Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted
I just got home from South Africa today and one of the best experiences I had was the darting of a Rhino. I also gave it the shot to stand again.

Here is a photo, more photos and stories will follow.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Very nice rhino! I am glad to see that you darted. What part Of R.S.A. was this?

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Christer! How exciting! I was wondering if anyone else may have noticed the slight resemblance between hunter and prey? jump

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. I look forward to more pictures and stories.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
That must have been a Rush!!!!!

That is the only way to hunt rhino!

I hope I can experience that same rush some day.

Will you have a fiberglass trophy made?? I hear they take all the measurements for you while he is down.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Welcome back home Christer! I am as sober as a judge, as the saying goes, but I still think I see two rhinos in that picture... Big Grin

Congratulations, he is a real beauty (the one in front that is)! thumb

Regards,
Martin Cool

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Christer! What a trip! I look forward to more pics and your story very much. Beautiful animal, by the way.

Is it me, or does that look like a Handi-rifle dart gun??

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Looks like a miniature rhino next to you Christer!!!

Congrats on your experience. I bet it was a real hoot!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bra gjort---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Big Viking and his trusty steed? thumb

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice animal, what a brute!
By the way, how long does it take for the sedative to take effect?

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Christer,congratulations on your new pet! Wink how come they don't use a double barrel S/S dart gun? Big Grin

What guage was this dart gun, and is it a regular shotgun, or a speciality chambered item?

That is a nice bull. How long was he out, and how long before he was on his feet and mobile, again, and were any vetrenary treatments administered while he was down?

The reason for all these question is, I've been thinking about doing one of these, and I want to build a double for the darts, with quarter rib, and express sights! Finally, who did you do this hunt with, and did they take a lot of measurements, and pictures from all angles for the fibergalss mount ?
Confused Confused Confused beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your comments, here are some facts about the darting!

It took place outside Ellisras in Limpopo Provinvce, South Africa the 2:nd of september in the afternoon.

Outfitter was Tracks in Africa.

We started the hunt by foot and was about ten to feften yards away from him a couple of times but never got the right angle to shoot ( You need 90 degrees angle otherwise the dart will deflect).

Since we also had the need to datr this specific Rhino because he needed treatment to his eyse we decided after some time when we were not able to come close to hime without branches to dart him from the bakkie.

We had him close and comming to us but not the direct angle so the last chance before they needed to use a chopper was from behind and the warning I had was that dont hit the tail. As he was walkink, tail swinging and I was nerwous I hit dead center of the tail and we could only wait some minutes to see what would happen.

Five minutes later he started to slow down and lift his feets and then the vet ran took his tail and pulled him backwards before the trackers came with ropes. five minutes later I was able to approach and we could start take pictures and measurements, longest horn 28 inches, then after another five minutes when his eyes were treated I could give hime the shot to wake up again.

I will now make a piedestal mount in fibreglass to look about as below.

The hun was a (i think) 32 gauge shotgun which was the same size as the dart and behind that an adapter for .22 ammunition was used, ammo chosen after distance. So making a s/s would definently work.

I hope this gave answers to the most questions.

The full darting procedure will be a part of the DVD production Tracks in Africa that will be released next year, cameraman is Frederik Cocquyt.

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Some more pictures

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Christer, that was exactly the things I needed to know! Again, congratulations!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures!! When I saw how big you are I was expecting a picture of you with the rhino thrown over your shoulder carrying him to the truck like Walter did with his impala. Big Grin

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Lhook7

The Vets main concern was the healt of the Rhino so when I asked if it was ok to carry it he refused due to the risk of giving the animal a chock Razzer

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
OK here is some more info.
Seen on the first photo clearly is the white stuff around the Rhino's eye that gentleman and ladies is the Antibiotics that the vet gave the rhino to fix the infection in his eye.

Then the dart gun was super and with the adapter and a .22 blank worked wonders. Interestingly as well the dart gun is grooved as well. and quite accurate up to 45 yards from there the dart drops very quickly.

The amount of drugs that were used for the rhino would not have knocked out a blue wildebeest.

As we started tyhe stalk the wind started to swirl in all directions we could have shot him in the hindquarters but we hoped at first to try upper neck arae which the Vet said he favoured. After failed stalking and the rhino being the no.1 priority the Vet said we should try from the vehicle. Even then it was difficult to get the right angle and the rhino being close enough.

On the shot all one could hear from the PH OUtfitter was "F#CK youve hit the tail !!" This could have turned out bad as we didn't know if the dart worked or not usually on a shot like that the dart detonates before entering the skin and you can see the drugs spray but it didn't so there was hope. Then if it did wqork how much did go in ??? Double dose could kill the Rhino if the antitode is not given quickly which would have meant no time for photos or poses. Luckily after a few minutes he picked up his legs and teh Vet reasurred us that all was well.

What an experience to hold live rhino bull like that and not just anyone as well but quite a monster let me reassure you he was big but with Christer in the frame it doens't look like it. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 210 lbs.

What a great experience it was.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote