New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug Tamer jacket while on Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used the bugtamer brand jacket in Africa? Was wondering how it would be, mostly concerned about it hanging up on everything. Just 7 weeks and counting.

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wore mine in Tanzania, but only while we were in the car. It stops mosquitoes, but the @#$% tsetse flies can still bite through it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Mims (AKA Harry on this forum) has worn them while hunting in Africa. Maybe he'll chime in. I purchased one from Mims but have not yet worn it. Plan on testing it in Tanzania. Am surprised to hear from George that Tsetse flies can bite through it.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I wish I would have had one in the swamps in Moz. last fall. Tse wasn't so bad but those 500-600 mosquitoe bites I got in the swamp could have been lessened w/ a decent bug jacket/headnet. Next time.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always take mine. It saved my bacon more than once and esp. in TZ in 1992 where we were in the thick of them on the Inkululu River area.
I wear it during spring turkey season when every tick and nat seems to want to be where I am hunting.
I also wear it still hunting deer as I seem to blend right in to a cedar bush.
I find it a hell of a pc. of hunting gear.
Don't worry about all the snagging...I had that happen only once and that was while riding in the safari car. Damn near jerked me out of the car but the jacket finally ripped. That part was healed with duck tape until I got home. Now it is just a sewn up spot.
I find Shannon Bug Tamer products a damn good deal as I use and sell them both.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30ott6:
Am surprised to hear from George that Tsetse flies can bite through it.

John

You've never been in tsetse country? Horrible bloodsucking things, with a proboscis
much longer than that of a mosquito that they work into your skin like a post-hole digger! Eeker bawling

George

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wore my jacket on the jeep and in camp.Worked like a charm.Tsetses dont bite thru unless you put it under stress, eliminating the double layer.so wear a big one and wear it loose.
I survived because we had nothing else,no spray,cream or gook that would repel our local brand of flies.Bought the matching pants for this year - just in case.
Even if you dont need the gear,the flies shurely can make life a challenge or downright miserable.Take it along for insurance.Its well spent.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There ain't no magic bullet for the Tsetses..they thrive on Deet, and resist extreme amounts of punishment...It the truck I hunt them with a rubber band, sometimes they take up to 6 or 8 shots... nut

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you've been among them..there's no such thing as "Too much rubber band"

So use the biggest rubber band that you can handle. Big Grin

Here's a picture of Ray, still at full draw, 2/10ths of a second after a good high heart shot...

thumb

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote