Find
Notify
Tools

Which Reticle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted
I have decided on a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm to go on top of my .416 Rigby, the question is which reticle do I go for?

Leupold offer the Duplex, Heavy Duplex and German #4. I will shoot majority plains game, I know I don't need a .416 for plains game but it is a hell-of-a lot of fun Wink. If I am lucky I will shoot 2 or 3 buff with this rifle. What do you suggest?

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd use the standard duplex

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would second buthloc.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought a lot of Europeans liked the heavy post? I looked through my Ph's rifle which had this reticule and thought it had advantages for quick pick up. Ditto the heavy reticule. Perhaps not suited for precision shooting, but then, I'm not sure the 416 was meant for that.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I like the German post, and have it in several scopes many people do not.

Im my Leupold big game hunting scopes I get the Heavy Duplex.
I have them in a 1.5-5, my wifes 1.75-8, in a 2.5-8, and in a fixed 6x42.

I was hunting with a buddy 2 days ago. He was suing his Marlin 45/70 with the Leupold shotgun scope with the Heavy Duplex that I had suggested he get.

After shooting a coyote in heavy brush at anbout 40 yards, he commented to me how he really liked the Heavy Duplex, and would never get another Leupold big game hunting scope with out it.

I bhighly recommend the Heavy Duplex.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 2.5x Leupold with heavy duplex on my .416, and have recenty swapped it out for a 1.75-6X with the same reticle. For actually hunting the heavy reticle is great, for trying to shoot little tiny groups at the range not as good.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really, really like the heavy duplex for thick brush or close shots. If the shots are going to be in the 200+ yard range, then I like the fine duplex (or Zeiss Z plex or mildot).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the standard duplex, its plenty heavy and I have never had a problem with it under any circumstances.

It also has the advantage of being able to hold over at long range..I don't like any scope that covers up too much landscape.

I also like the Leupold dot and the old standard cross hairs.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eighter a HD or a German#4.

The #4 is a genius that it have the heavy vertical and horisontal posts, and the fine cross hairs in the middle.
Exellent for quick shots in thick bush / close / bad light, and pin point accuracy with the fine cross hairs for longer shots.

The #4 sort of work like a gosth ring the way it draws the eye to the center of the reticle.
In my humble opinion one of the best reticels ever invented for big game hunting.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
German no#4 thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the #4 is better at moving game and for other reasons expressed above. I also like the top of the sight picture to be "open" for a better overall view of the animal and surroundings. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I would second buthloc.

I would "third" butchloc.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VX 111 1.75-6X on my M70 chambered in .375 H & H. It has a heavy duplex reticle.

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I will pitch in with the German #4 boys.
I have Leupolds with both Heavy and standard duplex but long ago someone got me to try the 2.5 -8 with the German 4 and I found you can get on moving game easy with the bigger horizontal part. I just level them up and pull the trigger. I figure if they are between the thick they are between the thin. If I need to shoot some P dog or somthing there is still the fine cross in the middle. Everyone I have introduced the scope to like it no end.
See you all in Reno on Wed!
Better tomorrows,
Mims

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the #4. I have transitioned over the years, and now all but my dedicated varmint rigs carry this reticle. Works great for centering itself without thought, but appears to be very "clean", or not have much in the center to distract the eye.

This doesn't sound very articulate, and most scopes probably "center themselves", but it sure seems to work the best for me.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ihave both the Heavy Duplex and the #4. I purchased the heavy duplex for my .375, originally for use on Alaska salmon streams for big bear, wanting the ease of perception in low light. It has worked very well both in Alaska and Africa.

I have the #4 in a Zeiss Conquest on a .300. After hunting with it, I feel it is a better solution than the HD in that the top is more open.

I now use a Khales with an illuminated reticle that looks a lot like the #4, and like it a lot.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 1.5-5x20 on my .375 with the #4. I really like it. I also have other Leupolds with the duplex and heavy duplex. I think target acquisiton is quicker with the #4.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to how those of you with experience feel about the post that Trijicon uses. I just got one from the classifieds, and am intrigued. I shoot standard red dots and it's an easy transition for me. But my opinion is based on experience shooting buffalo that I are pictures that I cut from magazines. They hold still, are out in the open, all hits are instantly fatal, and not one has ever charged.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the No.4 so much I would like to have all my rifles switched over to this reticle. It is fine in the middle for long range, very heavy posts for the brush or in poor light.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have the heavy duplex on my 375 and used it for plains game out to 220 yds (kudu) with no problems.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Thank-you all for the advice. It looks like the majority would go for the #4 - in my mind it was either the #4 or the heavy - but I am now heavily leaning to the #4. As soon as it is mounted I will post some pictures.

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I would second buthloc.

I would "third" butchloc.

I would miunus -four. stir

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have leupold scopes with all three of these reticles. Of the three my favorite, by far, is the german #4. My least favorite is the heavy duplex. If I had it to do over again all my hunting scopes would have #4 reticles.