THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Official Leopard Hunting Announcement by NAPHA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Official Leopard Hunting Announcement by NAPHA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just read the official statement from NAPHA here:

http://www.africahunting.com/h...ouncement-napha.html http://www.africahunting.com/h...ouncement-napha.html

Looks like the government will be charging N$ 5000 per Leopard tag and only give 2 permits per outfitter.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
It looks as if the use of dogs is out and there is an interesting set of requirements for signed photos as well.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great news, A small fee is nothing to pay to keep another country open to Leopard hunting!

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowymthunter
posted Hide Post
How does the $5000 Namibian dollar fee for leopard compare to the government fee prior to these new regulations? Thanks. Brian

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 126 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
snowymthunter, there was no tag fee previously, just a N$ 100 licence fee, and a trophy fee that was either payable to the government, comunnity, or land owner, depending on who's land the cat was hunted.
The tag idea will propably be a little strange at first, as once bought, we can resell it if the hunt was unsuccesful, so I imagine most outfitters will have it either build into their trophy fee, or might have a sliding scale on it for the next hunter to take over an unused tag. the safe thing would be that you make sure that your name is on that new hunting licence, and that you have first dips at a tag, before handing over a substansial deposit.
Another interesting point in the new regs, is that no female leopard will be allowed to be shot as a trophy.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
any word on cheetah?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the new Reg's. What I see is a application period of Oct thru Jan. Jan. is long gone for this year. Unless there is some type of exception for this year, I don't see any leopard hunting until Oct of this year. Is this right?

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also see that females cant be shot. Not that one would want to but in the past it was allowed.

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Since female leopards now have no value, I wonder what is ultimately going to come of all this.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia used to be a good place for Leopard at a reasonable price. Looks like those days are gone. Without dogs I would suspect that it would be quite difficult to get a Leopard in Namibia.
FWIW, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbanger:
Since female leopards now have no value, I wonder what is ultimately going to come of all this.

Other than making it slightly more difficult for the PHs that shouldn't make any difference. Tanzania for example effectively hasn't allowed females to be shot for many years and of course the quota system ensures the population isn't overshot. Although it must be said that baiting obviously isn't as successful as hunting with dogs.

Namibia has always been a fairly good option for leopard and I see no reason why that should change.

What I do think could be a problem is the particular system they seem to have chosen to adopt. It's very similar to the one SA is trying to get away from because it's so open to abuse by dodgy operators. The ability to resell a tag means it can generate profit from more than one hunt.

The answer to that is to only book with reputable operators and not by price alone.... but that's good advice anywhere and anytime in Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like they got it about 2/3 right. I am concerned about the reselling issue. In my mind the client should recoup some of that if the tag is able to be resold.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The answer is not to allow it to be resold at all. If it can be, it's in the interests of some for the hunt to fail. The cost of the tag is nothing compared to the cost of the hunt.

Better to return it to the game dept for re-issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Looks to me like they got it about 2/3 right. I am concerned about the reselling issue. In my mind the client should recoup some of that if the tag is able to be resold.

But since the client has to sign the initial permit,along with the PH;

He knows in fact there is a cat on quota.Otherwise the hunters permit would not be granted in the first place.

What says an operator anywhere else doesn't oversell a cat?

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks as if the use of dogs is out

That sucks!!! I have been trying to get one of these planeed for a while. My family are old school houndsmen. A leopard behind hounds would be the ultimate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how many leopard permits there will be made available per year in Namibia?
How does this compare to some of its neighbouring countries like Zim,Bots,SA or Zambia?

Posts: 27 | Location: africa | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not heard from my guys in Namibia concerning what they plan on offering since the official word on leopard has come out but I don't think the price can skyrocket. It will still be very difficult to get a leopard on bait there. Low success can't equal high prices in my mind. Therefore a guy willing to risk booking a safari with a 50% chance of success might still find an inexpensive leopard hunt in Namibia.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Question for more of you guys in the know...

One can hunt a leopard with hounds or baited and shot at night in Namibia if said leopard has been declared a "problem" animal, is that correct? Then with proper paperwork, it can be exported, right?

This is the same system by which pretty much all lions are shot in Namibia isn't it? They declare lions a problem if they leave a park and eat livestock or too much game, and then they are legal to kill and transport out, right?

I am asking here - not making statements...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of charlieT
posted Hide Post
Im sure namibia's policy would be similar some of the other countries where you would not use artificial lights in GMAs or government concessions, where this could take place on private or ranching areas.
Problem animal permits would mainly be granted to the private ranches where damage is being caused, like cattle being taken.
As to the use of hounds, the NAPHA announcement is pretty strongly worded, so I dont think you would be allowed to hunt problem predators with hounds either. Many of the hounds and handlers used for leopards are base in the Eastern Cape, in south africa or zim, so there may not be hounds available nearby, if a problem animal 'appears' during your safari.

Posts: 27 | Location: africa | Registered: 24 February 2010Reply With Quote