New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivory Tips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So what determines whether or not an animal produces ivory tips? I am speaking mostly of the spiral horned antelopes.

Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
From my experience it is wear on the horn that creates ivory tips and mostly from digging, tree rubbing, rutting etc. Can be also attributed to dense habitat.

Some animals of the same specie for instance will dig more than others. I have seen sitatunga and bushbuck do this and it would seem to be a display to impress their ladies.

Mature animals often but not always display ivory tips.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and I remember seeing this picture before. That has to be one of the greatest sets of ivory worn sitatunga horns I've ever seen! The question of ivory showing up came from viewing all the bushbucks taken reciently at mudyamadzi having only one sporting ivory?

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AR MAN:
Thanks for the info and I remember seeing this picture before. That has to be one of the greatest sets of ivory worn sitatunga horns I've ever seen! The question of ivory showing up came from viewing all the bushbucks taken reciently at mudyamadzi having only one sporting ivory?

It is a general rule and this one that was taken during the hunt is mature but lacks ivory.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that a lot of it has to do with the availability and use of mineral licks. Horned animals typically dig with the horn tips to pry up bite sized pieces of mineral soil.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I shot one that was completely rubbed. Not super long, but looked super old

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That last Bushbuck looks to be an old bugger with a ton of character. It appears at least with Bushbuck, taking one that sports ivory worn horns is quite unique and all the more special.

Thanks for sharing