New
Find
Notify
Tools

PH mauled by chui
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wayne Williamson has been mauled by a leopard while hunting in mozambique.
Below is an email from his wife:

Wayne spent three hours in theatre this afternoon, came out sore and shattered. His head looks like an axe murderer has mutilated it. He has a fractured bone in his left hand, they cannot set it as had to open it up to clean it - it is very swollen from that bad leopards nasty bacteria !!!!! His shoulder & left arm, hand are really not functioning at all. Had a cat scan yesterday the skull is not fractured thank God.

A French PH and his client wounded the leopard the night before, Wayne went in to help them. Wayne was crouching down when it came - it all happened very fast. The leopard hooked him on the right side of his head and pulled his head into its mouth. Wayne some how got his hand and arm into its mouth to try and get it to stop eating his head, Wayne managed to throw the leopard off and the french PH shot it. This all happened in Mozambique, Wayne wrapped up his head on his own, organised the others to get the vehicle, then set his GPS and walked to the vehicle on his own - the thought of that makes me sick, I can't believe they let him walk on his own (he was probably being very bossy). They drove back to camp, got him into a boat, flew to Kariba for fuel and they came into Byo.

For some bizarre reason Wayne wrote out all his medical aid details that am and gave them to the camp manager, he wrapped a towel around his left arm & duct taped it, he then put a leather glove on (he has never done that before) - that is the hand / arm that he shoved into the leopards mouth - the damage would have been far more severe without that protection. Wayne usually leaves his medical aid kit in the vehicle, he made his tracker carry it. The leopard literally scalped him, I cannot describe what his head looks like, no damage to his face or eyes.

I hope this e mail makes sense, I am exhausted and not thinking very clearly. We hope to get Wayne to JHB tomorrow. I told him you had e mailed and a tired little smile broke out, his eyes look so sad and shattered. But he is being very brave, he honestly makes more fuss when he has flu."

Be careful out there!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to Wayne on a speedy recovery.
Will it be possible to let me know in which hospital he will be in JHB, I might be able to drop in.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
An example of why PH's are underpaid. Frowner

Love them clients, eh?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Wayne a speedy recovery. Ozhunter and I shared a camp with him in 2004 and he was great company.

It was only this morning I received an emailed update of how Wayne's season was progressing!!!

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We were in camp with Wayne last September in Lemco, he is a fantastic PH.

Wayne and Muffy our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wishing wayne a speedy speedy recovery.

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck for a speedy recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to a brave man for a full and quick recovery.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13624 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I don't know Wayne, personally, but he is like every PH I've known in Africa, willing to go into the weeds with what ever needs sorting out, regardless of who's animal it is! thumb

Get well Wayne, we got hunting to do! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear about this. Wayne is an excellent guy and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this make you want to re-evaluate how much you tip your next PH?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I don't know this Wayne, but he sounds like my kind of guy. Godbless and Godspeed from us in Texas.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
My thoughts & Prayers are with you my friend, Muffy & family. Please keep us advised as to the status of his recovery. May GOD bless you in your time of need!

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wayne is in our small prayers. Brave man.

Thank Heavens he took the precautions he did!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to think someone is incredibly unlucky (attacked) and incredibly lucky (survived) at the same time but he was. Best wishes to Wayne for a full recovery.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
My prayers goes out to you and your husband, it must be a terrible ordeal.

If there is anything, I can do once you are in Johannesburg please feel free to contact me.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wayne,
may God heal and bless you completely!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Please pass on all of our best wishes for his speedy recovery. I am sure that even if he does not know us he will feel the support that he has WORLDWIDE for his complete recovery in reading our posts.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Hang in there Wayne. All of us are thinking of you. You'll be back to work in no time!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I suspect any of us who have hunted much have made a bad shot. I know I have.

My sympathies also go to the hunter who must feel rotten about this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had the pleasure of hunting with Wayne this past September in Lemco. Besides being a first rate PH he is an all around good guy. He was a blast to have in camp but when it came to hunting he was dead serious and the kind of PH who worked his ass off trying to get you the best trophy possible. I have emailed Muffy to let her know of all the well wishers on AR. Wayne will be up and running at full speed in no time. That is just the type of guy he is. Gods Speed Wayne ! Mike & Linda

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good wishes and God Bless Wayne with a speedy recovery.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Wayne, but I will say a prayer for his full recovery.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for a speedy and complete recovery.

Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I met Wayne and his wife on my first Safari in Zim 2004. We stayed in their camp a couple of days as I was to kill a cow elephant for the tribal council in that area. They are good people. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I just returned from hunting leopard in Namibia, and saw first hand a leopard charge, stopped at 10 feet (no joke) by my PH. Chui is absolutely as fast as lightening.

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Wow- a lot of damage done very quickly. I assume the other PH shot the catt off the victim within seconds.

On my lep hunt my PH said again and again leps usually don't kill you, they will scalp you and chew you up.

I hope the PH in question recovers quickly and that this will be his last hit from DG.

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRL,
Tell us more about your hunt!! I was in Namibia last year.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to Wayne. Fortunately, the French PH could shoot. I think most of the PH's over there are more concerned about a well-meaning client shooting them while trying to dispatch the cat then they are about the mauling they are getting from the cat.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar:

I'll try to post this weekend, once I get pictures. The hunt was using dogs through Classic Safaris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wishing you better tomorrows Wayne!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got an email from Wayne yesterday telling me he is off on his last safari for the year - 18 day hunt for buff and bull ele.

He says he has recovered well from his encounter with chui, and has conducted a few hunts since he got out of hospital. Seems Mr Williamson is either one tough fella, extremely stubborn, or possibly both. I'd guess most people would do a bit more healing before going back to work!!!

Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
Good news!! thumb

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Most long term PHs seem to carry "scratches" from leopard of varying degrees of severity.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Wayne was my PH last week and a Great Guy and has some Nice scars to show those cats are scary when wounded!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure this isnt from last years attack??
We hunted with Wayne in May at the Rifa area in Zim. The circumstances sound about the same.
He is certainly unfortunate if lightning has struck twice in the same spot. Chuck

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck5656:
Are you sure this isnt from last years attack??
We hunted with Wayne in May at the Rifa area in Zim. The circumstances sound about the same.
He is certainly unfortunate if lightning has struck twice in the same spot. Chuck

The thread is from 2006. I think he just pulled it up beause he was hunting with the same PH mentioned in the thread. So I believe it is last year's incident.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that he has recovered and is back in action.

Maybe prayers and good wishes from so many really do work....

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
That cats are really more dangerous that our pumas and jaguars ,..im glad that hes on the arena again.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote