New
Find
Notify
Tools

EA Glamour Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We see lots of reports and photos of buff, ele and kudu on the forum; however, it is relatively rare that we get to see some of the East African "glamour game" (L. Kudu, gerenuk, huge EA impala, Grants and Roberts gazelles).
Any good recommendations on best spots for these species? Photos. Outfitters.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a few on my website here:- http://www.kuduland.com/hunting-in-tanzania.htm
Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hi Hugh - As you know I have a report on the Hunting Reports - Africa Forum w/lots of pictures taken from a hunt this past December in Lobo & Lolkisale with Tanzania Bundu Safaris (Adam Clements). ---> CLICK HERE

But here's a few of just the animals:

LESSER KUDU:

GRANTS GAZELLE:

FRINGED EAR ORYX:

EAST AFRICAN ELAND:

WHITE BEARDED WILDEBEEST:

COKES HARTEBEEST:

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Yes, you lucky rascal I remember your hunt well! Including your Tommy! I am just kicking tires and dreaming of the day when I can seriously hope to bag a big lesser kudu, gerenuk and maybe a nice oryx.

Congrats again on your excellent hunt! Hugh

My mounts should be completed in the next month and I will post picks of my buff and grants!

Remind me Bill, didn't you take all three of those trophies on Lobo? I remember you got your Tommy at Lolkisale along with that fabulous bushbuck.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
All are beautiful. I especially like the lesser Kudu! thumb

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hugh, The Grants and Oryx came from Lobo (+ a Buffalo), and the rest of the critters were from Lolkisale where I spent the majority of the time.

The trophies are in transit [already], and with any luck should be in NY at F&F any day now (if not there already). 2-months from the end of the hunt - pretty impressive!!!

Thanks Bulldog!

Cheers, Bill

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I will be in Lokisale in Nov with Brian van Blerk. I reread your report every now and then to get me excited about it.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh W,
Well, you asked for it. These are all from the Omo VAlley in SW Etiopia over the last 2 years.

Southern Gerenuk

36" Lesser Kudu

Northern Grants Gazelle

Tiang

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich!

Wow! I was thinking that I miss-titled my post.
Was wondering if people thought I was writing about Cindy Garrison! Wink

Nice Gerenuk and awesome L. Kudu.

Hugh

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is as close as I can come up with a 'Glamour" shot. Before anyone gets too carried away the lady behind the 16.5" Gerenuk is my wife. She used to spend a lot of time in the Omo camp when I was elsewhere..usually the elephant camp at Tepi or Gura Farda. Those were the days....

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Rich

I got your brochure from ERVS. When I opened it up and saw the picture of that HUGE Lesser Kudu, I thought I just might wet my self! clap That thing is HUGE!!! I've got a question for you though: Why are Leopards from Ethiopia not importable to the U.S.?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Here's another picture of that awesome 36" Lesser Kudu with the horns skylined a bit, as previously posted by Rich.

That has got to be one of the best trophies ever shot regardless of species...well, except maybe for that 41" Mountain Nyala. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great photos guys. The lesser kudu is one of the animals on my top 5 list. Just curious, are the lessers as wary and elusive as the greater kudu?

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, You had to put up with Greg Bond and Wilson Stout at the same time?
You should get combat pay!
Smiler

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Here's another picture of that awesome 36" Lesser Kudu with the horns skylined a bit, as previously posted by Rich.

That has got to be one of the best trophies ever shot regardless of species...well, except maybe for that 41" Mountain Nyala. Big Grin

That lesser kudu is a 70" greater kudu, a 50" buffalo, and a 100 lb elephant all rolled into one.

quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
Great photos guys. The lesser kudu is one of the animals on my top 5 list. Just curious, are the lessers as wary and elusive as the greater kudu?

More so, in my (unfortunately) limited experience.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Rich

I got your brochure from ERVS. When I opened it up and saw the picture of that HUGE Lesser Kudu, I thought I just might wet my self! clap That thing is HUGE!!! I've got a question for you though: Why are Leopards from Ethiopia not importable to the U.S.?

From another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Ethiopia has a very liberal CITES quota for leopard. It's mostly used to sell confiscated skins and the Melenistic incidence is app. 20%.
We only have 3 sport hunting leopard licenses and those are in two of our Mt. Nyala Concessions. Americans cannot import Ethiopian Leopard because of the Endangered species act. In 1977 when the questionaire went out to the range states thus facilatating the import of leopard into the USA from "Sub Saharan" Africa, Ethiopia was in the middle of the Communist Revolution and there was no one in the Game Department with enough guts or gumption to fill out the paperwork. With no hunting going on at the time it was a moot point anyhow. With our measly 3 permits we find plenty of clients outside of the USA. BTW, that's why I took mine in Zimbabwe a few years ago.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh W:
Any good recommendations on best spots for these species? Photos. Outfitters.

In Tanzania, the very best Masaailand area to hunt Grant's, Fringe eared Oryx, Lesser kudu and gerenuk is without question the Lake Natron area. The 2 outfitters that occupy the entire Lake natron concession (North and South)are TAWICO and Wengert Windrose safaris/TGT.

Robert's gazelle are only huntable in the Maswa GR, Loliondo and Grumeti/Ft. Ikoma/Ikorongo concessions. Maswa is divided amongst 3 outfitters namely, TGT, Tanzania Big Game safaris and Robin hurt safaris. Loliondo is exclusive to the Dubai ?? Royal Family and Grumeti/Ft. Ikoma/Ikorongo is now a private reserve belonging to Tudor Jones.

The very best E.A. Impala come out of Maswa year in and year out. Same as buff Wink

Happy hunting!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a bog stink in Loliondo when supposedly the UAE royal family were shooting animals not on license and taking animals back with them to the Middle East? For some reason I think it was Abu Dabi. Anyone remember that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
The only time I have to put up with Greg and Wilson at the same time is at Dallas. Wilson comes back to the Omo July 07. I just know he's gonna want a carbon copy of Greg's Lesser Kudu. Eeker

ForestB

That Lesser Kudu is only 1/2" overall better than one a client took 15 months earlier. That one is number one in the current SCI Record Book

The lesser won the APHA "Robin Hurt Award" for 2004. That 41" Mt. Nyala won it for 2005.

2006 remains to be seen but it's getting to be a tough act to follow. Cool

Charles-Helm,
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Thanks, wave

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Charles-Helm,
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Thanks, wave

Rich Elliott

rotflmo

Sorry -- just saving some time since I had read your explanation on the other thread.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote