New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatari Times ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know when the new Hatari Times will be coming out? I think its the best no BS magazine on African Hunting. Always read it from cover to cover.

WLA

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Talk to Harold Wolf a few months ago. I don't think he is doing to well.

One of Harolds biggest problems is he relies on his advertisers providing hunts for him.

He told me he was working on a 600 Nitro double rifle and some Ross rifle type prototypes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very early issues have been very good and contained valuable information but that is long ago.

Having said that nowadays I consider it one of the biggest rib offs ever. I paid for issues well in advance and do not sincerely expect to get them at all. The last issue was ridiculous anyway and yes I also have the imporession that a copy will only finished once the editor got enough free hunts to report about.

Also remarkable is that the english edition is alwaqys first, seems the Europeans are even more patient than everbody else.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
He's a nice guy, a decent gunsmith and can write technical rifle-babble. But he writes damn near the entire magazine himself, and his magazine is based on him hunting on someone elses dollar.

The magazine was wonderful back in it's heyday. Not so sure the last issue was worth it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When was the last issue? I used to subscribe a few years back it expired and then I paid $60.00 and never received an issue.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The very early issues have been very good and contained valuable information but that is long ago.

Having said that nowadays I consider it one of the biggest rib offs ever. I paid for issues well in advance and do not sincerely expect to get them at all. The last issue was ridiculous anyway and yes I also have the imporession that a copy will only finished once the editor got enough free hunts to report about.

I agree 110%

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
The magazine was wonderful back in it's heyday. Not so sure the last issue was worth it.

I am a huge fan of Hatari Times and I like to think that I was instrumental in getting Mr. Wolfe to re-release the first 12 issues on CD(I had bugged him for years- you guys are welcome Smiler)

I would love to see HT return to its former glory, but I don't know if that's realistic....

quote:
Originally posted by D99:
He's a nice guy, a decent gunsmith and can write technical rifle-babble.

I think it is pretty fair to say that he is a bit above "decent" as far as his unbuilding skills. Not too many "decent" gunsmiths can scratch-build double rifle and magnum Mauser actions.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I'm not big on prepaying for something I very possibly won't receive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, this seems to be true. He has always been at Reno. If I see him there, I will try and be casual in asking.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harold used another author's picture in HT, and when called on it he refused to pay. I have not subscribed since. I agree, the quality was slipping.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
This was the last email that I received from Harold (prior to 2010 show season). I was expecting another email prior to this years SCI show, but perhaps Harold's back problems prevented him from hunting this past year as his website indicates were his intentions? I eagerly await a future publication, even if they are perhaps not at the very high level that they once were.
quote:
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 7:59 AM
To: [subscribers]
Subject: Hatari Times

Dear Subscribers

It is quite a long time since I published Hatari Times # 23, and many of you have been wondering what is going on.

Last year, while splitting firewood in the old fashioned way of steel wedge + sledgehammer, a steel chip large like a fingernail but thin as a razor blade, came flying with bullet velocity, went 4" deep into my upper leg muscles, missing the main artery by less than 1/2". That was my previous year's bad luck, which caused me to miss the late season in Africa.

My spine problem had built-up slowly but continuously over the last 2 years - and was always miss-diagnosed as a muscular problem. I had been in the scanner tube several times over the last 2 years, but they obviously looked for other things, which they could not find. After the long flights back from SCI-Convention in Reno my back and right leg became ever worse. I got injections into my back-strap to no avail and carried on as usual. Built a couple of guns until it became unbearable in late June. Went to see my local doctor on Wednesday, who again said that my main blackstrap muscle causes the pain. Friday morning I collapsed within 5 minutes or so, as I suddenly could not stand - and sitting down was even worse. Just made it from the garden into the house and went flat on the ground, where my wife, who was out shopping, found me a few hours later in an advanced state of shock, just trembling all over due to the horrendous pain. She called emergency ambulance, which had to carry me out through a window. Now, it’s obviously not a good idea to enter any hospital through emergency entrance on a Friday afternoon, particularly not on a very hot summer day when lots of elderly people arrive with breathing/heart problems. I don't recall what they gave me, but sure as hell, it did NOT ease the intense pain. Maybe they were not allowed to give morphine in the emergency rooms (I later got plenty of morphine!). Eventually I was taken through a scanner again, and after a few more hours, me still trembling with pain, a doctor came and told me its a ruptured fiber ring of disc L4/5 pinching the main nerve down the right leg. My wife though I had gone insane by the pain when I told her that this is really good news! Seriously, I said a spine disc problem is every day's routine. Once they manage to ease the pain they will sort out the problem shortly. By that I was only partly right, as they never managed to make me reasonably painless, and after a full week and lots of more scans, neurologist tests and spine injections, they said I had to be transferred to a special clinic in our gun making capital of Liege for specialized surgery. After 9 days of lying like paralyzed (due to really unbearable pain) my strong leg muscles had turned into soft pudding (never thought that this could happen so fast!). Surgery was positive, and a week later I went back home. It took me 6 weeks of daily training to get back on my legs. Now, I am doing a daily walk of 4 miles through the forest in 45 minutes, which is a fairly brisk walk. Alas, my spine is still extremely sensitive to pressure. After standing, walking or worse sitting for 45 to 50 minutes my back feels as if somebody puts a 100 lb bag of cement on my shoulders. The surgeon had warned me that it would take a very long time for the spine to recover completely, and if I try to rush things I would end up again in hospital very soon, with the bitter possibility of quitting my job as a gun maker forever! So, by force majeur, I have to take it easy and slowly. I had built an interesting .600 Nitro bolt-action rifle in spring, plus a beautiful .500 Jeffery and .404 Jeffery in summer. I was just about to start another .500 plus a traditional Mauser/Jeffery trio .404 + .333 + .280 Jeffery + 2 more Newton Arms LeverBolt straight pull rifles when disaster struck me.

My legs are fit for elephant hunting again, but I certainly cannot get on a plane or even on a longer vehicle ride for 3 more months. However, I am positive that all will be O.K. by December. I will definitely attend the SCI-Convention in Reno 2010, sharing booth #
129 with my friends from Buffalo Hunters Australia as usual.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Yours Sincerely

Harald Wolf, Publisher & Gun Maker

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a huge fan of Hatari Times and I like to think that I was instrumental in getting Mr. Wolfe to re-release the first 12 issues on CD(I had bugged him for years- you guys are welcome )

Is this CD for sale?

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasjohn:
quote:
I am a huge fan of Hatari Times and I like to think that I was instrumental in getting Mr. Wolfe to re-release the first 12 issues on CD(I had bugged him for years- you guys are welcome )

Is this CD for sale?

below is a cut and paste of a PM I sent to another member:

Harold does have the first 12 issues on CD. He still advertises them on his website I believe.

He did advertise the CD back-issue set in the magazine, but when I spoke to him at SCI in Reno two years ago he said that the shipping to the US was too costly, so he had stopped including the ad. He did have a bunch of CD sets for sale at the show($35), and I believe he would mail one if you were to get in contact with him.

I also tried to get him to reprint all the back issues in single hardback volume, but he thought there would not be enough interest.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote