New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sometime late in 1994, Guns & Ammo published a special magazine entitled Big Bore Rifles. That magazine contained an article by Craig Boddington, entitled "The Professional's Choice Today," in which he reported on the results of a survey he had conducted some six years earlier. He writes:

"Using the mailing lists for the International Professional Hunters Association and the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa, I sent short, one-page surveys out to several hundred active professional hunters, men who pursue their careers all across Africa. The 100-odd respondents run the gamut of the industry."

I can't quote the whole article, but I'll give a summary of the results. He asked these professional hunters what rifles they would recommend that their clients bring to Africa. Boddington asked for one-rifle recommendations, two-rifle recommendations, and three-rifle recommendations. Most of the PH's said that three is too many, so that category did not figure in the results.

For a one-gun recommendation, here are the results:

70 mentions for the .375 H&H
8 for .30-06
5 for one of the .300 Mags.
4 for 8x68S
3 for .270
2 for .338 Mag.
2 for 7mm Mag.
1 for 9.3x64
1 for .416 Hoffman
1 for .416 Rigby

For two rifles, these were the results (a slash / means one of that group):

19 mentions for 7mm Mag. + .375 H&H
18 -- .300 Mag. + .375 H&H
13 -- .30-06 + .375 H&H
15 -- .270/.280/.308/7x57 + .375 H&H
6 -- .300 Mag. + .458
5 -- .243 + .375 H&H
4 -- .30-06 + .458
3 -- .338 Mag. + .375 H&H
3 -- .375 H&H + .458/460
2 -- .338 Mag. + .458
2 -- .270 + .300 Mag.
2 -- 7mm Mag. + .416
2 -- .300 Mag + .416
1 -- .338 Mag. + .416
1 -- .30-06 + .416
1 -- 7mm Mag. + .458
1 -- .30-06 + .300 Mag.

Boddington notes that the .416s were just coming into prominence at the time he did the survey, so that if it had been done later perhaps they would have made a stronger showing.

Several other points, quoting him:

"It's interesting to note that all of the cartridges recommended are commonly available; there were no obscure wildcats and nothing obsolete. In combination with the .375, most respondents suggested a .270 Winchester, .30-06, 7mm Magnum, or one of the .300s. Several didn't specify an exact cartridge, writing down instead something like '.270-.30-06 - 7mm + .375.'"

And also:

"Flinching was reported as a common problem. Many professionals stated that, in spite of specific recommendations for relatively heavy cartridges, they would much rather see a client with a light rifle he could shoot than a more adequate rifle that he feared."

My conclusion: Despite the opinions of many who post to this list, there is indeed something between the 9.3s and the .22 lr, and the rifles that fit in that gap are very useful for a lot of African hunting.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-02-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

Administrator
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Talking to several PH about this subject, they all seem to agree on one thing - regardless of what caliber to bring along to hunt with.

The reflection on what caliber they recommend all depends on who have hunted with them in the past, and how those rifles performed in the clients hands.

That is you should take the rifle you know well enough to shoot well with.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67338 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In addition to the true comment made by Saeed above, there are other conclusions to be drawn from the survey.

Most of these guys only have a very vague interest in guns or ballistics.

As an appy, they tend to buy the cheapest rifle/ammo combination thay can find, or use the rifle someone gave them.

The current PH opinions cannot be compared to the professional hunters of Taylor's time, when the PH's were making a living shooting hundreds and thousands of large DG animals.

If you are shooting antelope in SA you probably don't need a 375, but it helps.

And it depends on the PH giving the opinion. PH's with extensive experience may have entirely different opinions.

I am sure Saeed has taken more buff and ele than most PH's. According to Tony Sanchez I have taken more elephant than most PH's, which is pretty scary!!

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-01-2002).]

Posts: 19331 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
I think Saeed hit it right on the head.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
What I have never been able to comprehend is the choice of two similar calibers for hunting in africa, eg. Someone choosing to take a 375 and a 416 as their pair?

Boddington makes the same comment in this article. In particular, he questions the logic of a .338 Mag. + .375 H&H pair, as they are so similar.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
That list is fairly long, and includes quite of few calibers. That should tell you something: Lots of cartridges or combination of cartridges will work - and work well - for just about any sort of hunting you'd care to do in Africa.

In a lot of ways cartridge selection is an overrated concern (sort of like a tidal wave in a tin cup!), even though it's a fun topic and it's certainly good for a lot of folks in the hunting industry who make a living selling rifles and ammunition to those who simply MUST have exactly the right ordinance on hand for all occasions, and who are convince that nothing they already own will do the job properly.....!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<Terry P>
posted
First of all, rifle choice would depend on what kind of safari you would be going on. Bringing two rifles of similar caliber makes much sense, as just bringing one rifle.. in that one rifle could back up the other in a pinch.
The choice of rifles for ex: 416Rigby and 375HH. This would be my choice of rifles to bring on a 21 day safari in Tanzania. Things can happen to rifles and do. If something goes wrong with either rifle, the other could back up. I would rather shoot buffalo with my 416Rigby but the 375HH would do fine. I would hate to have to hunt impala with my 416, but it is very accurate, and I always carry along some 350 grain bullets that shoot fairly flat. I would rather shoot impala with the 416 than be left with a 3006 with buffalo or elephant still left on license.
The same goes for plains game hunting say with zebra and wildebeest on license. I will be taking along my 375HH and 338Win. If the 375 goes down the 338 will do fine. I might add here, that my 338, is my rifle of choice for my general hunting these days, and has become one of my favorite rifles and I have made very long shots with it. Also in Africa I would rather be a little over gunned than under.
The safari's these days cost alot of money. It seems to me that having two calibers that do not have as big of a spread, that are near all round rifles, could be used on all the game just fine.
I think that in Boddington's book he also mentions that taking 2 rifles of the same caliber might not be a bad idea.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
In one of his books, Taylor makes exactly ALF's point. There is lot of really fun African hunting to be had with what the Master called a "small buck rifle." Without going into my library and thumbing the references I don't remember the exact quotes but I believe that he warmly commented upon the much-beloved 7x57 for this purpose. Certainly anyone who is fascinated by spiral horned antelope from bushbuck to eland only needs one rifle and that, provided he/she shoots carefully and uses long for caliber bullets, fits the old Mauser perfectly. Throw in the various African hogs, small carnivores up to and including leopard and you still haven't justified even my dear .318 WR! For the native African hunter a common, garden variety '06 or .308 is ideal. The only time the bigger ones come into play is for us tourist johnnies because we are the ones who will pay through the schnozzola to hunt the Big, the Bad and the Ugly. For us, I LIKE the pairing of the .338 and the .416, I LOVE a matched pair of .375's and I'm TAKING a .318 and a .404 . . . next time. (If I were after jumbo, it would be back to a one gun safari . . . the .450 Rigby! "When in elephant country, carry an elephant rifle."--Terry Wieland)

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been several comments here, on this thread and others, by people discounting the opinions of PH�s because they having only a passing interest in ballistics, have not shot as many animals as those who have gone before them, their clients have shot more, etc. I totally discount that view of things. The opinions regarding the effectiveness of calibers, cartridges, and bullets should arise from personal observation or eyewitness accounts of others. If two people are standing side by side when an animal is shot how is the one pulling the trigger going to forever after be more qualified then the �observer�? I submit that maybe the observer is going to have a better view, as he is not recovering from recoil. The only difference is who pulled the trigger and pulling a trigger does not an expert make.

Me thinks that those who have the above opinion have different views on caliber/rifle/cartridges then many PH�s so therefore the PH�s opinions can�t be right.

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would tend to agree with Howard on this topic. The knowledge or ability of the PH isn't in question here. He can and does observe what is being used and how it performs. He doesn't have to be the one actually doing the shooting to draw conclusions or make assumptions about the various calibers and how suitable they are for safari hunting.
While it is true that many PHs haven't shot all that much game, they damned sure have observed a lot of it being shot! I'd wager that a typical PH who works in Tanzania or Botswana has seen more elephant or buffalo shot than the average hunter has seen, period! They've seen what happens when the game is hit correctly, and what happens when it's not. Who among us has been there and watched 25 buffalo being shot every year for the past 10yrs?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
IMHO, I believe you shoot what you are capable of shooting well using resonable calibers based on the game to be taken. As far as who has seen therefore knows more, I'll take the guy that has pulled the trigger everytime when the chips are down in a DG situation when things go bad.

Happy New Year

Joe

<Terry P>
posted
I tend to think that in general the PH's do know what will work and what will not work but only in general.
I had a conversation with my PH about different calibers for buffalo. He seemed to think that the perfect buffalo rifle was the 500NE and that is what he used. I don't think anyone could argue much on that point.
But....he despised the 458Win and he thought the 458Lott owners were just kidding themselves. When asked about the 470NE he thought that was OK. ...go figure. Later on we were talking about light rifles (for antelope and such) and he mentioned he would like to buy a 6MM Remington rifle. He said he liked the 140gr bullets.
By looking at the posts on this forum you can gather that a rifle chambered in the 458Win. is only good for a rechambering to a 458Lott. By the same token the 470NE is just tops. I personally think the 458Win would be a fine buffalo rifle but a person would be scorned in certain camps. (and the trackers would glare at you )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry:

458 got a bad rap, for bad bullets, that exploded with no penetration.

Solids can keyhole if not properly stabilized, as well. Long bullet.
g
s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,
I can't resist replying though Terry P, Oldsarge, and even Saeed have made a good case for a pair of 375's or a 375 plus a 416.

I have used the 416 with 350 grain X-Bullet to take game at 342 yards. The 375 is an even better long range wonder with the right bullet, and more gentle in recoil.

Either one will do it all, and the other is just along as a failsafe. Adequacy and redundancy for any situation. A one gun hunt with a spare, an ace in the hole.

Some of us shoot the 375's and 416's as accurately as we shoot the small bores. My 375 H&H weighs 8.5 lbs. field ready, scoped, and with 5 cartridges on board. It is the perfect antelope or mountain sheep rifle and has slain buffalo and bear quite well to boot.

It was with a light and happy heart that I hunted Botswana with a 375 and a 416. No worries, I was ready for anything anytime, as long as I wasn't hunting with Mark Sullivan, and as long as I did have a competent PH, which I did.

A double rifle of 450/400 NE or larger is mandatory if hunting with MS.

------------------
Happiness is a warm double.
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LE270:
LE270,
The information that you posted from the article in Big Bore magazine is information that Craig pulled from his excellent book Safari Rifles. There is a lot of good information in his book and it is well written and layed out. It is a recommended read. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guides here in the states will tell you the same thing that I have heard there. They want the client to have a rifle that they are comfortable shooting and they can shoot well. Caliber makes some difference but they want it to be adequate. They would rather have a client with a .270 after elk than one with a new .340 Weatherby and the client is scared of the recoil. It still boils down to putting a bullet in the right place.

In Africa you have some min calibers on certain game but other than that, shoot what you can shoot well. (dont take the .22/250 of course).

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf:
Doesn't a 375 kick at least half as much as a 416, if you use a lighter, like 220 grain, bullet?

Why use a 30-06 with a 220 grain, when you can use a 375 with a 220 grain, and have higher velocity, and bigger diameter, if you want it?
It's all about choices, and the lower calibers limit the choice of bullet weights, and velocity, applicable to African game.

One thing to be said for an 06 is it has a LOT of bullet choices.
gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Socrates-
It's really not a valid comparison, trying to make a 220gr 375cal bullet as efficient as a 30cal of the same weight. Yes, the bigger case can drive it faster, all the better to tear that varmint style bullet apart!
I think the two rifle battery offers the user a lot of choices, and what those choices will be depends in large part on what game the hunter is after.
Say for example the hunter is headed for Tanzania with 21 days of hunting in store. Since the license includes all species available there, what is it he wants the most? If he is a spiral horn lover then a 300mag paired with his 416 might prove better than a 375 paired with it. Why? Well, let's say this hunter is like yours truly, and isn't all that hung up on shooting buffalo, like so many here seem to be. He is more interested in shooting the rare situtunga, lesser kudu, gerenuk or even klipspringer. Since buffalo are quite common and available on any hunt in about any country, why bias his battery towards them when the others require those 21 high priced days and are available no where else?
On the other hand, if all a guy wants to do is whack a buffalo or two plus a few common plains animals then he should arm himself accordingly.
Having done things both ways, I am convinced the the 300mag plus 416 is a far more useful battery than a 375 plus 416, at least for this hunter.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Some of the PHs didn't mention anything bigger than the 30-06 cased cartridges. I wonder if they were considering something like buffalo in the bag or just a plains game hunt. It's forsure the .375 is considered good enough for everything hunted in Africa by the vast majority. I just wonder if they had been polled on just a plains game hunt, if the .375 would have been the vast choice or just maybe a .30 mag?

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
My first safari I carried a .375 and my partner carried a .300 H&H loaded hot. I killed everything I shot at but he had to pay for a lost kudu and a lost eland. That may have been more due to misjudging shots (The Perfect Shot not yet being in print) that caliber choice but it made me not want to shoot anything as big as a moose with a .30 cal anything. The second safari was a buffalo special and we both carried .450 Rigbys and .300 H&H again. There were no lost animals! The pigs I shot dropped like stones. They should have as one was necked and the other brained. The buffalo sat down and died. Does that make the pairing of a .300 mag and a Class III the ideal? I think not. Certainly there needs to be something big enough for the big if you are hunting big. I like a medium for the alternative because eland are so damned big and taste so good. Would I pair a Class I and a Class II? No, I prefer a sub-DGR and a Class II though the .338 must certainly be as useful on dangerous game as a 9.3x62 even if it isn't legal. I can shoot all of my battery, especially when I'm scared. And I find that a 9 1/2 lb .375 hardly kicks at all. A Class III kicks, no matter what. So will a Class II. I guess that means that your choice is either to learn to handle the recoil or place lighter calibers veerrryyyy precisely . . . which is just what the PH's want us to do.

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John:
I don't like 300 mags. Period. If you can't get it done with an 06, get a bigger rifle.
I don't like magnums anyway. Too much recoil, for not enough benefit.

If I zero at 200 yards, whatever rifle I use, unless it's a 458, isn't really going to drop that much, using a lighter bullet.

If Gerald will get some of those HV's in 416,
oh, he has them. 330 grain, and with that form, boattail and all, I suspect I could get some ungodly kind of flat shooting load with it.

Or, with a 375. The ballistic coefficent on those has to be better then the 220 grain
30 caliber bullets.

How about an HV 265 grain out of a 375?
Light recoil, scary ballistic coefficent, and I'm sure they perform, without blowing up.

Gerald, where are you?
We need some ballistics, and comments about your bullets on plains games.

He's bullets aren't expensive, either.

gs

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:

The information that you posted from the article in Big Bore magazine is information that Craig pulled from his excellent book Safari Rifles.

This is correct. At the end of the article there is an editor's note that says: "The Professional's Choice Today" is excerpted from Craig Boddington's Safari Rifles (Safari Press, Long Beach, CA 1991).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Talking to several PH about this subject, they all seem to agree on one thing - regardless of what caliber to bring along to hunt with.

The reflection on what caliber they recommend all depends on who have hunted with them in the past, and how those rifles performed in the clients hands.

That is you should take the rifle you know well enough to shoot well with.

Yes. Boddington makes this point by quoting Joe Coogan. Boddington writes:

For clients on a one-rifle safari in most parts of Africa, Joe feels that "You cannot beat a .375 H&H Magnum. With a scope, it has long-range capablilities and can be used in thick bush with iron sights." He adds, "Once a rifle of suitable caliber is chosen in relation to the game to be hunted, the bottom line to a successful hunt is to be so familiar with it that bringing it to your shoulder and firing it to hit point of aim can be accomplished quickly and effectively. There is only one way to arrive at this type of proficiency, and that is through practice and lots of it. You cannot shortcut shooting practice nor quickly make up for the lack of it, which is the most common mistake made by those who go to hunt in Africa."

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
There have been several comments here, on this thread and others, by people discounting the opinions of PH�s because they having only a passing interest in ballistics, have not shot as many animals as those who have gone before them, their clients have shot more, etc. I totally discount that view of things.

Boddington also makes this point. The first two paragraphs of his article say (quotation):

On occasion, you'll encounter an African professional hunter who, as a firearms enthusiast, enjoys experimenting year in and year out with various guns and loads. In that profession, though, such a man is rare. More frequently, a professional hunter has neither the time, budget nor inclination for such experimentation. He'll find what works for him and stick with it.

On the other hand, the professional sees it all in the long procession of clients' rifles that come and go from his camps. He gets to see what works--and what doesn't--to a degree unmatched in the hunting world. In 20 safaris, I have indeed shot and seen shot a great deal of African game, and I've done it and seen it done with a wide variety of rifles, cartridges and bullets. But it would be foolish for me to presume to have the hands-on experience of an African professional hunter.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My next trip I will be taking the tried and true African Queen, my 9.53 HellCat, and her new son (no name yet) my 7.82 Patriot...both by Lazzeroni. I get tired of shooting bait with my 9.53 and I like to keep it sighted-in at a shorter range (1" high at 100 yards). The Patriot will be sighted in for a little more yardage and will carry a scope with a bit more magnification.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
LE270,

I think in the same article CB lists a separate chart for the big bore guns PH's like for the dangerous stuff. This, I thought, was very interesting.

Could you post this for us if you get a chance, maybe under a different topic? I would like to see it again.

Thanks LE270.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

[This message has been edited by Buffalobwana (edited 01-02-2002).]

Posts: 6257 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry P:
Bringing two rifles of similar caliber makes much sense, as just bringing one rifle.. in that one rifle could back up the other in a pinch.
(snip)
I think that in Boddington's book he also mentions that taking 2 rifles of the same caliber might not be a bad idea.

Yes. In this article Boddington writes, "Three professionals...recommended the .338 in combination with the .375. The utility of this battery eludes me. The two cartridges are superb but are so close in trajectory, energy and penetrating power that I'd prefer two rifles in either chambering to one of each."

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
And interestingly enough, that is just what Francois Edmond-Blanc was doing in the first half of the 20th Century. Surprise of surprises, he carried a pair of .375's.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, one rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge:
You maybe be right, with the wrong caliber.
What's a 416? All of a 375 with, insurance.
gs

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Soc,
As far as terminal performance is concerned, you are absolutely right. A Class II beats a Class I, period. What the .375 offers is a little less weight and less recoil. That doesn't mean that you can't make a .375 just as unpleasant and damned near as effective. Woodleigh's new heavier bullets for the .375 in a fast barrel will make the .416 wake up and take notice, given the superior frontal area of the Class II, of course. Still and all, the .416 is an African caliber and has little use outside the Dark Continent. The .375, on the other hand, is the World Rifle. It's effective on anything from dik-dik to jumbo, easy to carry if you're in any kind of shape at all and gentle on the shoulder. This last may not be important now but, but as Ray will witness, starts to become more and more appealing as one's joints age and stiffen. My first buff went down flat to a Class III .450 Rigby. I am moving to a Class II .404 . . . unless I get lucky and somehow come up with a Problem Elephant ticket. Then it's back to the Rigby! Why? 'Cause most of today's Army can't even remember my war!

Sarge

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
A Class II beats a Class I, period.

In what sense of "beats"? Has higher recoil? Kills more dead? Shoots heavier bullets? Has a flatter trajectory? Is more accurate? Is heavier, and thus will make the hunter who carries it more tired more quickly? Stops elephant or buffalo charges more quickly? -- well, probably so, but what if you aren't hunting elephant or buffalo, but instead hunting animals of 500 lb. or less body weight?

I'm not trying to be snotty, but, instead, to suggest that this preference for what you call Class II over Class I cartridges is not obviously supported by good evidence, and that it may, at least in some cases, be positively misplaced.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-05-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Excuse me? Did you read the whole sentence or are you, indeed, trying to be snotty? Socrates allowed as he thought that that a .416 was a .375 with extra insurance and "AS FAR AS TERMINAL BALLISTICS IN CONCERNED . . ." I agreed with him. That's all I said. Then, if you were to read the rest of the post, I went on to state that overall I preferred a Class I .375. Don't put words in my mouth.

One-each P****d off Sarge

[This message has been edited by Oldsarge (edited 01-05-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldsarge,

You're right; my mistake. I didn't read you carefully enough. You do indeed go on to imply that you prefer a .375.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-05-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE270,

I think for any type of shooting a case can be made two riflesin the same caliber or two that are close such as 338 and 375 or 375 and 416.

A friend of mine has a 25/300 Winchester as his main rifles. He has one set up for light ballistic tips and the other with 115 grain Barnes X bullets.

Lots of convenience when rifles are the same caliber.

If you take a 338 and 375 and had the 338 loaded with 200s and the 375 loaded with 300s, there is quite a gap in the performance.

A long way from Africa but the principles are the same is how I use a 375 in Australia.

One is set up with 220 Hornady flat noses loaded to just over 2000 f/s with 39 grains of what would be H4227 Extreme. That is fully equal in convenience for large volume spotlight shooting as any 223 or 308. Yet I have the convenince of all the same gear for reloading etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375,

First of all, what is the 25/300 Winchester? Is that a misprint, or is it a wildcat .25 caliber on the 300 Winchester case? In any event, I am unfamiliar with that caliber.

Now, to the substance of your post: It seems to me that taking a hunting trip with two rifles of the same caliber set up to shoot two very different loads (case A) defeats the point of having two rifles in the same caliber set up the same (case B). In case B, you will have one set of ammunition that is interchangeable between the two rifles. But in case A you'd have to have the ammunition marked and tied to the particular rifle, and you'd therefore always have to worry about whether you had the right ammo to go with the rifle in hand. If your two rifles are in significantly different calibers, then it is -- usually anyway -- easy to tell which ammo goes with which rifle because one set of ammo is significantly different in size from the other.

If you have a .338 and a .375, then you won't have any saving or convenience in having one set of dies, bullets, brass, etc.

If you're going to have two rifles of different calibers, then it seems to me that a .30 caliber or 7mm in combination with the .375 makes more sense because you can load the smaller caliber with 200 or 180 or 160 grain bullets and have something that has a better sectional density than having 200 grain bullets in a .338, and -- depending on the load -- it is likely to kick less.

Actually, the .243 + .375 combination makes a lot of sense to me. You'd have the .375 for everything except deer-sized animals and smaller. For those -- plus if you want to do plinking, varmint shooting, or whatever -- you'd have the pleasant-shooting .243.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE270,

25/300 is 300 Winchester necked down to 25. As an aside the subject at hand, a mate of mine has been to Africa 4 times and has shot something over 100 plains animals. He has used 300 Wby with 180 X, 7mm STW with 160 X and 140 Failsafe and 257 Wby with 115 and 90 Barnes X. He has also shot Elk out in Australia in what would be like one of your ranch hunts. His last Zebra was taken with 90 X in the 257.

His general conclusion was the 25 magnum was the best to have. The 25/300 Wins have just been set up instead of 257 Wbys as they offer some advantages.

Personally, I don't like the idea of two rifles of similar caliber and much prefer the same caliber.

In y case I own three 375s. One is setup with the reduced load mentioned which covers spotligthing, plinking or whatever. A second one is setup with 270 Hornady round noses which I use for allshots out here that are not spotlight. The third one I fiddle with different loads and generally waste both time and ammo

One of the rifles is also having a barrel with sights done in 300 H&H, just to have it.

My mate originally, was similar in thinking to you in that he always had is rifles in different calibers. However he has recently changed to the idea of same caliber in different rifles.

The closest I will get to Africa will be camles out here either this year or next. For that I would have a 375 loaded with the 270 Hornady round noses and in the other rifle I would have different bullets for experimenting.

I will probably try 270 Failsafe and 270 Woodleigh so that will allow in conjunction with the Hornady the three basic bullet types available to be compared.

The conclusion I came to years ago (it might not be right ) was that for 95% of the shots fired it would not matter too much whether you had a 300 Win, a 270, a 375 or Ruger Number 1 in 470.

So for me, multiple rifles in the one caliber is the best.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Of course shooting conditions do vary and alsp there is each to his own.

However, would you agree if aomeone was to post that thee chosen battery for Africa was a 30/06 and a 375, that selection would be deemed appropriate.

For me, I can shoot a 375 and 30/06 the same. There is no advantage for me in a 30/06. If I can shoot bot a 30/06 and 375 the same, waht advantage doesa 30/06 and 375 have over a 375 and a 375.

Now in the case of my own conditions, both a 30/06 and a 375 have too much recoil for several nights spotlighting. So in either case they would have to be loaded down.

Mike