THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Father and Son Buffalo Hunt Video with CMS

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father and Son Buffalo Hunt Video with CMS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Here is a short video of my son, Garrett's buffalo hunt with Charlton McCallum Safaris in Makuti. We were on a Tuskless and Leopard hunt so Garrett got the opportunity to shoot all my bait.

He didn't score on the Buff until day 9 I think it was but I was proud of him. He had some opportunities on day 1 but refused to take a marginal shot. He didn't want to put anyone in danger by wounding a buff. I also didn't mind him taking a little farther shot than normal (about 100 yards in this case) as there is only so much "real" danger I'm going to allow him to be exposed to at 16 years old.

We had a great time together and I think I enjoyed his success much more than my own. I hope you guys enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Z5c&feature=youtu.be

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Great job, Todd and Garrett.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marcus. Garrett had a great time. He still talks about it every day. So do I!! Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video. Congrats on the hunt. How did things turn out for the Leopard?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALMOST makes me wish I had kids so I could take them hunting. My wife did all the child rearing stuff before we got married and my oldest Son in law and my oldest grandson are going to Africa before too long. Great job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
Great video. Congrats on the hunt. How did things turn out for the Leopard?

Nube,

Here is the link to the hunt report. Sorry for the lack of detail as this was my very first post on AR.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7361056751

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nube,
Don't you wish you could go hunt buffalo??
It sure looks like fun!!
Great work you two, it's so wonderful to see Fathers showing their children how to hunt, and spending real quality time with them!!!
Congrats...memories to last a lifetime

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video.
Garrett's got that young Buzz look going on with the hat.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Stuff!

One of Us
Picture of steve f
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the video !

SCI
DSC
NRA
NAHC
DRSS

Posts: 93 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Thanks for the post.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a better way to get a little father/son time than in the bush! Great memories for the two of you I am sure. Excellent video. Even better shooting by Garrett... a chip off the old block.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Todd
Very nice of you to take your son with you. I have taken both of mine on two trips each. The best time i have on a trip is watching the boys do the shooting.
hopefully they will take me when i get older. Big Grin
Congrats on a great trip beer

Posts: 756 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Nice video. The music is a little too lively for me but then its probably due to my age.

I particularly liked his safe gun handling.

I took my son with me on my 13th safari last year and let him shoot a buff, zebra and impala. It was my best safari even though I never tried to shoot a thing. I would highly recommend it to anyone able to do it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Nice video. The music is a little too lively for me but then its probably due to my age.

I took my son with me on my 13th safari last year and let him shoot a buff, zebra and impala. It was my best safari even though I never tried to shoot a thing. I would highly recommend it to anyone able to do it.

Allen,

Sorry about the music but I just couldn't resist as the name of the song is "Flirting with Disaster". It made Garrett think he is 10 feet tall! Wink Also, thanks for noticing his gun handling. Neither Rich or I had to remind him the entire trip. Looks like he picked it up well and just another reason I'm proud of him!

Chris,

Yep, hoping they take me when I'm old as well! tu2

Bwana Cecil,

Yeah, since we were struggling with the Leopard, we decided to change our luck by wearing "Rally Hats" this day. Garrett's was a tribute to Buzz! clap It worked as we got the Buff and the Cat!

Thanks for the nice comments fellas!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, great video....so clear and sharp. Would you mind listing what video equipment you used? Blake

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
Todd, great video....so clear and sharp. Would you mind listing what video equipment you used? Blake

Blake,

It is a lot better quality than what showed up on YouTube but the video was shot with a Cannon XHA1 on HDV tape and edited on Final Cut Pro X with a Mac, then sized for YouTube in Apple Compressor. Many of the professional editors don't like the new Final Cut but for a novice like me, it's great.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Congratualtions, Garrett and Todd.

Careful and responsible is the name of the buffalo game.

Nice hunt and the video lets us share in the excitement.

One questioning note:
I thought you were a 416 kind of father? beer Next time.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Great Shot Garret!looks like got the making a of a true trophy hunter there. Thanks for sharing some nice footage of Makuti, damn that grass can grow tall!! One thing you where in very safe hands with Rich and No-rest.
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
Congratualtions, Garrett and Todd.

One questioning note:
I thought you were a 416 kind of father? beer Next time.

Hey, I always said the 375 is great for women and children! sofa I do have him shooting the 416 now however. And he is ready to go back, go figure! Wink Garrett likes shooting the big guns. His older brother, not so much. He tops out with the 375H&H!

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Cool video. And I do like Molly Hatchet. What a way to start a lifetime of African hunting.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, I always said the 375 is great for women and children!

LOL and Amen...

Great vid and an experience your son will never forget...

Makuti is tough country...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The young man did well. So did his papa.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote