Find
Notify
Tools

Jess / Thornbush Hunting Coats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Folks,

I would appreciate your input as to what hunting coat to consider for a cool season (August in Masailand) hunting coat. The area I will be hunting is known for pretty dense thornbush / Jess. I have seen posts in the past recommending Carhart / Filson / oilcloth. Was looking for something that holds up against thorn, warm enough for a.m, and is relatively quiet for stalking. Thoughts? Thanks.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh W,

Filson may have something but I can promise you that Carhart's and oilcloth will be noisy as heck. I'm wearing one of those fleece type jackets with the wind stop layer. Some of the burrs etc. stick to it but it is dead quiet. I hunted Masialand in August and actually never left the truck with my jacket on. It warms up quickly in the AM and cools quickly in the evening. You'll definitely need a good jacket for riding in the back of the truck.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never experienced a cool day in the Masai...but then I'm from Idaho, thats next to the North Pole btw....

I would prefer a light sweater/fleece and a typical hunting vest with no pockets on the buttstock side....I have no problem in the Jesse with just a T-shirt, I just feel my way in and out..canvass makes way too much noice for me and that scratching noise really ticks the PHs off...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Filson plant is about four miles from my house, but I've nearly given up on them for hunting. Few things are more durable, but most Filson clothing is heavy and loud. Having said that, they make a couple of things in shelter cloth that might work for you. See if you can find a store that carries Filson near you so you can look at the different fabrics. For a slight upcharge, Filson will make an existing pattern out of a non-standard material. I've had them do it. Just be sure you know exactly what you want if you go that route. Hope this helps, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard