Find
Notify
Tools

Benin Buffalo - 9.3x62 or .375H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Well folks, I booked with Russell Selle, San Miguel Adventures for a 14 day hunt in Benin with Club Faune in January 2008 for everything but lion (they are booked out until 2010). Looking to hunt roan, harnessed bushbuck, red flanked duiker, western Bubal hartebeest, western bush duiker, Nagor reedbuck and oribi. Oh yea and NW savannah buffalo...

I understand they are somewhat smaller than ol' syncerus caffer... my dilemma, should I take my time tested Searcy .375H&H with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame load or take my virgin Kizler built 9.3x62 shooting Lapua naturalis 285 grainers?

I would like to break in my 9.3 and it is a light well-balanced rifle with a Zeiss 2.5x8 Conquest... but my old .375 has taken buff in Tanzania and bunches of other game all over Africa...

What would you do if you couldn't take both?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody the 9.3!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 375, but if I had a new 9.3 I'd take it.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,

What load are you using with the naturalis, that is one bullet I've played with a bit but could not get the factory stuff to shoot very well in my 9.3, just lookin for a good starting point. I 've got to order some stuff from Grafs this week anyway.

Heck IMO I'd blood the 9.3!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What load are you using with the naturalis, that is one bullet I've played with a bit but could not get the factory stuff to shoot very well in my 9.3

Sorry, Ed, no reloading data as I am using the factory load. Groups around 1" to 1.25" in my rifle which is good enough for buff...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Russell,

The 375 has done it's job and done it well. It has had it's turn. It is now time to give it's little brother a chance.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The allure of a new rifle is irresistible. I can never fight it and usually I don't even try.

I'd go with the 9.3x62mm. thumb

Sounds like a terrific safari, BTW. Best of luck.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Rhino in RSA makes the 300 grain bullet for 9,3mm and Rhino in Sweden loads the 9,3x62 with that bullet, its an 100 meter cartridge, but you get an sledge hammer for the 9,3 with that round.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check whether either ammo is available locally in the hunting area. That might be a deciding factor.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Give the 9.3 it's chance. BOOM

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you'll be able to tell the difference between the two and neither will the game.I would opt for the 9.3 myself

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Take me and you can use both. I'll carry one for you. It's just that easy.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Take the virgin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no point in owning a 9.3 unless it gets to go hunting... Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Have you made sure that the 9.3x62 is legal in Benin. I saw a fellow hunting in BF with a .338, btw, so in West Africa, the caliber may well be o.k.

I've hunted buff in Burkina Faso (albeit, with a .404 Jeffery). Even though smaller, Savannah buffalo can be quite testy.

If kosher, I'd take the 9.3x62 just because I hadn't used it yet.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russel,
When I grow up I am going to be just like you! How many trips is this 12? When are you going to get that elusive LION. Then you will have it all.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you made sure that the 9.3x62 is legal in Benin

Good question, Judge... always good to have a legal scholar amongst us! I'll check on it!

quote:
When I grow up I am going to be just like you!

Hell Ernie, who said I grew up!

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would keep in mind that dwarf buffalo are more agressive than Cape buffalo, I personally would opt for the .375 or a .416 based on that alone..I am a big fan of the 9.3x62 but its a marginal caliber anyway you cut it. But I suppose it will work, I have killed Cape Buffalo with it and it seemed to compare with my .338 on buffalo, and thats satisfactory IMO.

Neither caliber is my idea of a stopping caliber and you just might need that extra punch IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think you should take the 9.3 for the plains game and get a new 500 rifle built just for the buffalo!!! You can't take your money with you!!

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Els:

I think my September trip will be no. 12. You can adopt me and pay for number 13?

Regardless of any of us expanding our family, why don't you, me and Russell arrange a safari.

Us old farts need to stick together. We can buy out the 2010 lion quota in Benin? Don't all three of us have a .450/.400? Isn't that like DNA?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Els:

I think my September trip will be no. 12. You can adopt me and pay for number 13?

Regardless of any of us expanding our family, why don't you, me and Russell arrange a safari.

Us old farts need to stick together. We can buy out the 2010 lion quota in Benin? Don't all three of us have a .450/.400? Isn't that like DNA?

The three of you can team up and adopt me (I am a problem child who needs lots of supervision anyway Wink)
And besides, I am a big fan of the 450/400. That should count for something...Right? beer

Good luck on your trips this year guys.

Oh - and for what it is worth I would take the 9.3 also. Gotta get it bloody somewhere.

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 9.3 was legal for big game in Benin.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote