Find
Notify
Tools

Which PH's Have.............
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Which PH's have guided clients to take over 100 bull elephant?

Some literature I'm reading says that Nixon Dzingai of SSG safaris has done so. That seems like a lot.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to many PHC and few others. Sorry, Scott, couldn't resist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
According to many PHC and few others. Sorry, Scott, couldn't resist.

Damn Adrook you beat me to it

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Magara Dirapenga has guided clients onto 300+ elephant bulls.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be tempted to put Buzz Charlton on that list.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I would recon Rory Muil might make that list.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Our very own Ivan Carter would probably also fit into that catagory.

Probably also Miles McCullum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about Will? coffee

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Probably more then we might expect. If Figure 10 a year for 10 years...it adds up.

I would have to believe that Buzz has shot with clients over 100 bulls.

Martin Pieters said he has taken over 130 w/clients in Botswana and Zimbabwe, and 10 himself.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider is the volume of approaches. I know we all get hung up on the stats (how many, how big...and thats fine), but an inherent element and attraction of trophy elephant bull hunting is tracking down an elephant, getting into shooting range, and declining to shoot.

On one trip we hunted hard 12 days, approached at least one and often two to three bulls or groups of bulls a day, got plenty of adrenalin rushes, but shot none. Many guys would consider this trip a failure but I don't. Likewise the PH didn't get to tick-off another "kill", but we did a lot more "elephant hunting" then most.

I consider each track that ends in a successful approach a success. Do enough of these, and maybe something good will happen. That is my hope w/my next ele hunt anyway! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Something else to consider is the number of approaches. I know we all get hung up on the numbers (how many, how big...and thats fine), but an inherent element and attraction of trophy elephant bull hunting is tracking down an elephant, getting into shooting range, and declining to shoot.

On one trip we hunted hard 12 days, approached at least one and often two to three bulls or groups of bulls a day, get plenty of adrenalin rushes, but shot none. Many guys would consider this trip a failure but I don't. Likewise the PH didn't get to tick-off another "kill", but we did a lot more "elephant hunting" then most.

I consider each track that ends in a successful approach a success. Do enough of these, and maybe something good will happen. That is my hope w/my next ele hunt anyway! Smiler

Its the truth, eh? Follow track, catch the ele or eles, make your approach, spend some time evaluating or just looking and watching, turn and leave, preferably without the ele or eles knowing you were there = great day of elephant hunting!

Sometimes actually dropping the hammer on one ends up a bit anticlimatic, and inevitable leads to some sadness, while walking away doesn't.

Too bad there can't be "catch and release" elephant hunting.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan Calitz should be on list

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet that Kai-Uwe Denker has as well.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Probably also Ganyana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
!00 bulls? Not me. Culling was mostly cows and calves, and generally on PAC work in Parks we tried hard not to kill the bulls. The safari operators got kind of twitchy when they heard you had baged a 68lb problem bull Big Grin

Guided clients onto, and shot yourself - as a PH are quite different things. Also, once you get your license, there is a long queue of apprentices wanting experience who get sent out to sit in a field swatting mosquites and occasionally shoot a PAC bull - PH's have a living to earn

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would expect as other have said that anyone might be surpised at the amount of PH's that have taken their clients to hundreds of ele's let alone all the animals taken in game control.

I would say that Zim PH's that are around my age probably have on average by far the most elephant and DG expereince of any Professionals in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
I have indeed guided on over 100 elephant bull hunts ... as far as what I have shot myself , apart from a bunch of PAC as a learner and early in my hunting career where we would shoot bulls in the crops , I have never shot a trophy bull of my own ...

last season I took 27 elephant , 7 of them cows. None were very big though. The biggest went 66 pounds.

I think you will be surprised how many Zimbabwe PHs fit that category , anyone who has done full seasons for over 15 years in elephant areas will fit into that category ... Also many Bots PHs take at least ten elephant in a year ...

I know until recently Johan Calitz has had 76 bulls on quota , he doesnt have very many Phs and many of them take 10 or more per year. The Bots guys really see proportionally the most heavy tusked elephants and shoot by far the most superior elephants ..from a pounds perspective.

i would be surprised if Kai Uwe Denker has shot that many , he hunts few but incredible quality there in bushmanland .I would say he has probably shot the most elephants over 90# of any practicing Ph on the continent today ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Something else to consider is the number of approaches. I know we all get hung up on the numbers (how many, how big...and thats fine), but an inherent element and attraction of trophy elephant bull hunting is tracking down an elephant, getting into shooting range, and declining to shoot.

On one trip we hunted hard 12 days, approached at least one and often two to three bulls or groups of bulls a day, get plenty of adrenalin rushes, but shot none. Many guys would consider this trip a failure but I don't. Likewise the PH didn't get to tick-off another "kill", but we did a lot more "elephant hunting" then most.

Its the truth, eh? Follow track, catch the ele or eles, make your approach, spend some time evaluating or just looking and watching, turn and leave, preferably without the ele or eles knowing you were there = great day of elephant hunting!

Sometimes actually dropping the hammer on one ends up a bit anticlimatic, and inevitable leads to some sadness, while walking away doesn't.

JPK
i vaguely remember seeing a video a few years ago where they were hunting eles with a paintball gun. exact same hunting procedure as normal- just take the brain or chest shot with a paintball gun, then back off quickly. PH of course was ready with backup rifle in case ele to exception to a new paint job. voila, catch and release!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13389 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get sweaty palms and dry mount moving inside of fifteen yards with a big bore double rifle. With but a paintball gun I think I'd be in the shorts changing league. That whole idea is just nuts! But sure sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

I imagine you best have that elephant on quota, in case he or she needs to be stopped. Can you just imaging trying to explain away that shooting as self defense because the elephant charged after you shot it with a paintball gun?!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is not all about the Killing of elephants... IT IS the HUNTING of elephants.

Hunting them up CLOSE.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:

JPK
i vaguely remember seeing a video a few years ago where they were hunting eles with a paintball gun. exact same hunting procedure as normal- just take the brain or chest shot with a paintball gun, then back off quickly. PH of course was ready with backup rifle in case ele to exception to a new paint job. voila, catch and release!!

Just lovely to see that there are so many true "hunters" here. A good and successful hunt ends when you have made the decission: The hunt is already over when you have decided to put that last bit of pressure on the trigger, or to turn around and back off!!
thumb

Paintballing an elephant? That sounds like a whole lot of fun! Is the desire to go paintballing an elephant the reason why SBT wants a list of really experienced elephant PH's to back him up? dancing

In good hunting!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet Dudley Rogers, owner of www.tshabezisafaris.com fits the bill.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Cobus Schoeman of South Africa must have shot over 100 HIMSELF

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Magara Dirapenga has guided clients onto 300+ elephant bulls.

Dave

David,

How about Roger or Barrie?

For that matter, how close is Richard or Peter? I think Richard has to be closer (if only because of my influence!. clap)

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Definitely both Barrie and Roger....
Hilton Nichols, I'm certain Buzz has as well, Butch Coaton very possibly, my brother Jonathan. Rusty Labuschagne most certainly, Alan Davies....

I'm obviously not sure of everyone's stats, but am now going to start asking. I wouldn't have thought many of the younger guys have guided 100 bulls yet, although one never knows until one asks. I mean Buzz is young, but he specializes in elephant. I will do some asking about. Rich sure has gotten closer to the mark because of you!!

Hope you are well,

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something else to consider is the volume of approaches. I know we all get hung up on the stats (how many, how big...and thats fine), but an inherent element and attraction of trophy elephant bull hunting is tracking down an elephant, getting into shooting range, and declining to shoot.

On one trip we hunted hard 12 days, approached at least one and often two to three bulls or groups of bulls a day, got plenty of adrenalin rushes, but shot none. Many guys would consider this trip a failure but I don't. Likewise the PH didn't get to tick-off another "kill", but we did a lot more "elephant hunting" then most.

Bill C!

Great attitude! I applaud you.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Bill C ,
i agree 100%
its rare to find someone who truly truly does not see a safari without a kill as a success ...i have guided a few people who have stuck to their hope for the size they want , returned to try again and i will say when they got their elephant it meant so much more ..

one example that comes to mind is my friend Gary Nielson , we hunted twice , once in omay and once in matetsi , the first hunt was 14 days and we shot two cows , and walked probably close to 200 km ...the second hunt we took a bull on the 16th day of the 17 day safari , it went 84# , a single tusker but hey , what a dream !

for me personally its about time around elephants , not just the killing .

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
worth waiting for !

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com