New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eland Meat in the USA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On my 1st hunt in South Africa I killed an eland. I enjoyed that meal of the largest
antelope; it was better than any beef.

Has anyone purchased eland meat in the USA from an outfit called Exotic Meat Markets? If so please give your opinion of that meat and the outfit.

If you have another source for eland meat in the USA please share that source.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
For some reason I don't think it would taste as good - I think it takes an African brai to give it flavor.. That and a cold Castle...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked into Kudu. What I found out is it cannot be sold as there are no inspection rules. I had a friend who works for Hormel see what he could find. His boss had already tried to import and it was no way.

There are hunts available in Texas but it would be cheaper to fly to RSA for dinner.

Along with not having a Castle to drink I do not think it would taste the same as it would be eating different plants.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, although I certainly have to agree with the sentiment to want to get some eland or kudu, and the flip side of the issue which is the difference in taste due to different diet, I can actually add a little something here. I suspect that this will not help specifically, but I know that there is a small specialty meat shop in the Italian market of Philadelphia that has these "exotic game meats". They are of course frozen and they told me that they are game ranched from Texas. I would be surprised if a little Google searching couldn't provide you with multiple sources.

I fell over the place when I visited the Market one Sunday. They place had more types of sausage than I knew existed on the planet, but it was a little seamy and the guy had way too much attitude.............

Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I looked into Kudu. What I found out is it cannot be sold as there are no inspection rules. I had a friend who works for Hormel see what he could find. His boss had already tried to import and it was no way.

There are hunts available in Texas but it would be cheaper to fly to RSA for dinner.

Along with not having a Castle to drink I do not think it would taste the same as it would be eating different plants.

Mark

I could definitely go for a good Kudu steak right now :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
There are several ranches in TX that have eland. Haven't looked into it too hard, but some probably offer "non-trophy" bulls, or "meat" bulls.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland is also one of my favorite meats, having eaten it on several African hunts. Upon return from my first hunt I too tried to find eland meat in the US. I ended up shooting a broken-horned cow eland on the Wendy Lou Ranch near Dublin Tx. Talk with Mike Odell, ranch mgr. & great guy, about a meat hunt. Fun time and Loads of steaks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I arrowed a large eland about one year ago. We ate part of it, the tenderloins, the next day.
I have to say it was excellent.
However, the atmosphere, and SA red wine may have contributed to its great taste.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to TX and shoot a cull. Or, exotic meat.com

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Have to say I am shocked at the lack of info about going to Texas and killing an eland there. Lots of guys do it and I assure you they all like the meat.Smiler

Go for it!!! I will send you my box number and relieve you of some of your burden. ')

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland is probably the best-eating antelope meat out there, which means the best meat period.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This brings a question.
Is there any: "Bringing meat home to the US from Africa hunts?
Too far?
No way to freeze solid?
Laws against it?
Thanks for the replies, this is something I've wondered about and never seen mentioned.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote