THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who is your favorite African Legend?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is your favorite African Legend?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You know, if you could hunt with any legend from the past or present, which would it be?

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.A. Hunter

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Selous

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John"PONDORO"Taylor,or if he was otherwise engaged on a poaching raid I would request the company of another famous poacher Walter"KARAMOJO"Bell.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
Jane

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jane

Ditto..... jumping

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selous or Bell....

Or Bill Stewart...

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Frederick Russell Burnham who was an Arizona pioneer scout and was a Zimbabwe pioneer scout.Have visited his grave site at Three Rivers,Ca and Rhodes at Matopos in Zimbabwe and find them both inspiring. While not particularly known as hunters they are both responsible for the Zimbabwe we know today.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Selous.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor, or, Stigand

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Clem Coetzee

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walter.....

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Ionides

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
roosevelt or sutherland

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
selous

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here.

Peter Capstick

Okay, I know a bunch of monitors and keyboards just got sprayed with adult beverages but let me make my case. His books captivated me. Yes, he probably couldn't tote an ammo bag for Bell or Selous but his writing style created a legend. Back when I was dreaming of Africa his stuff was more contemporary (even if fiction).

He planted the African bug in me.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have 4 from three separate continets...

Selous & Hunter...Jim Corbett...Shasa Siemel

Mike cheers

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here.
Peter Capstick

No limb there, at least not for me. Capstick was an excellent writer, and an accomplished hunter. He inspired many to take a good look at Africa and other hunting locations. I wish I had been able to meet him before he passed, thank him for a job well done, and shake his hand. salute

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aagard. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Roosevelt

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selby, Aagraard, Capstick, and my Mom. All of them have inspired me , in one way or another to make the leap and go to Africa. Selby, Aagaard, and Capstick were and are in their own right the paradigm for "gentlemen" who knew rheir way around (differently, of course); my Mother piqued my interest (albeit to her chagrin) on even considering Africa; I will tell you without the tutelage, encouragement, and freedom to explore, I would not be doing or going where I am today.

Best to all,

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with others and say Selous. My second choice would be Teddy R.

If we are talking about the living, how about Craig Boddington? I wish I had the cash to bid on the SCI hunt this year with Craig and all the goodies. That would be a dream trip. Check it out in the SCI journal.

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking about Wally Johnson, the last white ivory hunter.

One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
John Sharp, and if it could get any better - him as the PH with Wilbur Smith along on the hunt

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It's a toss up between Ionides and Teddy Roosevelt.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Peter Capstick- after all, I am a PH myself, so would not need his "hunting skills", but I think he would be a blast around the campfire at night, and that is as important to me as the hunting.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Selous & TR, - spot and stalk from a bench mounted on the cowcatcher of the lunatic express.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hunt with Selous or Blixen.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
My Choice?...............Teddy Roosevelt

A hunt with him(and his son)would be "Bully"

BOOM

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natascha Illum Berg...

Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cindy G.

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter, Blixen, Taylor would all be great. Can't think of a bigger bore to hang around with than Roosevelt.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
RAY .... JUDGE.G (WALTER & SAEED)

Then to (cap it off) and add some sense of normality I would throw in {Craig Boddington} as the GUIDE

I believe with that QUORUM of professionals it would be one of the most productive, commical, and knowledgible hunting ssfaris one could ever wish for.

Can you imagine the camp fire stories (-:

CHEERS ... Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkside:
Cindy G.

Oopps! I forgot about her - me too....

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
On second thought, how about Wally Johnson, Walter and Cindy G.? (What a threesome!)

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
How about Bror Blixen, Bunny Allen and Cindy G all on the same hunt. Would bullets fly?! ....

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby! On of the nicest men i ever met!

If I could choose two; Harry Selby and his older cousin late Ken Randall, known as Africa's crayziest man! don't know if I would survive their pracical jokes however..

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Today's Legend,in Africa is to me Robin Hurt, and the legend, of old, is Taylor and Selous. In India Corbett was the MAN! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the slave working for tiboo tibb,then i could of killed the largest ivory on record

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Roosevelt

I am afraid Teddy would need to get in shape before I would want to hunt with him.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote