New
Find
Notify
Tools

The devils in the details
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any one seen the latest issue of Sports Afield African issue?
Excellent article by Doctari on why buffalo shouldn't be wounded. Has a nice pic of a good bull with Doctari's 505 draped across the horns. The devil in the details is that the scope appears top be MOUNTED BACKWARDS.Anybody else notice this anomaly?

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
That was done expressly so as to allow Kevin to get as close as possible before he can see enough of the animal. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't believe it so went & dug out my copy & durned if you aren't correct.
Wonder what the story behind that is.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
You mean this picture?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/...020_1683573678_n.jpg

It looks like an AimPoint Hunter scope, which is supposed to go on the rifle that way!

http://www.aimpoint.com/products/all-products/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw right.
I think I have the answer.
QD rings, shot the buff with scope on, followed up with scope off, then put scope back on for photo shots. Simply did not pay attention to what he was doing on the remount or else someone else remounted it for him.
Actually my wife who has never shot anything bigger than a 22lr & that was 35 yrs. ago came up with the part about the QD rings & mounting it backwards.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
yuck

Definitely AimPoint Hunter! Another view:

http://combatopticsreviews.com...Hunter-H30L-sako.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well I can forgive the OP on this as he is, like me, from Canada.......... and so probably has limited experience (if any) with Aimpoint. But what gives with you boys from south of the 49th??

Check out page 5 of that same issue. It is a full page add by Aimpoint with a couple of pictures of more scopes "mounted backwards".

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Thought bwana cecil's bibi had it until PD999 chimed in. Something new every day -- a trip to Hastings, 8 bucks plus magnifying glass later, that is, to confirm. (Nice edition!)

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Well I can forgive the OP on this as he is, like me, from Canada.......... and so probably has limited experience (if any) with Aimpoint. But what gives with you boys from south of the 49th??

Check out page 5 of that same issue. It is a full page add by AIMPOINT with a couple of pictures of more scopes "mounted backwards".

Skyline, I was thinking the same thing!
................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Good catch PD999! And from a Londoner yet!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I had a low power scope that was bigger in the front. On a turkey gun if I recall correctly.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Skylineone of us posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Sat, 20 Apr 2013 07:57:05 GMT-0700', '20 April 2013 19:57')+'</nobr>');20 April 2013 19:5720 April 2013 19:57Hide PostWell I can forgive the OP on this as he is, like me, from Canada.......... and so probably has limited experience (if any) with Aimpoint. But what gives with you boys from south of the 49th??Check out page 5 of that same issue. It is a full page add by Aimpoint with a couple of pictures of more scopes "mounted backwards".

In keeping with true AR tradition, proving me wrong will not change my mind!

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
In keeping with true AR tradition, proving me wrong will not change my mind!

Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:

Good catch PD999! And from a Londoner yet!

Hi Mike! Yep, we Brits do have some uses Cool

I needed to get a scope for my 505 Gibbs (eyes getting on a bit LOL), and tried these Aimpoints. Quite nice red-dot type scope. However, if the battery dies, there is no aiming point; not good for a DGR!

So I now have a Swaro 1-6x24 EE non-illuminated scope on quick-detach Recknagel swing-off mounts (actually two identical scopes with the same set-up, both zeroed at 100yds; one acting as a back-up).

Never had scope-bite in 3ys and over 1000 full-power rounds, and these non-illuminated scopes (though expensive) are tough as old boots!

Also they look more 'normal' than these 'back-to-front' scopes cuckoo Big Grin

Peter