one of us
posted
Wow! That was fun.

Here's some pics for you

My wife Kim, me and a nice Impala

Simon the tracker, and Steenbuck

Warthog.....Right between the eyes

Kim with a nice Gemsbuck cow that I just couldn't resist

Kim, Kudu, and me. Kim is wearing a shirt with the logo of Sutter Amador Hospital, where she works. Every year the hospital gives a prize for the person who travels the farthest, and a prize forthe person who goes to the most exotic destination, and takes a pic while wearing the shirt. And the Winner is........ thumb

More to come later

Regards

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Those are excellent pictures. It looks like you had a great trip.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Nice pics...great that your wife enjoys hunting with you.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies....Congrats!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Elmo & wife Kim

Wow those are nice pics and nice trophies as well which you got

Looks pretty dry the bush, where exactly were you in Limpopo hunting !!

Regards, Peter

Balla-Balla Safaris ( 100km south from Beit Bridge )

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

It is very dry indeed through out the region.
We hunted six different concessions in seven days.

The gemsbuck came from just south of Alldays where it was so dry, the concession owner has had to resort to putting out supplemental feed and might have to start culling before the end of the season.
The owner had let it be known that shooting a cow would be appreciated and I sure didn't mind as it will make a beautiful trophy. The brush was thin and open. The animals were spooky and tough to get close to. That cow was shot at 170 meters and it took a while to get that close.

The Kudu was near Groblersbrug. We hunted there on the third( got the warthog there) and seventh day of the hunt. I passed on a texas heart shot on the third day,

(The PH's eyes rolled back in head like a slot machine Roll Eyes)

and got a better bull on the seventh day. It was my last animal of the hunt.

Impala and Steenbuck were near Swartwater

I got a Duiker to the east and slightly north of the Venetia Diamond mine in the beautiful mopane forrest there.

Regards

Elmo

one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Looks like you had fun!

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
Peter

It is very dry indeed through out the region.
We hunted six different concessions in seven days.

The gemsbuck came from just south of Alldays where it was so dry, the concession owner has had to resort to putting out supplemental feed and might have to start culling before the end of the season.
The owner had let it be known that shooting a cow would be appreciated and I sure didn't mind as it will make a beautiful trophy. The brush was thin and open. The animals were spooky and tough to get close to. That cow was shot at 170 meters and it took a while to get that close.

The Kudu was near Groblersbrug. We hunted there on the third( got the warthog there) and seventh day of the hunt. I passed on a texas heart shot on the third day,

(The PH's eyes rolled back in head like a slot machine Roll Eyes)

and got a better bull on the seventh day. It was my last animal of the hunt.

Impala and Steenbuck were near Swartwater

I got a Duiker to the east and slightly north of the Venetia Diamond mine in the beautiful mopane forrest there.

Regards

Elmo

Elmo

That is interesting. We are an hour or so from Alldays in Soutpansbery Mountains, and other ranch is an hour north of Pietersdburg

Tell me did you vist the Venetia diamond mine at all, they tell me it is worth a look in if in the region

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunt good memories.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Elmo,

Great pics!

My wife goes with me on safari too and truly loves it. We are lucky men, I think!

Congrats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice animals! Smiler

Is that a 376 Steyr? Nice gun. How do you like it?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo,

Greaqt pics. Glad you had a good time ... they'll be wonderful memories!

They'll also both trigger and quell post safari depression Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Kim and Elmo, great photos... Kim you know you will be going back...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

We tried to visit the diamond mine, but they took one look at my shifty eyes and the size of my pockets and said, "No way Jose, we got rules that keep your kind outta here! Big Grin

Big Guy
I've been a member of the Super Secret Way Cool Steyr Owner's Club for a long time now. I can't think of a better thorn bush gun than this one. The PH liked it so much, he borrowed it to shoot a bush pig. 300 grn Partition at 2380 fps

Elmo

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, my wife finally joined me this year as well. Out of all of my safaris to Africa this was indeed the nicest having her along. We went with another couple and all of us shot game. (My wife a giraffe, that being the very first animal that she has ever shot, and the first time that she had ever fired a big game rifle.) For those who haven't taken their spouses you ought to try it sooner than later. You'd be surprised how much fun they (and you) have.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
elmo,
That's is a FANTASTIC kudu !!!
Thick horns, worn tips ....how long is he??
Beatiful animal.
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Elmo! Looks like you had a great time. Glad to hear you are still a member in good standing of the club. I have to admit that little Steyr makes about the best bush gun I have. I wish I would have bought a copuple more when they were so cheap. Oh well. Nice animals my friend. Now all you have to do is hide the taxidermy bill from Kim. LOL!!!!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures. That's a great gemsbuck.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well done Elmo and Kim!

~Ann

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
Peter

We tried to visit the diamond mine, but they took one look at my shifty eyes and the size of my pockets and said, "No way Jose, we got rules that keep your kind outta here! Big Grin

Big Guy
I've been a member of the Super Secret Way Cool Steyr Owner's Club for a long time now. I can't think of a better thorn bush gun than this one. The PH liked it so much, he borrowed it to shoot a bush pig. 300 grn Partition at 2380 fps

Elmo

One day I wanna join that club! Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great! Beautiful trophy-photo of the steenbok! And I liked that kudu as well!!
Thanks for sharing!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Anders

I like that pic a lot better than this one. That Fly must have mistaken me for something else. bewildered

Lorenzo

We didn't put a tape on any of the animals but the PH guessed that kudu at between 53 and 54". He was the old man of the forest and had the scars to prove it. I'm very pleased with him indeed.

Elmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures. What camera was it?

Nice memories are coming back. It was 30 km north of Alldays, in 1986, where I had passed my PH exams on a farm which was called Evangelina.

HUNTING ONE HOUR FROM CAPE TOWN
http://www.kapstadt.de/lemberg

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife a giraffe, that being the very first animal that she has ever shot,

Forgive me for being an ignoramus and I certainly don't intend any offence.But, what sport is there in shooting a Giraffe and what is done with it once it is shot? Once again, I don't mean any offence.Regards-

Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
elmo,

Great pictures and thanks for sharing your hunt with us. That is really a wonderful impala for that area or anywhere for that matter. Leave in 26 days for that area. I hope I can see an impala like yours! Very nice trophies

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well done Elmo not bad for one of us California Guys...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As to Robin of Locksley my wife's giraffe was an old bull that needed removal from the herd. His carcass was used to feed many people as well as animals at the local wildlife rehab center. Of course, the hide, feet, tail, and head will all be mounted and placed in our home along with our other African trophies. Check out our pictures and story under African Hunting Reports.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Thanks for the reply.I was genuinely curious.Glad that you didn't take offence.Shall checkout your pics.Regards-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote