THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Planning a Leopard hunt? - Buy a Surefire Kroma

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planning a Leopard hunt? - Buy a Surefire Kroma
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I Don't know if any of you guys out there have used the blue light function on these torches, but it's claimed they make it much easier to follow a blood spoor at night...... to be honest, I was a bit sceptical about how well this would work. - I had reason to try it tonight and I've gotta tell you it works like an absolute dream.

If anyone out there is planning a Leopard hunt, I'd say you won't make a better investment than one of these torches. - I'd also highly recommend them to any PH. - Sure they're expensive, but they're save you a whole lotta grey hairs!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I'd also highly recommend them to any PH. - Sure they're expensive, but they're save you a whole lotta grey hairs!

...............or let you get old enough to get grey hair!
jumping jumping thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THIS is a reason I'm so happy I found this board! This guy came out of the bush to give his field report on products lol

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Also remember to buy spare batteries as they go dead at the very worst times with no warning.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, and make sure that you take plenty of them with you to Africa(batteries that is).

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use only the blue light for tracking blood, the life of a battery is 80 hours.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you know it, just when I thought I had the best Shurefire, A2 Aviator, they come up with the Kroma you are talking about. I will be hunting Leopard in about 4 months so this might be just the "excuse" to spring for this new one? Thanks for the first hand report on the blue light effect, was also a little skeptical myself. Glad to see it has some merit.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I Don't know if any of you guys out there have used the blue light function on these torches, but it's claimed they make it much easier to follow a blood spoor at night...... to be honest, I was a bit sceptical about how well this would work. - I had reason to try it tonight and I've gotta tell you it works like an absolute dream.

If anyone out there is planning a Leopard hunt, I'd say you won't make a better investment than one of these torches. - I'd also highly recommend them to any PH. - Sure they're expensive, but they're save you a whole lotta grey hairs!

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Is there a red light funtion aswell LOL

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Damn thing is like a mobile disco...... it has 2 blue settings, 2 red settings and 2 white ones!

Apparently, they also do a fitting to mount the torches on a rifle barrel with a remote finger switch, but I don't know if it's available in SA. - Sounds like a bloody good idea though.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Steve try this guys they are heavy into that sort of thing.
Willem Immelman
E-mail Address(es):
stellenbosch@diw.co.za

i have seen guys that does a lot of bushpig hunting use it there is a scope mount where the torch fitts in on top of the scope. some oks somer use ducktape and tape it to the side of the stock easy to take off again

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've taped my ordinary surefire to the barrel before but I like the idea of using a better switch mechanism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One better suggestion is to practice your shot placement - no tracking is best,eh. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you already have a Surefire light they used to offer a cover to fit on most ligts that had a blue or red lens. I have a blue lens for my G2.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the covers (blue and red) for my C2 Centurion and the E2E Executive. However, I don't believe that they make a cover for the A2 Aviator, which is my favorite flashlight to use in Africa. Anyone know if I'm wrong on that? If so, let me know.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've got the covers (blue and red) for my C2 Centurion and the E2E Executive. However, I don't believe that they make a cover for the A2 Aviator, which is my favorite flashlight to use in Africa. Anyone know if I'm wrong on that? If so, let me know.

Last time I checked, they did not make the colored filters for the Aviator A2, so as far as I know you are correct. I have not checked in a few months.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. If they did make them, I'd definitely have them, but unfortunately I believe that you have to buy that particular SureFire in the color that you want.