Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling to RSA with a Minor
 Login/Join

posted
Apparently in an effort to curtail child trafficking, RSA will be implementing new requirements on the 1st of June this year. It gets slightly complicated if your the sole parent with the child, as will be the case for me. A signed affidavit and notarized, giving mom's permission is essentially what is needed.

These new req'ts were written a couple years ago however. So I was wondering if anyone has run into this or heard of others who have?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I was in the Customs office in Birmingham AL to get a Form 4457 last week. There was a stack of traveler's guides there so I took one.

It says clearly that to travel outside the USA with children under 16 you need a notarized letter from both parents (or the parent not travelling) that authorizes the travel.

Of course, both parents must go to the Post Office when getting the passports for the child (or have a notarized letter).

My understanding is RSA requires an official copy of the child's birth certificate as well.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Good to know.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Notarized letter will be ready to go and I have my son's original birth cert. Also his passport of course.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
7 sounds like you got it covered. Have a great hunt.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Returned from RSA yesterday. On entry to the country, no questions asked. When we left, I was asked at Tambo by the passport control officer if I was aware of the new regulations. Before I could answer she asked when we arrived.

I believe that since we arrived prior to the start of the enforcement of the new regs that she would have let us go. I told her when we arrived but she asked again if I knew about the new regs. I answered yes and provided her the notarized copy of my wife giving permission, an original BC for my son as well as copies of my wife's passport and driver's license. The latter to match the signature on the permission affidavit.

Basically I overwhelmed the lady a bit with documentation. She just gave it a cursory glance, smiled and stamped our passports.

Bottom line though is this is indeed being enforced. I even heard about it on the news while over there. So if you're traveling with your kids, make sure you've got your paperwork in order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traveling to Joberg today with my fifteen year old son. The new regulation went into effect on June 1st. Have all the docs required including the original birth certificate. There is a suggested form on South African customs website that you can fill in with all the details and signature blocks for traveling with a minor. Will try and post a link to it later.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote