THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rhino Green Hunting Now Forbidden in the Free State

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino Green Hunting Now Forbidden in the Free State
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
I have just recieved a note that with immediate effect the Free State Nature Conservation authorities will no longer allow "green hunting" of both white and black rhino in the Province.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Any theories why? popcorn

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Because it is Africa and nothing the government does makes sense.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
"Because it is Africa and nothing the government does makes sense."

No, not always the case. Andrew can confirm, but there has been a feeling within veterinary cirlces (not government) that the green hunting has been abused to the detriment of the animals with individual animals being darted too often.
Again, this is what I have heard anecdotaly from vets and not necessarily the official reason.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Any theories why? popcorn
You've come to the right place if you want theories!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
"Because it is Africa and nothing the government does makes sense."

No, not always the case. Andrew can confirm, but there has been a feeling within veterinary cirlces (not government) that the green hunting has been abused to the detriment of the animals with individual animals being darted too often.
Again, this is what I have heard anecdotaly from vets and not necessarily the official reason.

Karoo you right on the money! It became a industrie!

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
It's a shame -- I'd much rather dart a Rhino than shoot one.

I've heard -- as has every other hunter -- that darting was abused by some, but I've never seen any real evidence of this. In my case, a gov't representative and a vet always had to be in attendance and the individual animal darted was always put off limits to any kind of hunting for a year after -- and this has always been in the Free State in my case. So, you couldn't prove the rumors by anything I've seen or experienced.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if you read the regulations regarding rhino darting, the stated purpose was for scientific purposes, a vet is in attendance, and exams/blood samples are drawn on each animal darted. how much additional info do you gain by darting the same rhino 2-3 times a year vs. the stress you put on the animal( why do you think you must buy "life insurance" on the rhino in case he dies due to stress??). yes some farms may only allow 1 darting per year on an individual rhino, but who knows if they all had this policy and is it a government regulation or just the policy of a particular farm( and who enforces it?).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good. Aside from the fact that I think it's stupid, the word "green" is beginning to bug the hell out of me. What the hell is "green" about it?

It's like the "green city" concept. How can you call a city "green" when it's biologically sterile (virtually), just because it's energy-efficient?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned of this a few days ago when I asked my friend Kruger to arrange me a "green" Rhino hunt in 2013 for my 70th birthday present to myself. I plan to take Ele for my 69th BD present and Rhino would complete my 7. Distresses me as there would now be no longer any way to complete my quest!
Kruger's response was, "Uncle Tom, the greenies have won"

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
Can't you still go to say, Limpopo, and dart a Rhino?

Free State Nature Conservation Authorities should only have jurisdiction in the Free State, right?

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I so hope that other Provinces do not follow suit....interesting Free State decree that would hold vets responsible!!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote