New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southern Africa GPS Maps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Grateful for advice/websites for best GPS maps of Southern Africa to download into a new Garmin handheld. Off to South AFrica/Namibia on 11 Aug.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a old GPS but it works great and I have never had the batteries fail. I just look at the tracker and ask where the F^#k are we and he tells me precisely where we are rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GPS will be doing double duty a) driving around South Africa and Namibia; b) in the bush with no tracker (!) on those few occasions when I'm on my own in 70,000 acres.

Besides, I'm a gadget junkie Smiler.
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at "tracks4africa".

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DawnRoar:
Take a look at "tracks4africa".

www.track4africa.co.a, use them a lot for the past 6 years

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a micro sd card from Garmin that plugged into an sd card slot on the side of my Garmin Nuvi GPS. It fired right up and guided me from JNB to Kruger and back, to Kimberley and back plus driving to shops around Afton House. No issuses. Got it from an on line store found on google. I think it was $85 shipped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Garmin Oregon 450 (gave it to my PH two years ago) and a 550T with the Garmin maps.

Use it to drive around Windhoek, Swakopmund and Walvis Bay and just to marks kills with photos and just as a backup in case the PH gets hurt.

The Garmin streets and addresses for Namibia seem pretty current - been able to find restaurants, B&B's and most any place with a street address.

The Garmin maps don't contain topo info for Namibia (don't know about ZA) but they seem to contain all government maintained blacktop and gravel roads.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Have noodled around the web and found a South African site, www.garmaps.co.za, that seems to be Garmin specific and has, for about $170, what looks to be serious maps of Southern AFrica, possibly including topo.

Will follow up.

Regards, Tim

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Tim: Let us know the outcome.