THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    From The Hunting Report Tanzania PH killed by elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From The Hunting Report Tanzania PH killed by elephant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Professional Hunter Godson Saitabau has been trampled and killed by an elephant while guiding a client in Tanzania. I learned of the terrible accident from Charlie Goldenberg of Premier Safaris, who says the accident took place in the Mahenge Open Area. Saitabau has guided in the past for Abdul Mulla of Francolin Safaris, who was able to give me a few more details.

Seems Saitabau was trampled by a cow elephant with a calf. According to Mulla, Saitabau and a tracker were following some elephants to see if the group contained a good bull. They were unaware that a cow elephant protecting her calf had seen them and was pursuing them. Mulla says the cow targeted Saitabau and killed him. Apparently, the client and tracker were unharmed. Saitabau was guiding for a company called Rana Tours and Hunting. I hope to have more information in the next issue of The Hunting Report. Our condolences to Saitabau's family.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
A tragedy. Each year African DG claims lives. Hope we can get more specifics. This is why it's called dangerous game hunting and also why some of us do it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Just more proof that hunting dangerous game is, in fact, dangerous. But, it's still a tragedy every time it happens.

RIP

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Damn. Condolences to the family.

I have had minor run ins with elephants while hunting buff, they all make me very nervous.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very tragic indeed. It seems every year the deaths run in spurts by one of the big five. A few years ago it was buffalo, then then were a few lionkillings and maybe this year it is elephant. Be careful out there!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great adventure ... many variables ... real risk ... things don't always work out the way we'd like.

Condolences to family, friends, the crew, and the client.

Be careful out there!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about it.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
My experiences with Mahenge cows was that they were aggressive both with and without calves.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was very fortunate to hunt buffalo with Godsen in the Selous in 2004. He was one of the best PH's I have had the pleasure of hunting with. He kept you informed of what is going on at the moment and what the game plan was. There was no suprises on his part.

We are diminished.

Harold

Posts: 22 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 02 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shared a camp with Godson in 2003. Good guy,
Sad news indeed.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear of this tragedy.

Elephant hunting in Zim this past 2 weeks was the most exciting hunting I have ever done in my life. When tables turned and winds shifted, it was also the most terrifying! Hunting in the thick jess when all you can see is legs coming your way is certainly un-nerving!

And the PH's who do this for a living just describe these ele cows as "a bit cheeky". Man, you can sure get addicted to adrenaline.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote