New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All: Can someone tell me the overall length of a .458 Lott cartridge loaded with a 500 gr. bullet?
I can find the case length, but not the loaded length...
Reason I'm asking is that I want to convert my .458Winchester to the .458 Lott, and the .458 Win.
uses a detachable magazine so need the loaded length to see if it will fit OK.

Thanks,

Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
3.60"

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
You could do a 458ar and not have to worry about it. COAL = 3.35" and you get lott performance.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady factory 458 Lott solid ammo measures 3.58".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were building a rifle from the ground up I would opt for the .458 lott. But to go though the hassel of converting a .458 win. It's simply not worth it. Your .458 win mag will kill anything that walks just as well as the Lott. Sorry Jack.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understood the reason a .458 Lott came to be,
is the .458 WinMag was too short to get the powder
capacity needed for good velocity. Sure, a .458
WinMag may do, but the .458 Lott should be better
ballistically, no?
Tom from Cody

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You go through all that hassle for up to 150 fps, a whole lot more recoil and not much difference in "performance," whatever that is.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
white bison,

Mark on the Southfork here. I agree you do get some improved ballisics with the Lott but I can't say that screwing around with your existing rifle is worth it. I'm a huge fan of the 458 WM. I promise particularly with the new powders it will do anything you want on big game. Gee! A 450gr. mono metal bullet at 2300fps just will whack the heck out of anything.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't I read that as loaded by Hornady the Lott was only 70fps faster than the Win Mag. This does not address itself to reloading and I covet a Lott but only to get 458 or slightly better velocity with lower pressures. If I owned a 458 Win I would just go hunt with it.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the way I understand it is the Lott was developed because the earlier powders were not giving the performance that was promised with the 458 Win Mag. They also had some reliability problems with the ball powder that was being used, it was heavily compressed and didn’t always burn properly. The new powders available now do eliminate these old problems. This coupled with new and better bullets largely eliminate the need for the Lott. If you feel the need for more stopping power move up to a .470 or .500.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WB,

How long is your barrel? With new powder and ENOUGH barrel length,

premium bullets in 450 grn, 480 or 500 grn will be A-OK in the .458 Win Mag.

Remember, it was meant to do what the 450 NE does, that being a 480 grn

bullet at 2150 FPS muzzle velocity. Best penatration is reported to come from
flat tip, driving band designed bullets like www.gscustom.co.za thumb.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......White Bison ,,,,What rifle do you have that has a detachable magazine in 458 ................Are you the first one on Accurate Reloading with a 458 Garand ???????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
gumboot458:

As I recall, the Styr Mannlicher .458 WM had a detachable rotary magazine.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I once had a French PH with a detachable magazine on a .458 Win Mag. He had half a roll of duct tape around the magazine so it wouldn't fall out. Must have gotten in the s--t once when it fell out unexpectedly, huh?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an aftermarket detachable magazine installed in my .458 Lott. It worked fine. Brownells has them but you may want to have a qualified gunsmith install it unless you can do your own gun work.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote