New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo Mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for different ideas/pictures for a hippo mount. Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I had mine made into a coffee table. It looks like the hippo is coming up out of the floor and I had an oval piece of glass cut to lay on top of his head.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to decide exactly how to mount my hippo. Seems like it's pretty much limited to the floor mount of the hippo coming out of the water or the traditonal wall mount with the big open mouth. The coming out of the water mount can be real impressive, with water lilies, reeds, and acrylic water, but you gotta have the floor space. Most of the traditional wall mounts have the " I'm getting ready to swallow a watermellon look". Of course, the bleached skull mount always looks good, and the tusks look great on a plaque.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RB,
Thats easy, you kiss him then walk around behind him and mount him...old African PH trick...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42028 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RB

I'm really happy with my skull mount with the jaws pinned open. You get the idea of what the hippo really looked like and it's not very expensive. Jerry Huffaker posted a shoulder mount he did recently. Perhaps you should talk to him about a plan.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a hippo "life" mount that didn't look plastic and tacky.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post

Hippo foot ice buckets on the sides of the table

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of a shoulder mount we did.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
here's a photo of my Hippo skull. Something to think about instead of just tusks on a panel.

I'm doing the shoulder mount but it's in the works as we speak. I'll post a photo of the form being worked on..

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's the Hippo form being worked on. I took a regular wall shoulder form, added on to the back quite a bit, almost 2 feet, it's going to be a floor pedastal mount but I'm not doing the "water" thing. for three reasons, one- takes up way too much room, two- the water gets dusty too easy, and three- i wanted something different and impressive!

When I finally get it done I'll post a photo----------

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Now I like that skull-onna-stand! If I ever manage to get one . . . but it would have to be in the bush, not asleep in the river.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the post that most hippo mounts just don't look right. The best one I ever saw was the one Animal Artistry had at SCI a few years back, with half of the animal coming out of the water, but takes up a ton of floor space. Widowmaker looks like he is on the right track, but still taking up a good bit of floor space. I think the problem is there is just not many good hippo forms out there on the market, and half the mount is the mouth, and there is no really good mouth insert available. There is a lot of detail in the tongue and the mouth interior. Most taxidermist tend to show a lot more tooth than is really showing in a live hippo, several inches in most cases. The tooth should stop where the color changes. And Ray - you used the word "him" three times when discussing the proper method of mounting a hippo. Confused

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
I agree with the post that most hippo mounts just don't look right. The best one I ever saw was the one Animal Artistry had at SCI a few years back, with half of the animal coming out of the water, but takes up a ton of floor space.

I agree I have only seen a couple of shoulder mounts that look right. The two places where the taidermists screw up is in the mouth, and the shoulder area where it meets the wall! Most do not know where the different teeth go in the mouth, and the necks, and shoulders look like the hide was simply stretched ove a barrel! My favorite is the one from Animal Artistry, as well. The skull fitted into the wrought iron base of a coffee table with a glass top is a good way to mount the skull. This way the floor space taken up is useful.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote