Notify
Tools

trophy transport...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 29 days I head back to Africa.

Assume:

I get my hyena on the first or second day. We run the hide, etc, over to Trophex for the taxidermy work. I have them boil the skull long enough to completely evacuate the brains, and integument.

Is there going to be an issue bringing it back with me when I leave?

Obviously, I would love to have it now, instead of next year this time.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have done just what you describe when I hunted Namibia around the turn of the century(well, it was 2001...)

I had no problems here in the states. Fish and wildlife and customs checked my export permits and I was good to go.

Getting the export permits might be a problem. It really depends on the country/area and outfitter.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have proper documentation for a hyena skull they may think it's something else. Last year at DFW customs a guy brought through a giraffe leg bone. They grilled him a bit and then let it go. They also had us take off our shoes since that was what we hunted in and cleaned them for us; great service. But they took so long looking through everything that I missed my flight home and had to get a later one.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Do not cut corners, nor assume hyena and good luck on this very worthy trophy.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9898 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Rich
I have had numerous European hunters wanting to do this and the logistics are crazy. The export permits the vet check and the treatment process is very tight for 10-14days.
An I believe USFW are being full of crap again, you dont want to loose that scull.
Any decentSouth African Dip and pack should have that on its way in 3-4 months MAX.
good luck on the Safari

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't believe that i would try it. all you'd need is one bureaucrat to screw things up

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i don't believe that i would try it. all you'd need is one bureaucrat to screw things up

That is, well, nonsense....

Carrying a trophy home as checked baggage(with the correct permits), is no different than having it shipped home(with the correct permits).

The USF&W agents that come to customs to check your trophies/paperwork are the same ones that would be checking your trophies if they were shipped in as cargo.

If your paperwork is not in order your stuff will not be allowed in regardless of how they are brought here to the US.

By carrying your trophies home you are not inviting any more bureaucrats into the mix than those that be there if the trophies were shipped in. When I carried my stuff home(twice) I asked the USF&W agents if they would prefer that the trophies had been shipped in. They said that it didn't make any difference as it was the same amount of work either.

In fact, on one trip through I was told that they liked having me there as they could ask me to clarify things that were unclear in the export paperwork.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:

That is, well, nonsense....

Carrying a trophy home as checked baggage(with the correct permits), is no different than having it shipped home(with the correct permits).

The USF&W agents that come to customs to check your trophies/paperwork are the same ones that would be checking your trophies if they were shipped in as cargo.

If your paperwork is not in order your stuff will not be allowed in regardless of how they are brought here to the US.

By carrying your trophies home you are not inviting any more bureaucrats into the mix than those that be there if the trophies were shipped in. When I carried my stuff home(twice) I asked the USF&W agents if they would prefer that the trophies had been shipped in. They said that it didn't make any difference as it was the same amount of work either.

In fact, on one trip through I was told that they liked having me there as they could ask me to clarify things that were unclear in the export paperwork.

Agree with Jason here. I've brought items back with me as baggage twice from Russia. Bear skin and claws in checked baggage and bear skull in carry-on bag. USFWS looked over my paperwork and the trophies and sent me on my way in about 5 minutes both times. It's very easy if you have your paperwork sorted out correctly. Getting that paperwork sorted on a Hyena in such a short time might be the only problem here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will never get the necessary permits in time Rich for the time you will be there

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote