New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous game on OLN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone seen tonights episode of the elephant hunt?

Did the shooting leave a little to be desired for or am I wrong?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I missed it at 8pm but it is back on at 11pm eastern time

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Info.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the show yet, but every time I see that show, I keep saying to myself, "Why can't I have that job?" bawling

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Elephant Hunting in Zimbabwe. It is on tonight, 10-27-05, at 9:00 PM, Rocky Mountain Standard Time.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like dangerous game, ck out getting wild with cindy, she shoots a 470 double, and has taken water buff,hippo and croc,and bongo.
its on espn on sunday am.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farktoof:

the shooting was terrible, so was the editing by showing it stand back-up. I had one cow stand up again and it was ugly i hated it. if my shooting was that bad I just stop hunting.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well I watched it and I did like the mock charges..I did like how fast that bull turned and came with his head down and looking for some justice...
Both hit him high in the forehead honeycombed him right and left side...If is was not for the .500NE which knocked the bull down.. Also I believe the PH with the double shot the bull in the leg to break it...Keeping him down..In my opinion someone would have got smushed... Eeker
I liked the size of the ele 16 feet tall as heavy as a greyhound bus...WOW.. Big Grin I glad I shot a small bull I only carried a 458 Lott...

I thought the video was very good most of all realisticly presented showing all of the angles and hahitat.
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I liked it (never been) but it and the Ruger show after it seemed a cut above the norm.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a good show. The gentlemen were knowledgeable, respectful of the game and good spokesmen for our sport. It took me to another time and place and was the best half hour of my week.

I've made a few shots I wasn't proud of too, maybe I'm the only one. In fact, more than a few of those were while things were chasing me.

Behind the scenes, I'm sure the guys weren't real proud of their shooting. Maybe their budget wouldn't cover getting the "props" guys to set the bull up to do it over and over until the director approved.

Come to think of it... I've never missed while sitting at my desk. Maybe I'll just hunt from my keyboard from now on.

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
These guys are professional hunters and are good with their rifles. Anyone can have a bad day, and this may have been theirs. The only thing you can say is, thank God no one got hurt...besides the elephant lol. I know that we all dream of the one shot kill and try to do things as humanely as possible, but when it comes to elephant, I think that as long as the elephant is recovered and no one gets hurt you had a good day lol.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take it back, those first shots were certainly adequate as it did what was asked - it put that elephant down and gave them more time to finish it.Were they lucky though?Would a 300 grainer have dropped it with a shot placement like that?

I'm certainly not trying to bash either hunter for they both had the balls to stand.(I have some respect for the cameraman also as he was steady as a rock Smiler)Earlier in the show they stated that only a brain hit could stop a charging elephant.

It was a good show though.And now I'm off to my free breakfast at the Holiday Inn where I overnighted. Wink

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Get Wild with the hotty and the 470... Did anyone else notice that on two diffrent hunts her rifle failed to fire? Twice the second barrel didn't fire. It could have been opporator error I don't know. But I do know that she fumbled with it, opening it up and checking the bullets, etc... Once on the water buff and the second time was on the "wild cow",chit I can't remember its real name... both hunts were in Austraila... Niether time was she in any danger, and the PH had a rifle, but if I paid that kind of money for a rifle and it wasn't any better than a... gasp... Ruger No. 1. I'd be on the horn chewing some ones azz out!

I know its probably just that one rifle, but I can now sleep at night knowing that I don't need a double rifle that bad... I'll stick with a bolt gun and call it good. Smiler

Its cool to see a hotty toating big azz rifles around though... even cooler to see her shoot stuff with em!

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Comments on the Elephant hunt...I think the show did a great job on the elephant hunt. It was an accurate representation of hunting Jumbo in africa. As to the shooting, yes the initial shots were a little off but it was a charge! The bull was put on the ground and the hunter lived...I consider it a success.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Today (Friday) at 3:30pm Eastern Time - Cape Buffalo hunt in Tanzania

Saturday 7:30am Eastern Time - Ele in Zim

Saturday 11:30am Eastern Time - Namibia safari

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
If you like dangerous game, ck out getting wild with cindy, she shoots a 470 double, and has taken water buff,hippo and croc,and bongo.
its on espn on sunday am.
JD

I'd like to get wild with Cindy, she's damn sure a catch. She would be an expensive girlfriend though. Twice the trophy fees, daily rate, and airfare, and taxidermy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I thought it was an excellent show, well written and got a good message across that sport hunting is the ONLY survival mechanism that works in animal preservation. As to their aim, well, it was off, and I was surprised the PH missed the brain also, but I wasn't in their shoes. Overall I enjoyed the program very much. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I was also impressed that they showed a replay and admitted that their shots were off a bit, showing where they hit then showing where the ideal placement is. No stupid excused were given....hats off to the producer!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked it too. The elephant charged suddenly, they made a good call on shooting and were shooting at a small moving target. It makes me appreciate the greats like Bell more who used a medium bore but had incredible shot placement.

Amazing how fast it decided to charge. I kept it on my D.V.R. so I could show it to my stepfather.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote with the crowd that enjoyed the show.As for the less than stellar shot placement,the hunter was punished because the PH had to assist.The punishment was just and not too sincere because he survived to try again another day.Also the elephant died.Gross assessment-mission accomplished.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
Speaking of Get Wild with the hotty and the 470... Did anyone else notice that on two diffrent hunts her rifle failed to fire? Twice the second barrel didn't fire. It could have been opporator error I don't know. But I do know that she fumbled with it, opening it up and checking the bullets, etc... Once on the water buff and the second time was on the "wild cow",chit I can't remember its real name... both hunts were in Austraila... Niether time was she in any danger, and the PH had a rifle, but if I paid that kind of money for a rifle and it wasn't any better than a... gasp... Ruger No. 1. I'd be on the horn chewing some ones azz out!

I know its probably just that one rifle, but I can now sleep at night knowing that I don't need a double rifle that bad... I'll stick with a bolt gun and call it good. Smiler

Its cool to see a hotty toating big azz rifles around though... even cooler to see her shoot stuff with em!

Isn't the wild cow you speak of a Banteng?
Just curious. We see Cindy here in South Africa on ESPN as well, she's hot! thumb

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farktoof:

Glad to see you "took it back", but, yes, you were wrong. That situation, like combat shooting, is a situation where if it has to explained to you, you probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, the thing that did bother me was the scout/assistant taking a shot as well. Maybe it was necessary, but it would have irritated me. Of course until watching the footage later I probably wouldn't have known.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for this show to repeat but have been unable to see it again. I saw only a portion of it once. It had a dedication at the end to Carl Bradfield (killed by an elephant earlier this year) at the end and I would like to get a copy of the the show if possible. I hunted with Carl for elephant and buffalo in September 2004.

Thanks
Randy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy:

Check out http://www.olntv.com I believe they have the upcoming schedule of shows on the site.

Might take a little searching. I think you start under"Field Sports" or something similar.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote