2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Todd:
Point is well taken.
Cheers,
Cal

beer

BTW, looks like you guys had a great time in OZ!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I was offered a 14 day safari with the booking agent that had booked a safari for me the year before. This was so the agent could afford a male lion, which was all he wanted and I was as an observer, but what amounted to a 2X1 safari, could shoot what ever I wanted, including a lioness on his license. The outfitter didn’t care who shot what as long as the full daily fees, and observer fees and trophy fees were paid. We would combine the daily fees, and observer fees and split them down the middle and each pay our own our own trophy fees for what we took, and divide the shipping by the number of animals each took. As it turned out some problems came up that made it impossible for me to take him up on the deal. With this deal I could have taken a lioness, and two buffalo very cheaply, and my agent would take his male lion far cheaper than on his own because it required a 14 day hunt to take the lions, and 14 days would allow me two Cape buffalo, and a lioness.

This was with Engwenya Safaris out of Mfuwe Zambia, hunting in the upper Lupandi, who later in the early 1990s joined with two other safari companies to form Tanzania Game trackers! I have always wished I could have taken advantage of that deal. TGT is priced out of my league today, as are all lions anywhere.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of my all time best hunts have been 2X1.. both times with some of my best buds. Those hunts are some of my most cherished.

One of my WORST safaris was a 2X1, also with a "friend".

Some hunts are left to be 1X1 and to do othwise would be foolish.

I would never pigeon hole myself and say I ONLY hunt 1X1 or 2X1, etc.. Each hunt is diff with completely diff situations and circumstance. Go forth accordingly.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
I would never pigeon hole myself and say I ONLY hunt 1X1 or 2X1, etc.. Each hunt is diff with completely diff situations and circumstance. Go forth accordingly.

My favorite hunts are 2X2 out of the same camp! In this case you are still hunting with friends, and camp life is better. One benefit is if one finishes early he can join his friend with a video camera, and record his friends hunt!

The one thing I will not participate in is, something that I find a lot in the USA! Two or three guys hunting together and there is no attempt to choose a designated shooter order, and deer jumps up and everyone starts shooting at the same time. To me this is not hunting but more like warfare!

I will say that in 70 years of hunting since the age of six years 99 percent of my hunting has been alone, but the only drawback to that is I have seen a done some things most would not believe, so cannot be shared with others!

……………………………………………………………………………............................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have seen a done some things most would not believe, so cannot be shared with others!

You dirty old ...... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Together for every one of these and a lifetime of others.

When I was 5, my father and I were in an apple tree bow hunting for whitetails. After hours there as the sun dipped below the horizon and the end of our hunting day approached, I looked down and saw a white deer. Don't know if it was albino or just white.

"Dad" I whispered and pointed downward.

We watched him until it was too dark to see anymore. Moments of beauty shared with my dad.

45 years later we still talk about that tree, that deer, that sunset, that hunt.

For me, that is what it's all about.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would only hunt 2x1 with my wife or 2 sons.
Would not do it my closest of friends otherwise.
I'm not that competitive, but don't want to find out on a very expensive hunt that they are.
I just want to have fun or die trying.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first African hunt was four buddies with two guides. We had a great time.
I now have 11 more safaris behind me....all one on one....
My first five Elk hunts were DIY with a bunch of great guys or 2x1....both my quiet decent Elk were 1x1....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I are going to RSA in May '13. We will hunt together as it will be our first safari. If, when, I go back, it will be 1:1.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote