THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Violence Erupts in CAR, Hunters Should Take Precautions

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Violence Erupts in CAR, Hunters Should Take Precautions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=780

Violence Erupts in CAR, Hunters Should Take Precautions

(posted June 20, 2016)

Hunters about to leave on safari to CAR should check in with their operator immediately. Sectarian violence as well as new attacks by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) has occurred in the last few days throughout the country. The Hunting Report has reliable reports of at least one safari cut short this weekend due to violence.

On Friday, June 17, a driver for Medecins sans Frontieres (Doctors without Borders) was shot to death when his convoy was ambushed by unidentified gunmen on the road between Sibut and Grimari in the center of the country. Just last month another driver for the organization was shot dead in a similar ambush in the north.

Earlier last week more than 10 people were killed in clashes in northern CAR near Ngaoudaye, where former rebels of Seleka were leading cattle through the town en route for Cameroon. The violence between the former rebels and the villagers continued for several days.

Additionally, the LRA has recently extended into areas in CAR that had previously seen little to no activity. They kidnapped 17 people from the eastern village of Kadjema on Thursday, June 16. Meanwhile in Bangui, clashes have broken out between Muslims and Christians. More than a dozen people have been killed, and 10 policemen were kidnapped in the PK5 Muslim enclave in Bangui. As this is written, travel in and out of the airport may not be secure.

Redpoint Resolutions LLC has been executing security evacuations from the affected region for its Ripcord Rescue Travel InsuranceTM clients. Utilizing their ground and air assets, they have rescued clients from violent regions.

Jack Holt, Redpoint’s South African-based Operations Manager notes: “There are 14 rebel groups spread across the country not including the terror threat and armed poachers in the bush. Indiscriminate attacks can happen anywhere.”

We will report more on the situation as the information comes in from Redpoint’s on-the-ground sources. – Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief.

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Where is the Seal Team Six Safari Company when you need them? popcorn

Or even Mad Mike Hoare, for that matter. sofa

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Mad Mike" Hoare is alive and well and turned 97 on (appropriately enough) 17 March. He'll probably sit this one out though!

It's a real pity, because CAR was such a great country. When Kolingba was president and the French ran things.

But what I REALLY want to know and will be almost impossible to quantify, is whether the upsurge in LAR activity markedly increases the ivory poaching. This whole question of how much poaching revenue is used to fund terror needs clarification.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Where is the Seal Team Six Safari Company when you need them? popcorn

Or even Mad Mike Hoare, for that matter. sofa

Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CAR is just a little bit too adventurous for me.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The CAR is just a little bit too adventurous for me.

Hi Larry,

Again, this goes back to an agent looking after our best interest. I went when I was told it was a "pretty good" window of political stability.

Had ZERO problems, in or out and had a truly amazing safari.

Yes, the LRA was operating not far from where we hunted, yes, I ran into Sudanese elephant poachers, never really felt unsafe in spite of that.

The group in after me...not so much. That's when Erik Mararv got arrested and a bunch of miners were killed.

I'd go back in a heartbeat should things ever get back on an even keel. There is nothing like it on the planet.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
"Mad Mike" Hoare is alive and well and turned 97 on (appropriately enough) 17 March. He'll probably sit this one out though!

It's a real pity, because CAR was such a great country. When Kolingba was president and the French ran things.

But what I REALLY want to know and will be almost impossible to quantify, is whether the upsurge in LAR activity markedly increases the ivory poaching. This whole question of how much poaching revenue is used to fund terror needs clarification.

you mentionned the right way french ran the things not kolimgba ... depending who you were it was even better before ....

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, that's what I've heard. The '80s were pretty halcyon days for a lot of Africa. Mobutu ran Zaire with an iron fist but walk where you would in downtown Kinshasa after dark. If a train left the station at 8:00 in Libreville you'd better not arrive at 8:01. Many say those years were when South Africa was at its best and Mugabe had yet to lose his mind.

Sadly the lesson the intervening years has taught is that things are going the wrong way and accelerating.

Pity.
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:

you mentionned the right way french ran the things not kolimgba ... depending who you were it was even better before ....