Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your ideas
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. My husband has just informed me that we are going to South Africa on a hunting Safari. Actually I'm going to be going along as an observer. Here is the thing....I am going to get the opportunity to visit some villages and I would like to bring small things for the children...at the same time I don't want to be the "ugly american" with pretenses. Has anyone ever visited villages while on Safari and brought trinkets and such for the children? If so, what have you brought, and how well was it received. Or better yet...what would you definately recommend that I stay away from?

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Aliso Viejo | Registered: 19 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kickbuttgirlsmama:
Hi. My husband has just informed me that we are going to South Africa on a hunting Safari. Actually I'm going to be going along as an observer. Here is the thing....I am going to get the opportunity to visit some villages and I would like to bring small things for the children...at the same time I don't want to be the "ugly american" with pretenses. Has anyone ever visited villages while on Safari and brought trinkets and such for the children? If so, what have you brought, and how well was it received. Or better yet...what would you definately recommend that I stay away from?

Thanks

I have not visited a village but one gift that I took after reading about it from another poster was a couple of soccer balls. You can take a pump and a needle or two and let the air out so they don't take up much space in your cases. I got everything at Wal-Mart. I have also taken some watches that I bought on sale. Some areas get cold so gloves are nice. If you visit a village you can not take something for everyone so a soccer ball or something that everyone can enjoy would be nice. Hope this helps.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
“Mamaâ€,

It’s been my experience (at least up in Zim) that anything you bring will be both graciously and gratefully received! We’ve taken all manner of little things, but two really stick out in my memories.

On our first trip, we took along a couple of gallon zip-locks filled with cheap plastic Mardi Gras beads. Not only did the local ladies love them, male members of the camp staff took them happily to give to wives or girlfriends (or prospective wives or girlfriends!).

On a subsequent trip with our then fourteen year old daughter along, we armed her with a Polaroid camera and an armload of film. Not only was the “magic†of instant photo developing a big hit, but she was able to leave “custom made†photo gifts with the people she’d met. She’ll remember the temporary bridge she built across that cultural divide for a long time…

I couldn’t help but smile when I saw your user name, as “Mama†is what one of the trackers (after three safaris hunting with him) affectionately calls my wife!

Be prepared to have the time of your life…there’s nothing on this earth like your first safari!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there is schools in the area, paper, pencils, or pens, erasers and school supplies are a great thing.

Polaroid cameras are great. The staff normally loves there picture taken and so do the locals.

Even things in the US that you take for granted such as always having a pen and paper is not always the same in other countries.

Have a great trip.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
What a husbuand you have! I like the "...informed..." part: Not asked or discussed or anything, just "..informed.."!

I want to endorse the suggestion of taking a Polaroid and lots of film. The kids in remote villages will siply love you for leaving them with a photograph of themselves. Most rural kids do not have a photo of themselves at all.

Enjoy your stay in South Africa.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I can confirm Sierrabravo45's advice. Having supervised the construction of a couple hundred rural schools in Africa over the last thirty years, I can assure you that pencils, pencil sharpeners, small notebooks, rulers (metric),etc., will be greatly appreciated. The polaroids will also be very popular and will allow you to take some very good photographs will your regular film or digital camera as everybody will be willing to pose.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
You might also want to contact your local SCI Chapter and ask about the "Blue Bag" program. I am just starting to look into it for our next trip. Basically, it is bringing alot of over the counter type of medical supplies for delivery to the local village clinics.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we always bring a bag or 4 of hard candy. Throwing it out to the kids is as much fun as they get out of it. It's something otherwise they never get.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soccer balls, stationery (make sure its metric rulers,!), and photos are all good ideas in very rural places.
The 'rurality' and what kids have will depend on where you hunt....get in touch with your outfitter/PH and get some info from them.

Lastly, avoid candies, often kids in rural areas don't get opportunities for good oral hygene like you or I may have and while they love sweets, it can play havoc on their teeth...in effect doing them a disservice...candy is not a good idea!

I am sure if you browse the web you will find various NGO's work in the area you may be hunting and can ask them too. Just find out where you are going.

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You stated that you are going to South Africa. Keep in mind that you will not find many "Villages" full of "native" people in SA. What you will find is a lot of large towns filled with very poor people who live in primative homes. Having said that, the kids love candy and will flock to you when you give it out. If you wish to do something productive bring a bunch of Pencils and eracers for the schools.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Candy for the kids.The ladies like small mirrors.Thake clothing that you might want to leave behind. Flip flops are always a big hit...

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T-shirts have always been appreciated, especially if they have some kind of logo (can be anything, I know of two trackers in SA that where t-shirts with reindeer on them). Belive it or not but the ladies in tha staff (native ones) really appreciate the snuff I leave them -it started as a joke on my part but now they expect it when I visit.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mama,

I did not visit any villages. However the natives living and working on the land we were hunting loved getting Polaroids of themselves and almost fought over the hard candy. The clothing I took was probably the most practical and seemed appreciated but didn't get the "fun" response of the pictures and candy. I took 17 shirts and three jackets by using my food compactor/vacuum to compress the clothing and saved alot of room.

Everything is needed.

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Anytime

cheap but plenty of soccer balls

and any school supplies (pen and pencils are more convenient)

best the whole being bought in the country for 2 reasons,
first more for your money
second : no overweigh troubles with your luggages

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WOW! Thank you for ALL the wonderful ideas.

I am not a hunter... but I understand and appreciate the sport and the management of game. I have often times given my husband (steven30127) grief for spending so much time on this forum, especially when dishes need to be washed and trash needs to be taken out. My daughter's screen name is KickButtGirl and she recently posted on this forum seeking assistance with her Science project... the responses have been overwhelming! Now she has a legitamate excuse for being on the internet when she should be studying/doing homework! I am very impressed with this forum and the opportunity to "learn" what I can based on your experiences and suggestions!

Again... thank you for all the wonderful suggestions... I will certainly take it to heart!

Mama (Sandy)

Posts: 2 | Location: Aliso Viejo | Registered: 19 March 2006Reply With Quote