THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Revised Elephant hunting information

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Revised Elephant hunting information
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
James,

Thank you for those kind words, it was a pleasure to hunt with such a great guy and such a dedicated hunter......and I honestly do look forward to hunting with you again.

I should add that the original idea of the travelling safari came from James, (and I thank him for it!) it already seems very popular with some of our clients.

Dave,

2005 Mozambican prices are still being worked out, but I don't expect any significant price increases. 2004 prices for a Mozambican Elephant hunt work out at US$9950 for a 7 day Elephant hunt including the trophy fee on the first Elephant Bull. Additional Elephant Bulls are a further US$4000 each..........there are NO hidden extras whatsoever and if you book with us, you will get a detailed safari contract and our full safari planning service as part of the deal.

The bad news is that the trophies are non-exportable to the USA. (this is due to the US F&WS) which is why we sell the hunt as a PAC hunt rather than a trophy hunt. The largest taken in 04 was 76lbs per side, and there are much larger in the area. You can also hunt other game during the hunt and Hippo and Croc are especially good in this area, however the Buff are incredibly spooky.....They're not impossible, but they are very tough hunting. Interestingly, the area also holds big populations of Roan, which until now have not been hunted, however we have asked for a quota of 10 for the 2005 season.....so please wish us luck!

I hope Saeed won't be offended when I say we make it a general policy not to hunt cow Elephants, tuskless or otherwise, as I personally believe the taking of a cow out of a herd causes far too much damage to the herd dynamics to be allowable. That's my personal opinion, but as I'm the boss of the company, I can make the rules. .......that's not meant as a criticism of anyone who does hunt cows, it's just my personal opinion of herd dynamics.

Please feel free to e-mail me for further details if you're interested.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
DD - I did an on-line web album of a hunt that I did earlier this year (April) in Zim w/Buzz Charlton. You'll need a DSL or CATV connection, but it will give you a good idea of what an early season Tuskless Elephant hunt is like.

Web Album

Here's two video clips that are still up, although the initial connection might be a bit sluggish:

Ele #1

Ele #2

Buzz Charlton Webpage

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cows are more fun.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I'm not suggesting cows are not exciting to hunt......they are. They're also a less expensive option. Nor am I suggesting it's wrong for people to hunt them. Far be it from me to comment on how or where anyone hunts. Hell, it's your money and you can spend it any way you see fit........it's just that I personally believe the removal of a cow from a herd causes lots of upset in the herd dynamics and it should only be done for very good reason and then only very occasionally.

so my personal opinion dictates to me (and no-body else) that my company only usually offers the sport hunting of Bulls.

Other companies can do what they like and good luck to them.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I personally feel that the removal of the "Tuskless" cows from the herd constitutes a good reason. I'm not sure if I would hunt cows otherwise, but I don't begrudge others doing so. Just my opinion.

There were a surprising number of tuskless in the Lower Lupande Valley in Zambia (in addition to Zim), and I'd bet the percentage are growing in proportion. They are not shooting them there, and I wonder what the herd will look like in 20 or 50 years. Genetics or adaptation I don't know. But I can't recall seeing many (any?) in two trips to the Chobe region (Caprivi/Botswana).

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have recently returned from a Safari with Kuduland. The owner Steve Robinson post here and has some very good deals on elephant in Mozambique. I belive this will be my next hunt I know last year they were around 10k US for a 7 day and they have a hunt with two elephant for the added trophy fee only, you will of course have to verify prices with Kuduland and they may change for 05 but I belive this a very good price, lower day rates then other places in Africa they hunt and very low trophy fees of course the catch is no export but if you want the hunt rather then the ivory its a inexpensive way to go.

I will very likely book one of these hunts for next year myself as the prices will most likely go up in the coming years with CITES changes and I want to hunt them while you still can afford it. I have been warned Mozambique is rough hunting though but for me thats fine, I am think of doing the mobile safari option sounds like fun.

For my impressions on Steve, Susan and there company I have a report in the hunt reports section about my trip last month with them, you can buy with confidence from this outfit no hidden cost here. I am sure Steve will step in and give more accurate and complete information.

James F. Nixon III

Posts: 39 | Location: North GA. | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Dave,

You can have a tuskless cow hunt in Zimbabwe for relatively little money, compared with an elephant bull.

Some of these cows can actually make the hunt more ineteresting.

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote