Find
Notify
Tools

WTB: Good Luck For Elephant Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I've never really understood the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good", but since I've never hunted Jumbo, I certainly won't be good. Therefore, I need some luck. What are some of your rituals to help coax out a little good hunting luck?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Be sure to wear your lucky hat.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky hats are good.

I have a couple lucky knives that I alternate carrying daily. If you carry them both at the same time, they cancel each other.

Oh and you aren't supposed to speak of the animal the night before you start the hunt.

And most important of all...no gun can be trusted on an important hunt until it draws blood on something else. Deer, coyote or whatever.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good area and a better PH provide the best luck. Big Grin

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 thumb

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Chamber the shells that you carried in your belt on the last elephant hunt!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
work hard and hunt every daylight hour you can ...the harder you work the luckier you will get !!!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I've never really understood the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good", but since I've never hunted Jumbo, I certainly won't be good. Therefore, I need some luck. What are some of your rituals to help coax out a little good hunting luck?

"When in Africa" - Use a Witchdoctor! Big Grin

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT

RELAX! Hunt hard but let the safari unfold as it will. I have a much better time and shoot better trophies if I don't get anxious. You can't will a big trophy to present itself so worry is really counter productive.

Have fun and don't melt!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Wear your lucky shirt.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott, you are a hunter and know that hard work pays off... Put your all into it. Success will follow.
This is the herd of bulls I shot my first ele out of... This is for you.
They are in 8 foot brush, pic taken at 500yds. Shot mine from the right side as they were moving into the deeper cover.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Going ove each reply, I think I have it all. the hardest one would be to not speak of the elephant the night before!

Mark, these forums are great for information and learning, as well as for fun. This post is for fun. Breath through your nose.

Thanks Mike, those are special photos. Very impressive to see a group like that!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I see now! I have a hat with a lobster on it(no sht)that I'm sure has made the difference in my success or it has helped me RELAX and that has made me more lucky. I just can't figure out which.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard work = Good luck Cool

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are in luck!! I recently started a new business providing elephant hunting insurance. Please send me the dates of your hunt and your Visa/MC number. I will take care of everything else. Enjoy your hunt

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
RELAX! Hunt hard but let the safari unfold as it will. I have a much better time and shoot better trophies if I don't get anxious. You can't will a big trophy to present itself so worry is really counter productive.

Have fun and don't melt!

Mark

+1

And the better shape you are in the better luck you will have. I would recommend walking 4 days a week leading up to your hunt. Walk(march) 4 mile at a brisk pace 3 days then walk 10 miles on Sunday. Do as much of you walking on slightly hilly ground. This will get you ready for the hunt and assure that you can recover quickly enough to hunt the day after a grueling march( extremely important! ). Walk in your hunting clothes and shoes. This will prevent blisters and chaffing during the hunt.

The PH will be monitoring how you are holding-up and he does not want to do you in half way through the hunt. If you are in shape your PH will lead you on a real hunt. If you show up in "banker" shape your PH will take it easy on you and that will affect the success of the hunt.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Some say that there is no such thing as luck.

Some believe that we make our luck and that any so-called luck that we don't make is at worst, non-existent, and at best, a helpful illusion.

I think that there is some non-made, and purely findable, luck, just lurking around, and that we can improve our odds of finding that findable luck - by bringing the right attitude to the enterprise.

Still, my luck on big bull elephant, after all has been said and done, is no better than fifty percent.

Is that luck?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Good Luck is where preparation meets opportunity! thumb

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
P.M. me your address and I'll send you a lucky charm.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we were at Hwange on a game viewing trip the guide picked a round brown seed from a pile of elephant dung. He said that to keep it was good luck.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Here's some food for thought:

What's it mean to have no luck?

Is there such a thing as bad luck?

Or is bad luck just the absence of good luck?

How does one avoid bad luck?

I always liked this one: The harder I work, the luckier I get! Big Grin

Too much talk about luck is not a good thing. I do know that.

Don't mess with my mojo. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Luck favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G L Krause:

Like lottery winners . . . right?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

This is a good quote! also your favorite lucky hat wouldn't hurt! Wink

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Luck

The first animal I have ever hunted and successfully killed was a Zebra, from 152yds. I'm a marksman of above average skill, but I was shaky, and my heart was thumping, and all the other wonderful things that come with the first time you look through the scope at the first animal you'll ever take. I lined up on the vitals, and I squeezed the trigger . . . and missed by over a foot.

The shot went high left and cracked his spine. He was dead before he hit the ground.

To me, that's what luck is. When you err, and somehow everything falls into place and you succeed anyway, that's luck. Good luck for you, bad luck for Zebra.

When you succeed without screwing up at all, then you're not lucky, you're just a badass.

Best of luck vs. the big tuskers!
Or . . . just be badass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G L Krause:

I thought it was, "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Luck exists. There are some situations that develop where skill will have no effect. When that gap suddenly appears in the impenetrable line squall you are approaching at 35,000 feet, that's luck. Your skill only got you there and would not otherwise take you safely through.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luck = Balls to the wall + positive attitude.

Also wanting something so bad often produces nothing, but when one stops obsessing about that trophy animal and lets the continual chain of thought go then things start happening.

Put it this way, dont spend 18 days staring at ele spoor, look up and about at all the different sights that one will find in the bush and sooner than you know it you will be onto your trophy

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I firmly believe that "luck" favors near indifference. Go in prepared in terms of gear and shot placement knowledge etc.....but concentrate more on enjoying the hunt and the area and the company. It often seems to me that the less I care about "bagging the game", the better and more game I seem to bag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you how to avoid "bad luck". Read my "Seven Ways to Ruin an Otherwise Perfectly Good Safari". here

To this I will add, cycle EVERY cartridge through your rifle BEFORE you get on the plane.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Left foot first.....followed by the right.....can't go wrong.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just send me US$5K and I'll have my duty witchdoctor cast you a good luck spell to keep you safe and bring you the biggest tusks in Africa.

Guarantee expires when you enter Africa! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember to rotate/change your cartridges every day until you find the lucky one beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard rolling in elephant dung as soon as you see it will bring you luck in shooting a big bull.
Make sure you do the dog roll and get it covering your entire body. It will add 20 lbs to the ivory of ele's in the area.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
SBT must be home soon, did he get lucky ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Little Ernest, courtesy of The Judge, proved to be the right medicine. Here he is with his second elephant.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
SBT, all you need to do is pull the trigger, your barrel is pointing straight at that stuffed jumbo. it even appears to be a perfect side brain shot.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote