THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What the best solid bullet for Elephant...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the best solid bullet for Elephant...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted
What the best solid bullet for elephant and where can I get them? Thanks.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what caliber are you shooting is it a bolt or a double.

you cant go wrong with bridger solids.....woodleigh....barns......

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightning,

You will get a great deal of variation in responses to your question but for the 2 elephants I shot the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer worked very well for a heart /lung shot on one and a brain shot on the other. I personally believe that any modern solid will work quite well. I think you only need to worry about which one shoots well in your rifle.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13012 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
what caliber are you shooting is it a bolt or a double.

you cant go wrong with bridger solids.....woodleigh....barns......

Right now I am shooting a .416 Remington. I am looking at a .458 Lott.

one of us
posted Hide Post
if your gonna stick with a bolt then i would definitly prefer to stay with a monolithic solid by barns or bridger.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
if your gonna stick with a bolt then i would definitly prefer to stay with a monolithic solid by barns or bridger.

Does Bridger have a website? I couldn't find it.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lightning,

I shot a 458 Lott with the Bridger solids..I fact I was the first to put an ele bull on the ground with the Bridger solids...
Contact fritz454 do a search for his name and email him and John will answer you..
Your 416 is a good gun but the Lott is a stopper...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:

Try here.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:

Try here.

Ok, I think I ordered some to try, but it got a little confusing when at the end is said Custom Brass was "not open for business and these bullets were for test purposes only."

We'll see!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you end up having questions, as retreever said fritz454 makes them and you could PM him here. I think he hangs out more on the Big Bores forum than here.

I think RNS runs the website selling the bullets, so you may be able to PM or email him as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top DG bullets are available from:

Bridger (as above)

North Fork http://www.northforkbullets.com

GS Custom http://www.gscustom.co.za

All others are by definition second rate.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Top DG bullets are available from:

Bridger (as above)

North Fork http://www.northforkbullets.com

GS Custom http://www.gscustom.co.za

All others are by definition second rate.

500grs

This is a bit off subject but...

I called Northfork and tried to order 500 CPS for my .470 NE.

Response. "I don't think I'm going to tool up the materials to make .475 bullets anymore."

WTFO!! bawling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Response. "I don't think I'm going to tool up the materials to make .475 bullets anymore."

Yup, it takes a special size of copper rod purchased in a minimum quantity that means a multi-thousand dollar expenditure for raw material that will sit on the shelf for years. Although there is a trend toward using FN driving band solids in doubles, most guys still use Woodleighs because of the old wives' tale that Woodleigh solids are not hard on barrels/ribs. So the market for 470s turns out to be quite small, unfortunately.

However, at this time Bridger and GS Custom support the 470 NE.

Here is how Briger, GS and Woodleigh bullets compare in my .500 NE (originally posted on http://www.nitroexpress.com)
quote:
Oriinally posted by 500grains:

I took my Searcy .500 NE out to try out some of the fiber optic beads available from NECG. The target below was shot at 60 yards and shows the results.

The group in the X ring was 2 shots of 570 grain Woodleigh solids, using a 6 o'clock hold. Since that was too high, I switched to the next lowest fiber optic bead.

Then I shot 2 more shots of the Woodleighs, but apparently was not concentrating well as they spread a bit. Then 2 shots of GS Custom 570 grain FN solids grouped well for a dead on hold. Finally 2 shots of Bridger 550 grain FN solids grouped well. It looks like this bead will work fine for a dead on hold.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a message to RNS who distributes for me. I'm sure he has received your inquiry and everything will be fine but I will double check.

You won't be disappointed in the FN Bridgers. A 416 will of course do the job however I prefer the .458s for ele if given the choice. You will notice a difference. If it's in the cards for you I would give it some serious thought.

Just got off the phone with Neal, your order is received and will be shipped shortly.

Thanks, John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safariman
posted Hide Post
I, and the elephant hunters I booked last year, all used Barnes monolithic solids with perfect success. The two that we recovered from my elephant could be reloaded and shot again and these were from a 416 Rigby loaded up tp near .416 Weatherby ballistics / speed. Easy to find and get, usually shoot great, often will print to same point of impasct as same size weight of 'X' bullet. Can't go wrong with this combo, IMHO. Good luck and good hunting!

When you are but fifty feet from a beast that can stomp you into a mudpuddle or shred you into fajitas, rest assured he will have your UNDIVIDED attention!! www.aahsomeafricanadventures.com safariman416@hotmail.com

Posts: 66 | Location: Walla Walla Washington | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 grs. nailed it down....
Bridger
Northfork
Gs Custom
Woodleighs

In that order btw...but all are excellent.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.500 grains: Tell me where to get the fiber optic beads for a double. I am not familar with NECG, and would like more information. Would like to look into that.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
.500 grains: Tell me where to get the fiber optic beads for a double. I am not familar with NECG, and would like more information. Would like to look into that.

NECG = New England Custom Gun Service

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Lightning

Have used TCCI solids ( Phoenix , AZ ) for more than 10 years and never had a failure . If you would like their contact details , let me know .

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All this talk of "best" is so much hot air. All of these comparisons of one modern, premium solid bullet vs. another only serve to emphasize, ad nauseam, differences without distinctions. Is only five feet sufficient? God forbid!

Enough penetration is what is needed, no more and no less, and every premium solid out there today, even round nosed solids Eeker, will give you that. Use what your rifle shoots the straightest. Then, just get close, and put your bullet where it counts.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mrlexma,
You may very well be right, but I believe the hard Bridger that has a cutting shoulder and shaves the hair for an inch around the entrance hole and cuts a clean hole in the skin that will not close up at least gives me a feeling of confidence, enough so that I won't use any thing else design wise...meaning no more RN solids nor solids without a hard sharp shoulder for me...We know it worked in pistols for years and now we know it works in rifles...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray I agree 100%. I'm biased of course but you know that's what will be in my rifle on my next trip and the one after that and the one after that.....
Actually works on deer sized animals as well. I do use fairly large bore rifles for deer and antelope but they blead out so fast they usually drop in 30 yds or so.

I've got a new soft with the same cutting shoulder comming out soon. I bet you like that one as well Ray. I'll have to get you a few to try out.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the cutting shoulder phenomena on DG animals. There is a nice cleanly cut cookie cutter style hole for entrance and exit which promotes a better blood trail. And the FN tears things up inside the animal to a greater extent than a RN. Finally, a FN penetrates deeper.

Do Woodleighs penetrate "good enough"? Sure, on optimal shots. But there are some disadvantageous shots where the extra 1-2 feet of penetration offered by a flat nosed solid means the difference between reaching the vitals or not reaching the vitals.