Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzanian animals arrived but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
All trophies back,but someone walked off with my giant leopard skull. Left me with a leopard skull That is anatomically incorrect. The upper and lower jaw do not come together and teeth do not match. They pieced parts of skulls together
There is a hole where front teeth should touch.
Cutting teeth in back of mouth do not touch.
Have a pic of mouth showing teeth all lined up correctly.
Had an official SCI measurer measure both skulls and the replacement was 15 &1/16th bigger then 06 leopard.
Have notified Pierre (PH)of problem
So someone has got a whopper of a leopard skull but not me.
BwanaMick need email address of game department and anyone who could help.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm VERY sorry to hear of your loss!

Darn Eeker

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Mike. Good luck.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I hope you got the correct cape back. A friend of mine shot a lion some years back, got a totally different lion sent to him. Very disappointing.

Good luck, hope it get's all sorted out.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mike: I am so sorry to hear of that. Hopefully Pierre will get it sorted out for you!

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Mike: I am so sorry to hear of that. Hopefully Pierre will get it sorted out for you!

Ditto

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it Mike. Hope it works out. I would hate to think you might have to go back and get another leopard. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike. Seems like with every shippment there's some issue, it's just a matter of what particular issue it's going to be. Makes me less and less enthused to bring trophies home. Unfortunately, a guy really can't leave a giant leopard there voluntarily.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that Mike, I sure hope it all gets straightened out.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Sorry Mike. Seems like with every shippment there's some issue, it's just a matter of what particular issue it's going to be. Makes me less and less enthused to bring trophies home. Unfortunately, a guy really can't leave a giant leopard there voluntarily.

Very true statement. If the shipping agent does not screw up the taxidermist does. Damn Shame
Sorry about you leopard. I am missing my skull as well but it we not as big as yours

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
That hurts. As I look at my leopard skull, I think of how pissed I would be if it had not made it home.

Good luck on getting this worked out.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry you got screwed, Mike, and hope it gets sorted out properly.

This is another example of why carrying a tape and taking field measurement with your PH is so important. I have done on over a dozen safaris and sometimes wonder how many safari hunters have trophies displayed in their homes that are not the ones they took. I estimate the number is at least 20%, based upon my personal experience and what I know of the safari business. There is $$$ to be made by substituting/cheating on trophy animals.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
All trophies back,but someone walked off with my giant leopard skull. Left me with a leopard skull That is anatomically incorrect. The upper and lower jaw do not come together and teeth do not match. They pieced parts of skulls together
There is a hole where front teeth should touch.
Cutting teeth in back of mouth do not touch.
Have a pic of mouth showing teeth all lined up correctly.
Had an official SCI measurer measure both skulls and the replacement was 15 &1/16th bigger then 06 leopard.
Have notified Pierre (PH)of problem
So someone has got a whopper of a leopard skull but not me.
BwanaMick need email address of game department and anyone who could help.

Mike

Retreever:

This mix up is the result of negligence by either the skinner (unlikely) or during the dis-infestation process (more than likely) where a number of skulls are being handled at one time.
Horned skulls are almost never with the jawbone unless specifically requested by the client whereas all cats and other carnivores come complete with the lower mandible.
IMO the lower jaw to your Leopard skull got substituted with someone else's during the dipping process My suggestion is to contact your PH/outfitter and ask him to try and locate the correct one from his other clients who shot a Leopard - given the quota they can't be that many.
I know, it won't be easy, not everyone pays attention to their trophies as you do, but its a shot in the dark

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Mega Bummer!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Bummer Mike. Sorry to hear about the skull. Now...how about some pics of the new trophies at the house.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
WOW! Sorry to hear this Mike. I hope someone can right the wrong from Tanzania....DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I am so sorry this happened. I'm sure with Pierre on your side, he will be able to work back and make it right.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumbdown

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote