THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who makes bolt action rifles in .416 rigby?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes bolt action rifles in .416 rigby?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm aware that both CZ and Ruger make their respective bolt action rifles in .416 Rigby. Who else chambers rifles in this caliber? Aside from the truly custom rifles, does anyone else make production runs in this caliber?

I was hoping to find a Winchester model 70, or a Kimber Caprivi in .416 Rigby, but neither company lists this chambering. What manufacturers am I forgetting?

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kimber did but not sure now

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ruger, Dakota and CZ.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a H-S Precision made in 416 Rigby for my forest hunt in Cameroon. It is rust proof coated syn stock, light rifle with light felt recoil. It shoots factory norma softs and solids in 1.5 inches at 100 yards (3 shots each). Might do better with a better shot.
A nice feature is it is clip fed. I kept a clip of solids in it when just going through the forest for duikers, and accidentally running into elephants, buffalo and surprisingly gorillas. Then when we moved in on the Bongo I put in a clip of softs.
I love it but it is a not controlled round feeding so like the AK 47 it simply will not last.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Dakota probably makes or made the nicest out of box 416 Rigby. With a little looking you probably can find a slightly used one on Gunbrokers etc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like the ak 47 it simply will not last,THATS A GUT BUSTER !!!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
I'm aware that both CZ and Ruger make their respective bolt action rifles in .416 Rigby. Who else chambers rifles in this caliber? Aside from the truly custom rifles, does anyone else make production runs in this caliber?

I was hoping to find a Winchester model 70, or a Kimber Caprivi in .416 Rigby, but neither company lists this chambering. What manufacturers am I forgetting?

Bill

For about $1,500 over the cost of a Ruger, you can get a nicely worked over 416 Rigby from AHR, they give you a three position safety, nice wood, straightened bolt handle, good trigger and a real deep magazine box that I believe holds 4 Rigbys.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Mauser !

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
I bought a H-S Precision made in 416 Rigby for my forest hunt in Cameroon...
I love it but it is a not controlled round feeding so like the AK 47 it simply will not last.

SG that is hilarious!!

I understand the HS is about $3,000 and have talked with them about the accuracy of their rifles; great reputation.

So you have new .416 Rigbys from CZ at $1,000; Ruger at $1,600 to $1,800; HS Precision at $3,000; Dakota Arms at $5,500 and up. Can't recall if Empire makes a .416 Rigby but if so that would be $6,000-ish I guess. I'd love to have a Mauser in .416 Rigby but now you're probably talking as much or more as a Dakota. I also wish Kimber made the 8400 in the Rigby. I have seen the Kimber of Oregon rifles for sale now and then in .416 Rigby though. I had a Dakota in .416 Rigby and it was a beautiful and nicely handling rifle, but now I have the Ruger.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I have a Wisner custom 416 Rigby that I will cut you a SMOKIN deal on, pm me if interested.

p.s.
sorry if this is against the rules

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
If you have to have the 416, I would get the CZ & send it to Wayne @ AHR. You can go from minmal(but worthy) upgrades, up to his #3. He did an MRC 458 Lott for me & I absolutely love it.

If not that route, then I would get the Ruger.

Like you mentioned, Dakota is pricey, and I believe $6000 will hardly touch an Empire.

It was also mentioned finding used Dakotas, there seems to be no shortage of them around & I have seen them on GA and such sites in the $3000-$10000 range.....All it takes is $$$

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.
I currently own a Ruger 77 in .416 Rigby (which I like), and just recently sold my CZ in the same caliber. I really wasn't that happy with the CZ. When I sold the CZ, I just figured I would pick up a Kimber Caprivi in .416 Rigby to replace it. I hadn't done my homework to see that Kimber isn't cataloging that caliber.
The HS Precision is a real solid option, and I really like their light, mountain rifles. On a .416, however, I really want a wood stocked rifle, and that is not what HS Precision offers. While clearly the Dakotas and Mausers are fine rifles as well, you are now talking close to the price of a double rifle. It is certainly possible to get a fully customized rifle from a number of 'smiths for the same amount. I am really looking for a "working" rifle, and I could easily rebarrel a model 70 or Kimber Caprivi for much less. You are all confirming what I was finding out before I made this post. There are relatively few options in production bolt actions in .416 Rigby. It is good to know I wasn't overlooking other options.
Thanks for the help.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
In that case, already owning a Ruger, and not being a fan of the CZ, I would find a used Win 70 & have it built to my specs.....Personally I would do this before I owned an HS.

You could still be into it cheaper than a Dakota, and likely for close to the same price as the HS, but in a true proven DGR.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Thanks for all the responses.
I currently own a Ruger 77 in .416 Rigby (which I like), and just recently sold my CZ in the same caliber. I really wasn't that happy with the CZ. When I sold the CZ, I just figured I would pick up a Kimber Caprivi in .416 Rigby to replace it. I hadn't done my homework to see that Kimber isn't cataloging that caliber.
The HS Precision is a real solid option, and I really like their light, mountain rifles. On a .416, however, I really want a wood stocked rifle, and that is not what HS Precision offers. While clearly the Dakotas and Mausers are fine rifles as well, you are now talking close to the price of a double rifle. It is certainly possible to get a fully customized rifle from a number of 'smiths for the same amount. I am really looking for a "working" rifle, and I could easily rebarrel a model 70 or Kimber Caprivi for much less. You are all confirming what I was finding out before I made this post. There are relatively few options in production bolt actions in .416 Rigby. It is good to know I wasn't overlooking other options.
Thanks for the help.

Bill
just out of curiousity, what's wrong with the Ruger?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look around for a nice Kimber of Oregon African in .416 Rigby. They can be a very nice gun and I believe several dozen were made and are often available on various gun sale sites.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look around here on other threads?? Most likely looking for a .416 Rigby seems to be the least of your problems at the moment.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
A word of support needs to be said about the CZ (AKA Brno). I have a 416 Rigby CZ550, including the hogback stock (not my choice but what was available) and found that I really like the gun. Of course, it likes to produce sub-MOA 3-shot, what's not to like? (350gr TSX at 2650 - 2700 fps)
Anyway, my CZ is a very comfortable gun to shoot. And it gives one a little reassuring, comfortable shove that says that the other end is going to take a serious hit.
The CZ is not just a great, reliable gun, its a safe gun with a massive, strong action, Quite a way to democratize a calibre that the common man or woman can put to good use in dangerous bush. A 110 lb 13 year old son of a friend watched me sight it in once and asked if he could try it. I said 'Sure'. He fired a round right on target and I asked him what he thought. "Well, it does give a shove, but nothing that isn't managable." That lad is and will be a hunter.
So we should thank CZ for making such a rifle and action available at an affordable price. I used to say that about the Ruger.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
You might look around here on other threads?? Most likely looking for a .416 Rigby seems to be the least of your problems at the moment.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

yuck

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the new Montana PH action (which is supposed to be coming out soon) is available in the Rigby bolt face size. Montana barrels their own actions, I believe.

http://www.montanarifleco.com/...sional%20Hunter.html

I think Harmann and Weiss will make you one as well.

http://www.hartmannandweiss.co...lt-action-rifles.php

posted Hide Post
why not a .416 remington 700 for a little over a grand?

?

Posts: 6 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 15 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear2:

See if you can find one, Remington is chambering them at the moment. You could get a win mod 70 in 416 Rem.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear2:

Crappy extractor for one thing...

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would wait for the new M70 Safari to come out, pick one up in 416 and if you want the Rem Mag, rechamber and have her opened up for the Rigby. That's probably a 1500-1800 deal considering the custom work to the action.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote