New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magna Port on Dangerous Game Rifles
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am looking at a 416 Rigby that happens to have a Magna Port system cut into the barrel.

What is your experience with Magna Port in the field, is it effective i.e. reducing recoil and muzzle jump, is it dangerous to your hearing without protection or to PH/Trackers near you say as bad as full screw on type brakes?

I am not recoil sensitive and I don't want to ruin my hearing....and further have a hard time thinking about putting on protection going in after a wounded Buff or Brown Bear...without being able to hear!!

What is your experience?

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 that I rarely use. It is effective. Noise is not an issue.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I had my M70 .308 feather weight magna ported for 3 reasons:
1. Reduces muzzle jump significantly
2. Reduces recoil 10%
3. My wife can shoot the rifle

It did not increase noise or muzzle blast.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only had it done to handguns (back in the day, when Larry Kelly used to hunt in Rhodesia during the bush war, he was guided by National Parks Warden Oliver Coltman. When Ollie moved to Bophuthatswana to take over as Warden of the Pilanesberg, Larry followed him and it was there that he took his white rhino - with a TC Contender if I remember correctly. Larry and Ollie were good friends, and Larry apprenticed Ollie in the 'Sates and helped him set up in Kroondaal, a little town outside of Rustenburg, as Mag-Na-Port's South African agent. Tragically, Ollie was killed in a helicopter crash during a game count, but by then he had done a number of pistols for me. Here endeth the history lesson.)

There was no "blast" like from the 360 degree muzzle brakes. I found that there was little perceived effect on slow controlled fire, but on rapid fire shots it did make a difference. I never noticed any increase in the sound, either.

It would be interesting to know whatever became of Ollie's kit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 416 Rem that was Magnaported. It did not seem to change much to me unless I shot it at our rifle range with a roof. It seemed pretty loud then. I don't think recoil was reduced very much. It is certainly less unpleasant than a brake in the noise department.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will find that some PHs hate muzzle breaks of any type as all increase muzzle blast/noise. Of course you really don't concentrate on it in the field, but over time, it can take its toll on hearing.

On the positive side, Magna porting is the least offender when it come to muzzle blast and muzzle breaks.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago, I went to Larry Kelly's shop in the northern suburbs of Detroit with a friend of mine who was considering having Larry Magnaport his .375 Blaser. In the lobby of Larry's shop was a picture of a huge male lion sticking his head in the chest cavity of a native he had just killed. Shortly thereafter, Larry shot him with one of his Magnaported pistols. Not for the faint of heart!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have many magnaported DG rifles. I am not that recoil sensitive until after .458 caliber, but it does reduce recoil some but less than the screw on types. I have never found the muzzle blast to be bothersome to the shooter like the screw ons. It does reduce muzzle jump quite a bit which is the primary reason I like it, making follow up shots quicker in my opinion. It is loud up front so I tell my PHs to stay back or cover their ears. I have never had a single PH complain about the magnaporting.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Ruger No1 375H&H that I had Magnaported and it definately reduced felt recoil, and sounded no loader than it did originally. I also had a Ruger No1 chambered for 338mag that was not ported and the recoil was greater than the 375 Mag No1.

Personally the Magnaport is superior to the screw on ones for noise reduction.

.................................................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote