Tools

PH Salaries
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
its not enough so tip well.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know some are thinking that it dosn't sound to bad, 100 days a year at $300 a day plus tips. I can't say that has never happened, but I've never heard of anyone coming anywhere near that. Someone also commented that, they still have over 200 days to work somewhere else. How many jobs let you leave for 100 days and then come back? Hardly any and the ones that do are usually the ones that nobody else wants! If you figure your PH who is working his butt off is making about the same as the high school dropout that asks you, "would you like fries with that"? You will be right on most of the time.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that few PHs are getting rich, however we must take into consideration the cost of living in Africa compared to the US. I visited the home of one of the PHs I hunted with in Africa once and he lived every bit as well as most Americans. He had several full time house people, yard men, maids who were paid somewhat less than one would pay in the US. How many of the people here have a "staff" in their home? Some for sure, but I would guess most do not. I still mow the lawn myself, and don't have anyone to turn down the bed or bring me my beer.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitroX,
I am not showing any distinct failure to read the posts, I am trying to tell you in a suttle manor that some PHs tend to BS, just like car salesmen, politicians, and booking agents that tell you they sell 25 hunts at SCI every year... sofa

I am just telling you that PHs are about as underpaid as anyone I know when you cut through the core..I don't know any that are getting rich, and damn few that are living to a high standard...Most today have farms and jobs to supplement their PH jobs...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The average income last time I checked in RSA for a white person was $900 per month, and they all have a housefull of help, I assure you help is considerably cheaper in RSA than in the states, even on the Mexican border....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is beating a dead horse, but I think Nitrox is talking about Tanzania, the "Premium" safari destination. As in "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" safari. I was talking about Zim, my destination of choice, "most bang for your bucks safari." I am talking RSA ranch safari $350 a day (not going to get rich on that), Zimbabwe free range dangerous game $900 a day, Tanzania $1700 a day. But talking apples to apples, RSA would be at the bottom, Zim next, and Tanzania PHs would be the high dollar guys, but what do I know? Wink

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way PH's are getting wealthy is by acting as "agents" and getting the commission for booking the hunt as well as their pay. That makes a big difference which ever country you hunt in.

It is also why there is a huge shortage of PH's in Zim at the moment, and why guys who would normally never get the choice hunts are being offered work at the moment- too many of the good guys have moved out.

And RB- living standards are different - I cannot afford satelite TV (and who would watch ZBC???) so we don't have a TV. I have two full time servants, but have to save up for my kids vaccinations (36 million Zim ) - ie 14 days hunting if I worked for HHK and 36 months salary for the gardiner. (minumum wage is 850,000 ( US$16) per month for domestic workers and you are limited as to how much extra you are allowed to pay). School fees at the best school in Harare are 360 million a year, but I can buy a ½ chicken and chips for 80,000. It is hard to compare standards of living.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
loboga,
FWIW, there are some employment opportunities for these guys outside of the 3-month safari season, which is sometimes actually longer than that. In fact, my PH in TZ this year has his last safari scheduled for mid-December. He doesn't have a second job as his wife has a full-time corporate job in England.
The off-season jobs that my Zim HHK PH had was in game relocation in Zim and Botswana. Other PH's, including those in TZ, are involved with photographic safaris (Ernst Sholz, for example) when it’s not hunting season. There are also opportunities to be involved with anti-poaching patrols, an effort into which several of the better safari companies are putting significant interest and resources.
Another TZ PH I met, Tony Moore, comes to the USA during his off-season and manages a huge hunting ranch in Texas. I'm hoping to go hunt with him in January.
I guess the point is that for a guy that needs the money and has the work ethic that can be rare among much of the work force, there are things a PH can do when he's not hunting.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring, I didn't say there was no jobs available for them in the off season, but it isn't like you can have some great job for 9 or even 7 months a year and just leave it whenever you want to PH. Its not that most PH's want to have another job, its because they HAVE to have another job. I know I do it!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
Maybe it is beating a dead horse, but I think Nitrox is talking about Tanzania, the "Premium" safari destination. As in "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" safari. I was talking about Zim, my destination of choice, "most bang for your bucks safari." I am talking RSA ranch safari $350 a day (not going to get rich on that), Zimbabwe free range dangerous game $900 a day, Tanzania $1700 a day. But talking apples to apples, RSA would be at the bottom, Zim next, and Tanzania PHs would be the high dollar guys, but what do I know? Wink

RBHunt

You have got it in one.

I hunted South Africa with a friend who is a PH but also has a full-time job. He did the hunt with me for free plus costs. I had discretely asked him what he made in his full-time job, so at the end of the hunt 'tipped' him 150% of his normal wages plus a gift or two. He was very happy. South African PH wages are a LOT less than Tanzanian rates, especially those guys doing a fair number of 21 day safaris.

Ray - fair enough. The guy I was talking to was honest. I have a well atuned BS meter so usually know the difference.

We'll let it rest at a difference in opinion.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote