THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best bullet for Leopard out of a 416?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet for Leopard out of a 416?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Need recommendations as to best bullet for Leopard out of my Rem 416. Realize that the 416 may be a bit much for the cat but will be using for C Buff and am trying to avoid taking additional rifles. Soooo-- have received recommendations as to utilizing bullets by Woodleigh (SN), Nosler (Partition) and or Hornaday (SN). Will be using the tried and true Swift bullets on the Cape Buff but feel that these buggers have the potential of sailing right through without much effect. Thanks
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A bullet as relatively hard as the A-Frame is not needed on leopard, but it should expand to some extent and do the job, I think. Especially in the .416.

I used a hard bullet in my .375 to good effect on my leopard. A Hirtenberger ABC bullet low through the shoulders killed him before he hit the ground.

So, if I were you, since you'll be using the Swift on buff anyway, I would stick with it for the leopard and keep things simple.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I second to what MT said. No need to complicate your life with different bullets. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
A .370gr NorthFork worked well for me on a one-gun-one-load leopard/buffalo hunt - but frankly, most anything from a .416 is just going to zip through the leopard on a side shot. Shot placement + the shock is key, use whatever shoots well and you believe in. As MR & Jorge said, keep it simple, and use the AFrame for all.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Nosler Partitions in my 416 Rigby for cats and it works fine. I was fortunate that the point of impact was the same as the Swifts. They are probably going to make you zero your gun for the range from your leopard blind so what's the big deal carrying hand full of leopard loads. I think they would work fine for buffalo as well. If you're herd hunting, they may just be better than the Swifts.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I found that the 350 grn Swift A Frame in my 416 did an adequate job on Impala. While it did pass through, it did make an good exit wound.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAVE NO FEAR I'AM HERE! I recommend you get the TSX bullet and move on.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Need recommendations as to best bullet for Leopard out of my Rem 416. Realize that the 416 may be a bit much for the cat but will be using for C Buff and am trying to avoid taking additional rifles. Soooo-- have received recommendations as to utilizing bullets by Woodleigh (SN), Nosler (Partition) and or Hornaday (SN). Will be using the tried and true Swift bullets on the Cape Buff but feel that these buggers have the potential of sailing right through without much effect. Thanks
G

Use whatever bullet you like for buffalo, as long as it is a premium type.

This will do very nicely for leoprad as well.

I have used Barnes X and our own Walterhogs, which do sail right through leoprads - but they leave the leopard stone dead in his tracks as well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure whether a Swift from a 416 will kill a leopard or not. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that you are taking a gun which guarantees you good results no matter what the bullet, so long as shot placement is in a vital area.

One thing I like to do is to use the 350 grain bullets in my .416 Rem. That way I can reach out for long range plains game and still be assured of major destructive power for dangerous game. I also like to take a bullet which will expand fast, and yet I also like to take other bullets for maximum penetration. To do this and keep the same point-of-aim for both I might select the Barnes Triple Shock X bullet (engineered for accuracy and fast expansion) for the leopard and plains game. I might also take along the 350 grain Barnes banded solid. That way I can depend on same-point-of-impact in an indestructable, solid, deep penetrating bullet for buffalo, etc.

By the way, my opinion is that the Triple shock bullet expands much faster than the regular Barnes-X. There may even be some sacrifice in bullet toughness in the trade-off. For that reason you may find that at high bullet speeds and close-in shots occasionally you lose a little more bullet weight on impact with the TSX, but I do not think that will alter the final results.

Basically you are trying to make two guns out of one. With the .416 I believe you can certainly do that. It is extremely versitile. In my opinion it completely eclipses the .375.

In general, I recommend banded bullets, especially in barrels which are old or slightly over-bore. The improvement in accuracy is remarkable.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote