THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Please describe your Cape Buffalo Kills
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please describe your Cape Buffalo Kills
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
For only those that have actually killed a Cape Buffalo. Cartridge, bullet weight, bullet placement, dropped at shot, charged, ran away, ect.

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually this is a good post.
Would love to hear some real stories from "AR Forumites"!
We have all read about the exciting Vince Lupo hunts where he nails that Cape Buff with the Garrett 45-70. Bryan Pearce told his story, (45-70 rocks) as have many others.
But on AR we only seem to hear alot of people refuting these deeds.
Lets hear some personal experiences!!
I might even shut up for some of those.
C

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
not one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by Carmelo

not one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted by Carmelo

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Then delete them Carmelo...

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zimbabwe, Matetsi 6

Cartridge --------- 9.53 Lazzeroni Hellcat (375-cal)

Bullet ------------ 300gr Nosler Partition

Muzzle Velocity---- 2540 fps (ME 4300 ftlbs)

Range ------------- Approx 50 yards

Perspective ------- Frontal, quartering shot

Point of aim ------ Crease where neck joins body

Point of impact --- Crease where neck joins body

Reaction to shot -- Dropped in his tracks and never moved

http://www.hunt101.com/img/008630.jpg

Additional Info --- Recovered bullet weighed just over 200gr or about 67% weight retention. This is typical of my experience with Nosler Partitions----nose blows off and remainder of bullet continues. I should also add that when we walked up the PH suggested I give him another (insurance) so I shot him again with a Hornady solid which we found on the ground on the other side when we rolled him over.....engraved with the rifling but other than that it looked like you could shoot it again.

The shot is on video and you can clearly see the point of impact (dust flys) and the bulls head going up and the back-end dropping. Hit the ground so hard there was a small puff of dust where he fell. All of this happened before the rifle came down from recoil. As I was looking to see what happened to the buff I heard the "death bellow" as it's called.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zimbabwe, chewore

Cartridge --------- 585 nyati

Bullet ------------ 750 grain TCCI solid

Muzzle Velocity---- 2250 fps

Range ------------- Approx 20 yards

Perspective ------- broadside, quartering very slightly away

Point of aim ------ 1/3 up the chest

Condition---------- already spooked; the bull saw us at 10 or so yards, ran off a bit and turned to look back; we had followed a group of 3 dagga boys 6 or 7 miles to get a look

Point of impact --- same; broke lower shoulder bone, passed through high heart/low lungs

Reaction to shot -- ran 25 yards, dropped over and did his death bellow

Extras ----- found fully expanded .375 bullet in his stomach lining. He had completely recovered from the wound. There had been no lost buffalo in that camp that year, so either the buffalo was wounded in a neighboring area earlier that year, or it was wounded in a previous year. In any event, it got better.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe: Matetsi, shot him behind the left shoulder taking both lungs with a 375 H&H using Barnes x 300 gr. Buff dropped at the shot and got right back up and started our way. 2nd shot was in the chest as he was starting a charge. 300 gr Barnes solid. Buff dropped again and got back up. Gun malfunctioned, Sako TRG with a dropp mag that tipped down at the rear of the mag and I missed picking up a round with the bolt. Ph shot 416 rem mag with 400 gr solid knocking the bull down again. I got my gun working and shot him as he was getting up again. I put the 5th shot into the heart as it was on the ground. Next time I'm taking a 416 Rigby!

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Now these are the kind of stories that give useful information on bullets and stopping power. Of course, I realize that probably every buffalo is a law onto himself when it come to dying.

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% we can talk vel. & Ft. # of energy al day but these actual eye wittness accounts besides telling a good story helps prepare the first time buff hunter plus men & ladies who may be thinking about changing style bullet or caliber, keep it coming boys......Bob

Posts: 94 | Location: S.E Pa | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zimbabwe, Matetsi
Cartridge --------- .375 H&H Mag
Bullet ------------ 300 grain Woodleigh RNSP and FMJ
Muzzle Velocity---- 2450 fps
Range ------------- Approx 80-100 yards
Perspective ------- broadside
Point of aim ------ 1/3 up the chest, first shot behind the shoulders. 2nd shot through both shoulders.
Condition---------- calm and unaware

Point of impact --- same as aim, first bullet did not exit; 2nd bullet (FMJ) straight through both shoulders, exited.

Reaction to shot -- first shot ran 50 yards across our front, stopped and walked a bit, but mostly stood still, unhealthy but not enough. PH advised us to wait for a while. After a while advised to shoot again. I had slipped in a FMJ into the chamber and shot it through both shoulders. The bull showed the effect of the shot and ran at a 45 degree angle across our front to the right towards our right where the rest of the herd had run and was watching about 150 yards away. He ran maybe a 100 yards and stopped again. Shivered, spun around a bit and his rear end collapsed. Lay there struggling for a while and afer a few minutes we approached him and he was dead. No bellow.

Extras ----- Main reason for the second shot was the light was starting to fade. 11 to 13 year old boy. Good bosses but smallish horn length.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Location......... Tanzania, Selous 2002

Cartridge........ 416 Remington Mag

Bullet........... 400 Grain Swift Aframe Soft #1 shot

Bullet........... 400 Grain Barnes Solid #2, #3, #4, #5

Muzzle Velocity.. 2500 FPS

Range............ First Shot 120 yards

Perpestive....... Broadside

Point of Aim..... Top of the front leg bone

Condition........ Calm unaware, moving to the right quickly

Point of Impact.. Behind right shoulder.

Was following herd of Buff for about 3 hours. On the sticks three different times. When I took this shot the Buff was moving left to right. After the first shot the Buff stumbled and all hell broke loose in the heard and they stampeded. When the dust cleared, two Buff stood looking at us, One with his head held low, and his buddy behind him just looking at us from about 75 yards. We couldn't tell wich one was the wounded one. Waited 10 minutes with them both looking at us. Took my scope off the rifle, and side by side we closed on the Buff. Thank God they ran away in the long grass to my left.

Tracked them about 25 yards in the long grass, all of a sudden directly my right my Buff lets out a loud bellow, he was laying down just getting to his feet. My PH was directly to my left and couldn't shoot if he wanted to because I was in the line of fire. He was yelling shoot, shoot, shoot NOW!!! My second shot I hit him in the ass missing the spine, but he went down again. this was from 15 yards. Now I am using Barnes Solids 400 Grain Bullets. He is struggleing to get up, he gets his two front legs up off the ground and I hit him with #3 through the shoulders, only a little to far back. And I quickly put the 4th shot right after the 3rd. I figured he is down for the count. I am empty... my PH yells reload now... I am trembling all over, as we walk up to the Buff, I am still not aware that he is over 46 inches wide, he trys to get to his feet yet again, I ran around to the front of him and shot him square in the chest. I still have the skid marks on my shorts.

Hell that's why I now shoot a 458 Lott... My first shot hit him right behind the shoulder, took out the top of the heart and pieces of both lungs, and he was still going.

They are one tough SOB and I am a firm beliver that a bigger gun and caliber is better... no 45-70 for this boy... LOL

Regards... Jim P.

PS Didn't know if I still had this pic saves.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zimbabwe, Chewore North (Big 5 Safaris)
Cartridge --------- 375 H&H (375-cal)
Rifle ------------ Sako M75 topped with Leupold 2.5-8x
Bullet ------------ 300gr Swift A-Frame & 300gr Barnes solid
Muzzle Velocity---- 2525 fps (chronographed)
Range ------------- Approx 40 yards
Perspective ------- Broadside in relatively thick brush
Point of aim ------ Lungs, behind shoulder
Point of impact --- Lungs, behind shoulder (at point of aim)
Reaction to shot -- Bull ran, herd stampeded from right to left

Additional Info --- At the shot the herd took off as did my bull. The bull quickly fell behind the herd and as soon as it was clear I place a 2nd shot (Barnes solid) through the lungs and within an inch of the 1st shot. Bull stopped running at the 2nd shot and began to walk SLOWLY. Placed a third shot (solid) through both shoulders, bull stopped in his tracks and just stood on all fours but would not move. Placed a 4th shot (solid) through both shoulders, just an inch away from the previous (3rd) shot. Bull dropped straight down to the ground at the 4th shot and let out the death bellow a minute later. All three solid bullets penetrated completely. The Swift A Frame (1st shot) did not exit but made the buff very sick which was very obvious. PH said if I had just waited the bull would have died pretty shortly as a result of the 1st shot. He was a bit unhappy with me for running after the bull (I actually ran parallel) immediately following the 1st shot. He was apparently telling me to stop, but this was my 1st buff and I was excited.

Going back to the same area this August 2004 for another buff/plainsgame hunt. This time I will be using a 416 Rigby on the buff.

Here is a picture just after the dust settled

Here I am later that evening

By the way, the buff measured 41" and was approximately 8 years old.

Hope to get a bigger and older one in August!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo #1
Mozambique- mouth of Zambezi. Outfitter Saaiman Safaris
Model 70 push feed .375 H&H
300 grain Swift Aframe 2550 fps
100yd in open swamp
Facing direct
First shot from sticks in heart
second shot running-just behind lungs
Third shot running through shoulder and lungs -Buffalo down
Total time of shooting about 10-15 seconds
Distance buffalo travelled-30 yds
Time to die-3 minutes
Mature old bull 36"

Buffalo #2
Mozambique-mouth of Zambezi. Outfitter Bahati Adventures
Merkel .470
500 grain trophy bonded soft-2150fps
25 yds thick forrest
broad side
First barrel-heart
Second barrel running at 40 yds neck at body-instantly down and still, no bellow
Total time of shooting 7 seconds
Distance buffalo ran-20 yds
Time to die-1 min
Mature old bull 38"

Comments: up close and personal with open sights was a far more exciting and rewarding experience.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
500 grs,

Are the ranges usually so close in chewore, Zim???

20 yds.

thats close.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

We were hunting in Matetsi in Zimbabwe. About mid-morning, we were driving in long grass in one of the valleys, when all the boys on the back of the truck knocked on t roof for us to stop.

A few quick words in some funny language, and my PH and friend, Roy Vincent, said "buffalo!"

Apparently they saw a bull lying in the grass in some wet muddy area a few yards away. As we got out of the truck, he took off, with two more following him. They got over the hill before we could manage to get a shot ant any of them.

Roy said he knows these bulls, as they seem to like this valley, but he has not managed to get anyone to shoot them.

We decided to follow them. We got onto their tracks, and about a half hour later, we saw them at a distance. We stalked them, but they must have senses us and took off unseen. This cat and mouse continues.

At one stage we saw them lying down in the shade of some trees. We got to about 70 yards from them, and although we could see their dark shapes, there is no way one can take a shot.

They sensed us and took off again.

We followed them. About 2 hours later, we lost thier tracks. So we sat down for a breather, before we headed back to our truck.

Just as we started walking back, one of our trackers saw them lying down. Apparently we lost thier tracks, and passed about 200 yards from them. But, because of the bush, we could not see them, and they could not see us.

We decided to shoot all of them if we got the chance.

When we got to about 100 yards from them, one was standing broadside, so I shot him just behind the shoulder. They all took off, and us in close pursuit.

The one I shot stopped after about 80 yards. He was about to drop. The othet two stood looking at him.

I spined one of them, and he dropped. The third just whirld around and stood looking at his friends. I spined him too.

All three were killed within about 15 yards of each other.

Rifle was a custom wildcat built on the Dakota 76 action. Caliber was 375/404. Bullets were Barnes X 300 grain.

The can be seen on this video clip

3 buffalo

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, we were tracking them in the trees. It was mid November, there was rain and the leaves were coming out. Inadvertently we once got within 15 feet of a cow, and within less than 10 yards of a shootable bull.

We never got within 75 yards of a buffalo herd, but then again we did not try. We just glassed the herds and kept looking. Tracking dagga boys was much more fun than looking at herds.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo 1:

Location ---------- Kilombero, Tanzania
Cartridge --------- .416 Rigby
Bullet ------------ 400gr Trophy Bonded Solids
Muzzle Velocity---- ~2400 fps (?)
Range ------------- Approx 70m
Perspective ------- Frontal, quartering shot
Point of aim ------ Crease where neck joins body
Point of impact --- Crease where neck joins body
Reaction to 1. shot -- Down, coming up again
Reaction to 2. shot (on the hip) -- Down, coming up again
Reaction to 3. shot -- Down (Spine Hit)

Buffalo 2:

Location ---------- Kilombero, Tanzania
Cartridge --------- .416 Rigby
Bullet ------------ 400gr Trophy Bonded
Muzzle Velocity---- ~2400 fps (?)
Range ------------- Approx 60m
Perspective ------- Broadside shot
Point of aim ------ Top of heart (Bottom of deadly triangle)
Point of impact --- Top of heart (Bottom of deadly triangle)
Reaction to 1. shot -- Jumping upwards, running away 30m
2. Shot just for insurance

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zambia
Cartridge --------- 416 Rem
Bullet ------------ 350gr Barnes X
Muzzle Velocity---- 2450 fps
Range ------------- 1st about 40 yards, second about 50 yds.
Perspective ------- 1st Frontal spine, 2nd quartering away shot
Point of aim ------ 1st-Spine, 2nd Opposite shoulder
Point of impact --- Spine, Behind last rib
Reaction to shot -- 1st-Dropped in his tracks and never moved, 2nd ran about 40 yds. and gave a death bellow

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It was May of 1991, the Chewore North concession of Zim. We were in the area not too far from the hot springs walking up a dry creek bed, a rather steep spot with tall walls. There above us was a lone bull standing broadside at about 50 yards. He had nowhere to go... neither did we! I hit him on the shoulder with a Swift A-frame 300 grain from my Sako safari .375 H&H. His "reaction" was to pick up his head and turn and look at us. I hit him again about four inches away from the first round's entry and down he went... (relief) Upon appraoching the down bull I gave him another finishing shot to the heart. He was deep and old with 38 plus inch spread. Later in the hunt we encountered a really fine bull at a water hole which we crawled to within 25 yards of him, until an oxpecker warned him of our approach. He spun around an looked at us (pissing our starched draws)and AJ Van Heerden suggested politely that I may want to stand up and shoot said bull. I did and placing the wires upon his nose touched off a round of 300 grain Trophy bonded with the aforementioned .375. He apparently had decided to whirl around and head for places distant at the same moment in time which I ent the command to fire to my trigger finger. The now errant round sliced the side of his face and lodged in his shoulder. As he cleared the pan now about 45 yards out I swung on him like a quail and tried to get some additional lead into him. The 300 grain Swift which was round #2 caught him in the Axis joint. The result was a spectacular stop and truly was one of the luckiest shots I have ever made. I was oly trying to land one somewhere on him... Yes, Buff's are the best. He went 43 inches and Thanks for the opportunity to retell this tale.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Location -------Okavango Delta, Botswana
Caliber---------375 H&H
Bullet ---------300 gr Federal TBBC - Factory round
rifle ---------- pre 64 Model 70
range ---------- 80 yds
perspective ---- broadside
point of aim --- 1/3 up, just behind the leg
point of impact-- 1/2 up just behind the leg
result -- Upon impact the buffalo spun 90 degrees facing away from me. I put two shots into his hind end after which he spun another 90 degrees and stumbled forward. I reloaded and put two more into his shoulder putting him down. My first shot took out the lungs. One of my shots from the rear broke the pelvis and the last two broke him down.
notable: This was the first aminal that I killed that didn't have feathers on it.
This is a great thread!

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- Zimbawe
Cartridge --------- 458 win mag
Bullet ------------ 450grain xbullet and 450grain super solids Barnes
Muzzle Velocity---- 2150+fps
Range ------------- 1st shot 15 to 20 yards 2nd and 3rd about 70yrds
1st shot just to the right and a bit below the pooper.
2nd shot right above the front leg(right where the red dot is in perfect shot)
3rd shot a bit high and back breaking the spine
Reaction to 1. shot -- stumbled turned and ran down hill abot 80 yrds
Reaction to 2. blood exploded out his nose started down nill again.
Reaction to 3. shot -- hit him running, Down (broke Spine)
first shot traveled up past liver(xbullet) 2nd and 3rd shots passed threw (super solids).
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
My son killed his Cape buffalo in the Gwayi Conservancy in Zimbabwe, August 2002.

Rifle: Steyr Model "S" in 458 Winchester Magnum, with Leupold Var-X III 1.5-5 heavy duplex.

Bullet/Load: 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcore propelled by 62.3 grains of H4198 Extreme. POI was heart/lung area. Dropped to the shot. Finishing/insurance rounds: 2 Wooldleigh solids, one up the rear and one in the spine. Not really needed but directed by PH. Same load as softs.

Distance: Dropping shot, about 30 yards.

The Weldcore retained 421 grains; the solids 499 grains each.

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PH told him to send one up the rear ? Were you hunting with Muzza

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add an IMPORTANT detail.

After my buff was down and dead, I had one of the trackers shoot it in the hope that I could recover a bullet to double check bullet performance. I instructed the tracker to stand behind the buffalo and shoot lengthwise up the body. The tracker positioned himself and aimed at a spot a couple of inches below the rear exit port, with the tail to the side and out of the way. I watched the buffalo, and at the shot heard uproarious laughter from the black staff. I looked at the tracker who had shot, and he had buffalo poop all over him! It seems that the hydrostatic shock of that final shot caused the exit port of the buffalo to return fire on the tracker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO I guess he got the straight poop

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Location ---------- South Africa, Timbivati Game Preserve, adjacent to Kruger Natinal Park
Cartridge --------- 375 H&H
Rifle ------------ Winchester M70 topped with Leupold 1.75-6x (custom Echols Legend)
Bullet ------------ 300gr Swift A-Frame
Muzzle Velocity---- 2464 fps (chronographed)
Range ------------- Approx 70 yards
Perspective ------- Facing, quartering very slightly on edge of brush
Point of aim ------ front chest, just inside near shoulder
Point of impact --- front chest, just inside near shoulder (at point of aim)
Reaction to shot -- Bull ran approx 40 yards and dropped

We had looked this herd of maybe 120 buffalo over for 45 minutes, and identified a bull I wanted. The herd was in between me and the unfenced border with the Kruger, which was a couple hundred yards away, so my PH wanted the warden from Timbavati Game Preserve to be present in case we had to chase after a wounded buff into the park. So we got into position, and stewed for 45 minutes while the warden drove to our position. By the time the warden found us, the herd had begun arousing from its mid-day siesta, and were milling around and aware of our presence. My bull had separated somewhat from the herd and was staring straight on at me. All I could hear was my PH saying over and over "keep it low ...keep it low". As I steadied on the sticks, the bull turned slightly to my right, and I re-established my aiming point. At my shot, the herd took off, and I was unable to see my bull as it ran behind an anthill. I chambered a solid, and started walking forward, only to be grabbed by my PH. He had seen the buffalo go down, and told me so, just as we heard the death bellow. Only at that point did the adrenaline flood my veins and my cheekbones almost cracked from my ear-to-ear grin. We had a smoke and eased forward. The bull had run about 40 yards before piling up. We could tell it was dead, but it was being guarded by a scarred friend. After a tense standoff for about 3 minutes, the buddy eased off, and we claimed my trophy. I can't wait for number 2, and 3 and...

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread.

People actually detailing the first hand personal experience, and whether it is one buffalo for a person (like me) or a hundred for someone like Saeed, a great resource on what actually happened and the reaction to the shots from the various calibres.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambezi Valley 2002
80 yds average size dagga boy, .375 H&H GS custom flatnose 270gr, slightly quartering away, slightly far back, liver and probably edge of lung, ran 40 yds downhill and stopped, stood stationary till finishing stops delivered and it collapsed. Flat nose bullet performance outstanding. Follow up shots with Woodleigh 300gr, one recovered after penetrating and skipping across rocks - virtually unmarked.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
PH: Brad Rolston
Cartridge: 416 Remington Magnum
Bullet: Safari Ammo custom load Barnes XLC & Barnes Solids
Muzzle Velocity: 2400FPS
Range: 30 yards
Perspective: Frontal quartering, left
Point of Aim: between the shoulder and dewlap
Point of Impact: same
Reaction: Crowhopped about 5 yards, turned broadside, shot him throught the right shoulder with a Barnes Solid, he starts to run away and I hit him again behind the last rib on the right side and angle a solid into his lungs. 20 yards and he hits the ground and we hear his death bellow. Congrats all the way around.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
2nd Buff
PH: Cash Taylor
Cartridge: 375 H&H Magnum
Bullet: 300 grain Barnes Solid
Muzzle Velocity: 2450FPS
Range: 25 yards
Perspective: Slightly quartering away
Point of Aim: Point of shoulder
Point of Impact: Where the shoulder and neck join
Reaction: Grunt and stumble, comes back up and I shoot him again in the neck. After a long 10 minutes we catch up to him standing head down in a karongo. I shoot him in the shoulder, Cash shoots him up the bum with his 470NE as the bull begins to run. I hit him once more in the shoulder as he turns broadside and he rears up like a damn horse and falls over. Pretty spectacular but a bit nervewracking too.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "lobo" bull looks hugh...how big was he?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. He is honestly a couple of eighths shy of 40". But the drop in his horns and a very wide heavy boss made him a keeper in my book.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Here he is before we set him up for the "glamour" shots.

He was an old warrior and an exciting hunt. I'm proud to have taken him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I have none as of now,but this is a great thread it tells alot about how tough buff are. I see that most shots were put in the right spot with big rounds and the buff keeps going. This should tell people, like myself and others who have not been there just what is needed to really put one down. The great thing is these are real stories from people who have been there and done it,it looks like one could never have to much gun for these buff. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAC:

For someone who used to manage to bring up his Cape buffalo hunt during a discussion of the weather I am happy to accept your invitation!

Zimbabwe,Chirisa safari District,1993. We were working our way down a slope towards a small herd that was at a waterhole.(This was in early May, right after the end of the rainy season so that everything was lush and green - and more important the buffalo could not be ambushed at a waterhole because the water was everywheres that early in the season) We had already had a heart stopping moment when a kudu jumped up almost alongside us and gave its alarm bark.In an odd way, I was comforted that,while I jumped, that the PH did too. (The trackers had completely missed him) We assumed that the herd would move off and so we came down to level ground and, sure enough, the herd had moved off. The two trackers, the PH and I were standing on the edge of mopane scrub. The PH was about 50 feet to my left. Suddenly, a cow walked out of the brush across the small clearing between 30-35 yards away. She fixed on me and stomped her hoofs several times. The PH used a hand signal that he would tend to her. Some few seconds later a bull came out and trotted a few yards, stopped and started to turn towards me. The PH said out loud: Take him! I fired a 375 H&H, using a 300 grain solid and hit him on the point of the shoulder. He staggered,swung back a little and even sank to his haunches. I made the novice's mistake of admiring my shot rather than a quick follow up. He regained his feet and staggered down a slight slope towards the waterhole. Brush blocked me from making a second shot from where I stood. The PH ran over and told me to run down to the waterhole through the mopane scrub. We saw the buff starting to wade through the water hole. The PH told me not to shoot. (He explained later that it was a bitch of a job to get a big buff out of a water hole) The buff collapsed on the other side of the hole (about 40 yards from where I first shot him)I stood about 30 feet away and fired an "insurance" shot (using a soft point that the PH told me to use.(We had something of a comedy of errors as I had already jacked a solid in and had to extricate it and stick a soft point on the top of the mag) The SP hit him squarely in the heart as we found after he was butchered. Handshakes all around (trackers beaming because they didn't have to track a wounded buff through vlei, the very heavy undergrowth in low areas after the rainy season)The PH and I skirted the waterhole with rifles at high port - and to my astonishment, the buff started to rise up and I clearly saw day light between his belly and the ground.I fired a solid into the base of his neck and he dropped and the festivities were over.

For what it's worth to you. The walking is as easy as you will ever find. (For god's sake, don't buy heavy boots. You need a crepe rubber kind of light boot or even shoe. {My PH wore tennis shoes! Practice up on off hand shooting. (I shot over 1500 rounds from two different barrels before I ever saw Africa) Forget aiming sticks. That may be OK for plains game but, believe me, unarmed trackers are not going to stand around and hold aiming sticks for somebody they know nothing about. Someone posted excellent advice about starting offhand shooting close in (25 yards or so) You don't have to be drilling the balls off a mosquito at 100 yards. You should be able to hit an 8" bull (paper target)at 50 yards. You may find it easier if you turn down the scope power (so it won't panic you so much when the target seems to be all over the lot! Remember you're not trying to punch holes in the 10 ring (or even the 9 ring) It's that area of black of the paper target (BTW, I used pistol targets).

My credentials as a buff hunter? Just one trip. I am listed with my buff in SCI record book (9th Edition, Volume 1, Africa, Page 89, Gerald P McMorrow) Ray Atkinson says no one but the particular individual listed ever reads the entries in the SCI record book. I want you to prove him wrong!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Selous, Tanz.
.470 Capstick / 500gr Woodleigh
1st shot on the shoulder, second center of chest.

We came up behind a small batchelor herd we had been after for a bit. My client took a nice bull, but a second stayed nearby. The first was a single shot from a 577 NE that dropped where it was shot, the other bull decided to do laps around us for a bit. I took him as he passed us with the other bull between us and him. The first shot spun him pretty good and would probably have done him, but I believe in giving lead!

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500gr,

Hilarious story about the buffalo returning fire on the tracker, hehe...

What did that bullet end up doing penetration-wise after the laughter?

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458 ruger,

We found a bullet in the meat of the front of the chest which is not bad for round nose. If it had been a flat nosed bullet, I suspect the bullet would have gone the whole length and out the other end.