New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save safari operators
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm researching safari destinations and the Save is one area that I'm interested in. I know of a number of quality operators there. How many safari operators are there in the Save and who are they? Thanks.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Save Safaris, Leon Duplessis, Mike Payne on Martendere and Gurundwe (sp)

Mokore (not Makore) Safaris, Barry, Gary, Neil Duckworth on Makore, Angus (?), and one other

Zambezi Hunters, Jonny Hulme on Sango, Chupungu and ARDA/Mkwasine and Nyangambe

Charlton McCallum Safaris, Buzz Charlton, Miles McCallum on Hammond

Terry Anders, Forever African Safaris on Savuli

Pro Safaris, Norman Crooks on Chishakwe

Roger Whittall Safaris, Roger Whittall on Humani

Shanghan Safaris, Clive and Glenn Stockil on Senuko

Brooklands (not Woodlands), Dale Donza Desfontain on Msaize

Not sure who is on Impala.

I'm sure I've left off a couple.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mokore Safaris - The Duckworths

www.mokoresafaris.com

Just making sure you have the correct spelling, beleive me you can almost always trust safari-lawyer's words on the Save.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
The company listed a Woodlands should be listed as Brooklands Safaris.

I have hunted with Dale Des Fountain on 2 different Safaris, both of which I hunted several days in their SAVE Valley conscession.

He is a great PH, and they have a great area, and camp there.

Brooklands is a great company to hunt with.

Go to their web site they have some pictures of animals taken there.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Leon and Mike @ Save Safaris are hard to beat.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
just out of curiousity, how big is the "average block in the Save area? if an oufitter has 2 blocks versus 1, is his area roughly twice as big?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Save Safaris - Mike Payne and Leon Du Plessis

These guys run a first class operation and have an abundance of game. I hunted with them in June and am booked in August 2012 for buffalo / plains game. I saw some real big buffalo there in June - can't wait to get back. The fact that there are no tsetse flies in the Conservancy is a real bonus.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
just out of curiousity, how big is the "average block in the Save area? if an oufitter has 2 blocks versus 1, is his area roughly twice as big?

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
So would the AR members that have hunted the Save recommend it for a first time buffalo / plains game hunt with buffalo being the primary objective? If so who would you recommend and what season? I'm looking at a 2013 hunt.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woodlands, Dale Donza Desfontain on Msaize

I like Brooklands (Woodlands), don't forget Graeme Jones who hunts with Donza! They have taken some unbelievable Lion there, as have most of those guys in Save. Donza and Graeme seem to make quite a team.

Graeme used to do hunts for me in Moz with Hougaard, which is how he and I got together.

Have to mention Glenn (Shangaan) too, who I do most of my Save business with. They also have done an excellent job with everyone I have sent to them.

But that said, hard to go wrong with Zambezi too! I have no experience with Mokori, but many AR guys have had excellent hunts with them.

Seems unfair to leave a lot of these guys out as the Save is a fantastic place!

Ah, choices, choices ...

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
So would the AR members that have hunted the Save recommend it for a first time buffalo / plains game hunt with buffalo being the primary objective? If so who would you recommend and what season? I'm looking at a 2013 hunt.

Thanks!

YES! The Save is a GREAT place for buffalo and the plains game is GREAT as well.

I've shot 6 buff bulls (and two cows) in the Save since 2009. All were shot with Zambezi Hunters and Thierry Labat. It is a great place to hunt buff from March (very green, but rut is on) through November (hot and dry).

I've shot mine in June (1), July (3), and October (2) and I shot Two on Sango, Two on Hammond, one on ARDA, and one on Nyangambe.

I hope to shoot another in June of 2012.

All of my reports are linked below.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:

Thanks!

Yes, would recommend it! If you want to see it too, I've got a couple of videos with great hunting footage from the Save Conservancy? I'm happy to send em to you?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Jerry, for reference, Hammond and ARDA are roughly 40k acres.

Sango (including Chapungu) is roughly 160k acres and originally consisted of four separate ranches.

Savuli, I've heard mentioned as 12-14k acres.

The map is nice, but not all of those areas are still in the conservancy. Mkwasine is out, though Mkwasine Estate and Nyangambe, south of ARDA and Hammond are not shown on the map but operate as part of the cons.

I think Mukwazi is out.

Not sure about Mapari, but smarterthanu and 505gibbs would likely know the answer.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Mokore in August this year. While I can't speak first-hand about the buffalo (though I did see some very nice skulls around the skinning shed) I can say that the plainsgame is excellent. I took Rowland Ward-class eland and bushbuck, a couple very nice impala and a bushpig. Had I wanted one, a kudu in the mid-fifties would have been easy. (I saw at least a couple dozen in ten days.) Lots of wildebeest, giraffe, waterbuck and zebra as well. The only thing I did not see was a really big warthog, though I did see several "shooters."

I hope to get a full report up shortly after Christmas.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Chuck 375,

For the record, I have not hunted in the Save. But I understand from talking to Buzz (Charlton McCallum Safaris) that Hammond (which CM Safaris now controls) has some tremendous buffalo and despite its relatively small area actually controls a disproportionately significant portion of the total Save buffalo quota in comparison to the area's size. You should drop him a note to get more specifics.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Which area did CMS recently acquire?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hammond.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I've had clients on Mokore, Savuli, Sango, Hammond and most recently on Chishakwe. They have universally had wonderful experiences. The Save is always my first choice for the most bang for the buck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I hunted with Mokore in June of 2010 and had a wonderful hunt. The temps were great too - 40's in the morning and 70's mid-day.

I think Mokore is more like 40k acres with Umkondo being another 30k. Will's estimate of Savuli as an example is a little low I think as it is bigger that Mokore.

The Save is a wonderful place and about perfect for buff and plains game in my mind. Plus you'll see (or have a chance to)the other Big 5.

Posts: 124 | Location: Zionsville, IN | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck375

In short Yes I wouod recommend the SAVE for a first time cape buff hunt or your 20th cape buff hunt. They have some really big buff there.
They also have excellent plains game, and big leopard. I have taken cow elephants there as well.

As I stated above I have done 2 different hunts there with Brooklands. Their area was excellent, and their camp is excellent as well. They even built a pool for my second hunt as I was bringing the wife. Big Grin

Well that is what we told HER.

And while she is a very experienced hunter I will NEVER take her to Africa again...

It was a DISASTER... shocker

She shot more game than I did. Mad

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mokore, simply outstanding. The Duckworths, you will not find better hunters or people. I was there this August and have booked again for June 2013. Exceeded my expectations in everyway. 2 Buff, Kudu - 58 1/2" , Eland, Bush pig,these all came in the first three days of a ten day hunt. My hunting partner had much the same and he is booked again aswell.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it looks like there are a lot of options there, more than one safari to do it right LOL. It's going to be fun picking the right one!

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will put a disclaimer that I am NOT an expert on the SAVE, having only hunted there once (on Senuko), but it is my impression that Senuko, Hammond, and ARDA have the most Buffalo. As was stated above, Hammond has a higher proportion of the Buffalo quota compared to size, and most of those herds make a circuit among there, Senuko, and ARDA. Senuko also shares herds with Humani.

I know the plains game hunting is terrific on Senuko as well.

Not to say any of those 3 offer the best hunt or best value, just providing what opinion I have. I think most of the properties in the SAVE would provide an excellent Buffalo/plains game hunt.

One thing to note, if you're after specific plains game, be SURE to ask before you book, because while the SAVE holds good numbers of all the animals listed in the price lists you look at, they are NOT evenly distributed. If you're interested in 3-4 particular animals, that might pare down the list of "best" properties very quickly.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hammond has a higher proportion of the Buffalo quota compared to size, and most of those herds make a circuit among there, Senuko, and ARDA. Senuko also shares herds with Humani.

Very true. More buff down south.

Hammond has 10
ARDA has 16 (I think)
Not sure about Senuko, but it has plenty.

Herd on Hammond

On ADRA

By comparison, Sango is four times the size of ARDA and has about 13 buff on quota.

More PG, however, in the North.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, lots to think about. I'm going to SCI Vegas in Feb, I hope to meet you all. Are we picking an afternoon / evening to go out for drinks (no camera phones lol!)

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I am sure you'll be just fine anywhere in Save. Here is my report from Senuko with Shangaan's:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=352105965#352105965

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote