Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 16-day license in Tanzania?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Wasn't there an eighteen day license at one time that would allow you to take one cat? If you wanted two, you had to book a 21 day trip. I understand from talking this over with my PH in Masailand last year that this was done away with. He said the Government did it to bring in more $$$$. However, could be an outfitter's rule. Maybe Bwanamich has the answer.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Allen,

The brochures for the folks that I book for in Tanzania (JML) show 7, 14, 16 and 21 days. The 14 and 16 day hunts get a second buff and some smaller animals.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AD,

Yes, there is a 16-day license in Tanzania. You can get croc, waterbuck, topi, hyena, grysbok, dik-dik, suni and some other "odds & ends". A few of the regular fees almost double when you go from a 10-day to a 16-day safari, i.e., the documentation/processing fees go from 1,000 to 2,100.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seemed to me that the difference in overall cost and additional animals on license, between a 16 day and a 21 day made it a no brainer to go with a 21 day if you are in the market for that level of hunt. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AD,
Yes there is a 16 day license.
It allows a total of 31 species instead of 9 to be hunted if you count some pecies such as zorilla, monkeys and other smaller less popular animals!

The basic difference between this and a 10 day is that you are allowed 3rd buffalo, bushbuck, crocodile, dikdik, 2nd impala, 2nd warthog, hyena (1 striped and 1 spotted), Reedbuck (1 each Bohor, Chanler's and common) and waterbuck.

Bull1: the Official Gov fees ofr a 10 and 16 day are:
Hunting permit 10 day - $450 16 day $600
Gov Conservation fees 10 day - $1,000 16 day $1,600
Gov trophy handling fee 10 day $200 16 day $300
Total 10 day - $1650 16 day - $2500

Bwanamrm: That is correct. Lion used to be available on 16 day license and was moved to 21 day license to increase revenue.....It is not an outfitters rule! However, an outfitter is free to offer a lion on a shorter hunt SO LONG as he pays the full 21 day Gov fees!

His risk is that by applying for a 21 day "package" the local IRS dpt will assess him for 21 day revenue Of course a couple of well placed $$$ in the right hands will resolve this and that is why one sees such packages being offerred every once in a while.

DHunter: You are correct! The basic difference between 21 and 16 day package is the cats, hippo and larger "key" antelopes such as eland, sable, roan, g. kudu and east arcian species, gerenuk, lesser kudu and oryx. For a few $$ more you get much more variety and valued species.

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote