THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man who fought off leopard with bare hands arrested for poaching

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man who fought off leopard with bare hands arrested for poaching
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.zimlive.com/2020/0...rested-for-poaching/

Man who fought off leopard with bare hands arrested for poaching

'I realised that if I don’t do something, the animal would kill me'

BY SIPHO MABUZA
10:37, 26 JAN 2020
NEWS

BULAWAYO – A man fought off a leopard, he says after choking it with his bare hands.

Abednigo Moyo of Halale Village in Matobo was harvesting amacimbi (mopane worms) at Gumela Farm when he says his dogs disappeared into a thicket and started barking.

When he went to investigate the source of the disturbance, he says the leopard launched at him leading to a tense three-minute battle which would end with the animal dead.

Moyo and his brother, Isaac, have been charged with poaching after the latter, who raced to the scene after hearing his brother screaming, killed the animal with an axe.

They were released on $300 bail each by a Plumtree court last week.

Moyo denies that he was hunting. Instead, he says he and his brother left home to go and harvest amacimbi, a seasonal delicacy found mostly in Matabeleland South.

Along the way, he said they split with Isaac, who was harvesting another patch with his wife.

His dogs left him temporarily and started barking nearby, and he went to investigate.

“Before I could see what was happening, a leopard emerged charging towards me. I tried to run but it was too late. It jumped on me. At that moment, I was just trying to survive and I found some strength I never knew I had,” Moyo, who is a caretaker at Whitewater High School, told The Sunday News.

“I grabbed it by the neck to stop it from biting me. I realised that if I don’t do something, the animal would kill me. It was either I die fighting or I get mauled,” he said.

When the leopard opened its mouth in an aggressive posture, he says he shoved his right hand into its mouth and grabbed its windpipe.

“It was painful because at the same time, the leopard was biting my hand but I was choking it from inside while the other hand was fending off its claws. I was screaming at the same time. The struggle went on for a minute or two and I could see the animal was also losing power from the choke,” he said.

Isaac arrived moments later and struck the animal with an axe, killing it instantly.

The two men left the animal where it died and Moyo was rushed to Natisa Clinic where he received treatment.

Game rangers later made a follow up and arrested the two men, accusing them of poaching.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit fishy top me!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a load of BS- at least they were arrested. We had the same story where some villagers were taking their dogs for a " Sunday walk" when 20 km away from home the dogs were attacked by the leopard. The Villager went to the aid of his dogs and killed the leopard and in the process got mauled.

DAPU followed up and arrested him and $1000 later by the time we get him to court he is let off as he was acting " in self defence". We were then ordered to take him home!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
...kinda hard to grab a windpipe from inside the windpipe...just sayin'

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZimLive is just a tabloid, and this is only one side of the story. Let the magistrate work it out.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds so much like would happen
here with the Dems and anti's.
Don't matter why, gotta arrest him.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
George

yup. He did nothing wrong! It was a perfect walk to collect perfect worms.

One dog was called Rudi and the other was called Lev! His brother's name was Bolton. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Sounds so much like would happen
here with the Dems and anti's.
Don't matter why, gotta arrest him.

George

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote