THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SANParks to cull 2,600 animals, says 'disguised trophy hunting' not allowed

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SANParks to cull 2,600 animals, says 'disguised trophy hunting' not allowed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.timeslive.co.za/ne...hunting-not-allowed/

SANParks to cull 2,600 animals, says 'disguised trophy hunting' not allowed

28 July 2020 - 17:17
BY ERNEST MABUZA

SA National Parks (SANParks) has issued a tender for the culling more than 2,600 animals in six of its 19 national parks.

The tender was issued to “credible service providers which have experience and capability in the culling industry”. The 2,620 animals that need to be culled include ostrich, gemsbok, warthog and zebra.

The tender has a number of conditions with which the winning bidders must comply, including that no “disguised trophy hunting” was permitted.

The winning bidders must also ensure the harvested meat was processed through a registered abattoir. Being in possession of or consuming liquor during the culling operation, or bringing any alcohol to any part of the culling operations, was strictly prohibited.

The conditions also require that all refuse generated by culling operations must be removed from the park by the operator.

“This includes ammunition, shells and domestic waste, and so on. Under no circumstances should any of the above items be disposed of with the entrails (should the latter be disposed of in the veld)," the tender states.

The contract will be for one year.

SANParks seeks to have these animals culled:

Namakwa National Park — 250 ostrich, 200 gemsbok;
Mokala National Park — 400 warthog, 200 springbok, 20 waterbuck, 100 ostrich;
Addo Elephant National Park — 1,000 warthog, 100 kudu, 100 plains zebra;
Camdeboo National Park — 10 deer, 100 ostrich;
Tankwa National Park — 80 ostrich; and
Karoo National Park — 60 ostrich.
Dr Luthando Dziba, SANParks managing executive for conservation services, explained the cull in an interview on Cape Talk on Tuesday.

“We strive to ensure we continually improve the resilience of the ecosystem to ensure biodiversity is maintained or even improved. Culling is one of the tools we have as conservation managers to ensure we remove excess animals. If we have too many animals, especially in some of our smaller parks, that could negatively affect the state of our ecosystem,” Dziba said.

The closing date for the tender is August 14 at 11am.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I agree with them.

culling, and trophy hunts should be kept separate.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68660 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that the tenders are awarded to the politically connected, who will subcontract to the practically qualified.

And this is about free meat for voters, not conservation. Why is Kruger conspicuously absent? Perhaps because those wards are safely in the ANC camp already.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Seemed from my visits to Kruger they need to be culling Elephant.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I agree with them.

I disagree. If they brought hunters in like they did in the 70’s and 80’s along with PH ‘s they could generate A LOT more revenue which could go towards conservation(game scouts, fuel vehicles).

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
I think you will find that the tenders are awarded to the politically connected, who will subcontract to the practically qualified.

And this is about free meat for voters, not conservation. Why is Kruger conspicuously absent? Perhaps because those wards are safely in the ANC camp already.

Of course.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I agree with them.

I disagree. If they brought hunters in like they did in the 70’s and 80’s along with PH ‘s they could generate A LOT more revenue which could go towards conservation(game scouts, fuel vehicles).

We all know that.....but! The politicians wouldn't get to steal as much.......

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
The tender has a number of conditions with which the winning bidders must comply, including that no “disguised trophy hunting” was permitted.

Imbeciles!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked that the tender document, it's all about having the right "black economic empowerment" score, not about whether you can shoot straight.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote