Notify
Tools

Re: Warne vs. Talley QDs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Rip
sending photos of bases to you via hotmail...feel free to put them on AR or if you are unable to do it let me know..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
When I looked at them at Reno some years back, they were very sleek and did not block the irons as the bases were very low indeed..that is what impressed me about them. The rings look like old style Redfields and I always liked their look...I'm tempted to try a pair of them and he guarentees return to exact zero every time.

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold all my Warnes some years back when a set got me in a jam with a Buffalo by letting recoil flop that spring tension lever around to block the uplift on my Mauser bolt...Went to Talleys and have never looked back...

I agree that all 6/48s should be 8/40s and don't consider that a mutalation, just another custom feature that works.

I have never used a Talbot system but I have looked at them and they sure are an interresting mounting system, albiet expensive...I will have to try them one of these days, they sure are slick looking...could you send me a contact number for them.

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Talley does make 30mm rings. I have a set of them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that is bad news on the cast steel quality of what Warne is using.

Even though the Talley has smaller recoil shoulder surface areas than the Warne, or Leupold QRW, the Talley is made of stouter stuff.

The Talley CZ QD rings have the levers on the ejection port side, however. Just like the Warne. That is a fact. But, whichever way the Talley lever is turned, it does not interfere with the operation of the bolt, it does not get in the way.

I have two sets of CZ Talley QD lever rings. I have been able to acquire them at the rate of one set per year. That is why I too have had to use the Leupold QRW's and Warne Maxima so much.

Even some of us USA residents find the Talley rings to be scarce as hens teeth. I hope I can continue to find the Talley's about one set per year, whether ordering them or getting lucky and finding them on the shelf.

I will henceforth tout the Talley's above all else, along with everyone else.

I have never had a Warne or QRW fail like that, and hope it was a "lemon" on that .458 Lott ... but sintered steel ain't good for a critical piece like the square recoil lug on the bottom of the ring.

Dang but it is tough to find the bases and rings you need when you want them. I also bought a set of Dakota '97 bases and QD lever rings by Talley, simply because they were there ...

But here is the rub: why doesn't Talley make his screw in 8x40 size?

Should one just epoxy the Talley bases on an M70 with the little 6x48's? It can seem like mutilation to ask your smith to drill out the Talley bases for bigger screws.

At least with the QRW's one doesn't mind routinely converting them to 8x40's.

I guess I will just use JB Weld and 6x48's on the Talley bases. Epoxy plus 6x48's ought to be at least as good as 8x40's alone, probably much better, and no mutilations.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote