THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anybody ever use the Speer African GS Solid on game?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody ever use the Speer African GS Solid on game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got lifetime supply (115) of these bullets in 500 grain, .458 I bought for my Lott. I'm not sure if I ever read any first hand accounts of their effect on game, however.

Anybody here ever use them on elephant or buffalo?

Just curious.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer African Grand Slam bullets with the tungsten carbide core are without a doubt the finest solids that I have ever used. I have used mine in my 416 Weatherby mag. First of all, they are by far the most accurate bullet that I have used in my 416.
I've used them to take one elephant, 3 buffalo and, a hippo. I have not been able to recover a single bullet because they penetrate so effectively.
Unfortunately, Speer no longer makes them. I talked to the a Speer representative at the SCI conventions a few years ago. He said they no longer make them because they were largely individually made by a machinist. The last time I purchased them, while they were still being offered new from the Speer factory, I had to pay $7 per bullet. But when I consider their performance, they are worth every penny of it.

Posts: 64 | Location: SoCal USA | Registered: 16 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I've got a lifetime supply of them in .458 that I bought on closeout from Midway about 12 years ago.

I always figured that with those and my 500-grain Swift A-Frames, I had all the dangerous game covered for my Lott.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good bullets but be careful when used on a side-on buffalo - they will invariably exit.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply the best solid ever made. Stop. Period.Exclamation.

If there is a down side ( I don't think there is) it is that they are too penetrative. You must be careful about what is on the other side of any animal you shoot with them.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
Good bullets but be careful when used on a side-on buffalo - they will invariably exit.

Lots of bullets exit on broadside shots on buffalo, not just solids.

One has to be careful when shooting in herds.

We have seen Swift A Frame in a buffalo we shot.

It did not penetrate very much, and we thought it must have been a pass through another one.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote