New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oryx Types?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of the four? Oryx types are available for hunting? Is a 'Grand Slam' possible?

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about all 4 types, but I believe the scimitar horned oryx is only available to be hunted here in Texas, New Mexico, and possibly on some game ranches in other states.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
SCI has 6 different Oryx's listed:

1- Gemsbok or Southern Oryx---- Still Hunted in Africa

2- Kalahari gemsbok -----------still hunted in Africa

3- Angolan Gemsbok ---------Not hunted

- East African Oryx (2 sub species)

4- Beisa Oryx - - - - still hunted in Africa
5- Fringed-eared Oryx--Still hunted in Africa

6-Scimitar-horned Oryx - - - hunted on game ranches (USA)

There's also the Addax, which kinda is a Oryx, Addax meaning "crooked horn" They are very endangered, hunted on game ranches..... (USA)

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 4 you are referring to are:
Gemsbok
Beisa
Fringe-eared
Scimitar Horned

All but the Scimitar Horned can still be hunted in Africa is my understanding.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
4 still hunted in Africa - That sounds like a cool slam. Good luck!

Riodot

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Is the angolan oryx the same as the arabian oryx? all white a little on the skinny side with black markings on the face.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Those damn taxidermists know it all...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Yes we do!! Big Grin

Anything to do with critters that is - - - - - - Big Grin

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Scimitar Horned Oryx can still be hunted in Africa. I took mine in South Africa and saw dozens of them. You will need the appropriate CITES permit paper work from both the U.S. and South Africa to take one and to bring it back home. Mine is 40" on the horns. You could also take an Addax while there too. I know of a PH that could arrange your hunt for both if you are ever interested, in addition to the good old regular Gemsbok.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun

Hey, what kind of trophy fees are you talking on these critters?

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:
Is the angolan oryx the same as the arabian oryx? all white a little on the skinny side with black markings on the face.

I think that they are building a population of the arabian oryx here in Texas, I have seen a few in trophy rooms. I think they were blasted away some years ago in their native habitat. I personally think that they make a very nice trophy mount. I don't think they would be the same animal as an Angolan oryx. They are the white skinny one with the black markings on the face.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scimitar horned oryx. $3000.00 trophy fee, plus VAT and paperwork. Irene Safaris, RSA.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Rbhunt,
yes i have also seen some in a few trophy rooms one from a very recent hunt, but i wasn't familiar with how the angolan species looked, i really were't sure if they were the same or not. thanks jj

nopride2,
3000$ sounds a little steep to me they can be had for less than that here (minus the experience) in the US and you can save shipping and cites hassles?

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
No an Arabian oryx is not a Angolan.

Angolan are available in Northern Namibia on some ranches.

Arabian are available in Texas one some ranches.

The Arabian is a tiny little shit of an oryx. Nothing impressive about him.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi Klimes sent me a mag. named "Hunting Namibia" in it is a good article written by the later Elmer Gates on Oryx.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll coppy it for you. Cats

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I believe my trophy fee on the Scimitar Horned Oryx was $2500.00, the gemsbok was $700.00 and I am not sure what the Addax was going to be, but I believe that it was going to run about the same as the Scimitar. I didn't hunt the Addax because I switched my hunting preferences to dangerous game from plains game on my next trip to Africa. The Addax would be one fine trophy to take and to have. I do have a PH contact for that if you are interested as well as one on the Scimitar. In fact, when I shot my Scimitar, there was one young Scimitar that was much longer in the horns, (mine was 40") that they were going to give it a couple of years before having it taken. By the way, my gemsbok male's horns were 42", also a good trophy for South Africa. It has been a couple of years now and I don't know if it has been taken or not, or what the price would be. The Scimitars that I hunted have very good horns, not funky like a lot of them get from inbreeding, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curtis it is in the US mail, Cats

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are better prices than you can get in Texas so it would be a pretty good deal as long as you were there anyway.