New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis Deer hunting in Hawaii
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is the Africa forum but.......

I used to know of a few places but have lost contact or the situation is uncertain. My wife and I want to hunt for Axis deer in June on Lanai, Molokai or maybe Maui. I'd prefer a do it yourself fair chase hunt but would consider semi-guided or guided. Anybody have any current info on opportunities by chance?

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM JudgeG. He used to be stationed there, and did some hunting on the islands, but I don't know which one.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
C.K. Yap is one big name. You also might get some other leads from Ultramag. She guides pig hunts on Oahu. I think the deer are found on Lanai and on the Big Island.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Keith,

Love hunting chital deer. Sounds like fun.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here ever hunted the feral bulls of Hawaii? I believe they call them "Vancouver bulls"? I have seen them listed with some of the outfitters that exhibit at SCI in Reno. That might prove an interesting break from sipping rum on the beach. Wink

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith, You are correct those are the three islands that Axis Deer are currently found on. If you prefer a do it yourself hunt Lanai would be a good choice but I heard the roads have been washed out by recent rains just was there last week on the public area. I believe there are mouflon sheep also which may also be taken i'll need to check. I'll need to look for the contact info for Koele Land Company who runs the hunts I have it around here somewhere.

I'll be hunting on Molokai in June although this is a semi guided/guided hunt the trophy quality is outstanding and would be my personal choice if seeking an Axis Trophy. A friend of mine got a 38.5" buck last year and ive gotten quite a few between 32-36". The person to contact is Joey Joao @ 808-336-1425 if you decide on hunting with him youll need to call ASAP as he usually books quick.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask i'll do my best to get you what you need.

Aloha and Good Hunting!!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hunted birds at Parker Ranch on Kona with Pat Fisher. I had a blast! Parker ranch is a beautiful place to hunt and Pat is a great guide!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted free-range mouflon on Lana'i with Koele Land Company in December. (they own most of the land on the island) The axis had cast their antlers, but I am going back in June for a buck.

I had a very nice experience. Stayed at THE LODGE AT KOELE; first class operation. Contact Daryl Stokes - 808 565 3218.

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G, Thanks for your call. It was a pleasure to talk to you and I appreciate the leads.

I thank the rest of you for the names and numbers etc...and I'm calling soon. 10 days of beach going would be more than we can handle.

It will be one year in June since our wreck with the buff so doing some R&R and hunting is a good way to reflect on where we were a year earlier.

Happy Easter to all!

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The beautiful Indian Spotted Deer. Couldn't resist a few pics. Not Hawaii unfortunately.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox- Nice pics and yes they are very beautiful deer.

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Keith, Hunted Molokai a few years back with Eugene Yap and had an outstanding time. It would be our choice again should we do this hunt over.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308- I was just looking thru one of Eugenes brochures a few weeks ago and he didnt offer any Axis hunts in it. I know he worked with Joey awhile back to offer hunts on Molokai while he still operated out of Kahuku Ranch but has since stopped unless he operates with someone else now as Joey has taken over the hunting rights from Molokai Ranch the last couple years. What year did you hunt with Eugene if you dont mind my asking?

Happy Huntin'