Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Head Dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
I am making some life size targets for my upcoming big bore shoot and need the dimensions for an elephant head. Specifically how wide is the head. How wide from side of head to outside edge of ear. Height of head. Just good ball park numbers will help. Thanks

Link to shoot.....
http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/9361089471

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just take the family washing machine out in the yard & shoot it, they're about the same size.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but if I shoot it then wouldn't all of the water run out?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Big x big is appropriate... Big Grin! Seriously, I haven't a clue.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
All I know is that it is an optical illusion. When you look at it from the front at 25 yards it looks big. When you try to shoot it from the front at 25 yards, it gets small.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I know is that it is an optical illusion. When you look at it from the front at 25 yards it looks big. When you try to shoot it from the front at 25 yards, it gets small.

yuck

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from the front- 5' by 6' . Brain 6x6"

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
If you can hit a 9" pie plate with accuracy you will kill an elephant.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a previous post on this subject some time back by R.Jolly on a vinyl life size target he had made up at a local copier shop

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Top of head around the top of a basketball banking board.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea Ann, but that pie plate won't stomp the crap put of you if you screw it up.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Ann,

If you can't do better than a 9" group you better not try brain shots. Better to stick with heart/lung shots.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ann is right

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
There was a previous post on this subject some time back by R.Jolly on a vinyl life size target he had made up at a local copier shop

Copyied this off of the post above hopefully R.Jolly will chime in....

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's about the same size as a politician running for office, but the brain cavity is much larger

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture featured above is of a target I had made for practice before my first ele hunt.
I found a good image and then had it printed on a tough yinyl fabric. The plan was to reproduce as near as possible to the real thing. Practicing to brain an elephant with a black dot on a piece of paper three feet off the ground seemed a waste of time to me and several elephants later I am now even more convinced.
With a frontal shot as shown, the head is approx 3 feet wide and each ear the same, making the overall ear tip to ear tip 9 feet.
The target has a thin piece of timber accross the top and bottom for rigidity and it is raised up so that the eye level of the ele is approx 9 feet off the floor.
It is also worth part hiding the target in brush as quite often eles will appear by sticking their head either over or through a bush and you dont have a clear target. This sometimes confuses hunters on the spare of the moment so you may as well practice for it.
For a side brain picture use the width of the ear at 3 feet as a guide of scale.
Study the shot placement section of Buzz Charlton's Elephant Hunting video and practice free hand at 30yds and you wont go far wrong. My first bull was at 10 yards and the next two at 20 and 27.
These measurements are of course for a bull with cows being smaller by approx 30%.
It's quite funny to see the above photograph again as the person featured is a game keeper friend of mine who completed his first Zim hunt with me last week.
He is already hooked and saving for the next one.
Good luck with the practice. I guarantee that you will enjoy it a lot more than paper bulls eyes.
Oh - and dont forget to use the biggest gun that you can consistently use accurately.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote