THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you guys think about this load for DG?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys think about this load for DG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found this loading at DoubleTap:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.p...h=45&products_id=172
I am curious if anyone thinks that it would be a good cape buff and/or lion load.

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks good, but it would be hard for me to change from the 300 gr North Fork after the performance I had with it in Tanzenia this year on buff.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a 300 grain premium, say a Swift A-Frame at 2,400 fps. No one in his right mind would sight a dangerous game rifle 2.6" high at 100 yards! I like Woodleigh bullets IF they are accurate in my rifle, and would load this to a MAX of 2,400 fps.
Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] No one in his right mind would sight a dangerous game rifle 2.6" high at 100 yards /QUOTE]

You mean that PH's don't encourage 200 yard shots on buffalo!!! Wink

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
2450fps with a 350 grain bullet will get you right up there with a 416 in terms of felt recoil. I would want a .375 rifle on the heavy side and good eye relief on the scope.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I am a proponent of heavy for caliber bullets for heavy dangerous game, I think this should be an awesome load.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I figured it would be a real stomper, but I wanted more opinions before I slapped down the $$$!

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While there is no doubt it would hit hard and perform well, I would consider making sure they also sell the FMC in the same weight or be able to load the 350 gr FMC (available at Midway and likely others). Otherwise it may be tough to get a solid to shoot to roughly the same POI, if you believe in using these for 2nd and subsequent shots on buffalo (and the PHs with whom I've hunted buff insisted on one soft, followed by solids).
I'm asking here too about its use on lions. While it too would no doubt hit hard, I've often heard that its "best" to use a somewhat lighter bullet (but still with adequate SD) and get more velocity- something to do with "shock" on the cats highly tuned nervous system. This may be true, false, or who knows, but it is frequently stated. In that case wouldn't a premium 300 grain work as well or "better" for lion? One of these should give adequate penetration for lion, and hit a little faster (again, assuming this is a valid consideration) I'm asking in part because I plan to do a lion hunt in 2008, and have not yet figured out 350 or 400 grain .416 for same (or 270 gr or 300 gr .375).

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote