New
Find
Notify
Tools

its the last day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's the last day of your safari. You've walked what feels like a thousand miles. The scratches on your neck and arms from the thorns feel like they were cut with a dirty butcher knife. The tsetse fly bites are itching so bad that you thing perhaps you will soon have no skin left from scratching. The back of your neck, your arms, your legs all look like the color of the blood that has dried from the thorns. You drink and drink, but are still thirsty. But, you've been here before. This isn't your first trip, but you are beginning to feel old and think that it might perhaps be your last. What a waste. You've come for that big guy. The one that you have always dreamed of, but he didn't show.
Now you're sitting in the back of the cruiser with the sun low in the sky. Feeling sorry for yourself that you didn't see him. You remember the dollars and think that it could have been spent elsewhere. The bouncing of the cruiser going down that damn bumpy road is hurting your back. Now all you have to look forward to is the long long plane ride home. Always before you would look forward to the next trip, but not this time. Damn where was that big fellow, why didn't he show.
The sun has disappeared behind the cathedral mopane. You hang your head in disappointment.
Then albert, your tracker, starts beating on the roof of the cruiser. Your PH's head whips around, and you lift your head. There, behind the bushes, it can't be, you're all done, but it is. The big guy is there, unaware of your party. Adrenaline rushes through your body. You all but fly out of the cruiser, and run hiding behine the cathedral mopane.
Resting the rifle against the tree, it seems to go off all by itself, and he is on the ground. Getting close, he is all you hoped for and even more. It's the last minute of the last day. You're no longer sixty something, you're 25 again. The pain does not exist anymore, only the feelings of success, modified by those of guilt. It's the last minute of the last day, but now you know, there will come another after all. See you next year

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
another winner, butch.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Adrenaline rush! That is why we do it! Big Grin

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Oh, Hell yes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote