New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuskless rifle dilemma
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Leaving 5/30 for my first ever ele hunt, tuskless in Chewore South with Buzz Charlton, Alan Shearing PH. The SAPS 520 was submitted weeks ago with my 375H&H and Merkel 500NE on it.
The 375 was for a kudu side trip if logistics work out.

Today at the range the Merkel started doubling on me. Just got it new last fall(ejector model).
Better here than over there, I know, but still, crap.

OK, so the Merkel stays home. To get my 458 Lott on a new pre-approved SAPS 520 would require a little fancy footwork. I know, I could get a new SAPS 520 when I get in J'Burg, just prefer a pre-approved one to avoid the circus at the airport.

My question is, should I just take some Barnes 300gr flat-nosed solids that I have on hand that shoot really well in my 375 and call it good? Waiting to hear from Alan about it.

What do you think? Thanks, Russ Green.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I would think your Merkel should be able to make it to GSI and back by end of month. Shipped priority both ways should easily do it. Any idea WHY it's doubling. Is it double triggers? My 470 Merkel would double but was easily solved by pulling rear first for me.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
when you pay that kind of money for a double rifle, why should you have to worry about which trigger you pull first? as to the original question, take the .375 solids and call it good.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Merkel has double triggers. It doubles when either the front or rear trigger is pulled, makes no difference. Even if GSI can get it fixed, I'm feeling a little snakebit right now, don't have a lot of confidence it.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cant you just fill out a new SAPS 502 and submit it on arrival if you cant get the Merkel fixed by then? I can't see why not.
Not sure about your US permits though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Your first mistake is over-nighting in RSA.

Send it back to Merkel and get them to fix the damn thing, in time.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your first mistake is over-nighting in RSA.

Agree. If there is not a compelling reason, just get to Zim and avoid SAPS altogether. That being said, the .375 is plenty for the tuskless. I prefer the .458 Lott, and killed an ellie in Zim in O6 that was trying to kill me with the .458 Lott. I'm taking it again in 3 weeks for buff and hippo. I'd leave the double at home. I'm hunting Chorwore South with Chifuti. I was unaware Buzz had concessions there this year.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would want something bigger than the 375 for cow eles in the Jesse, esp. tuskless cows. Buzz is known for getting in close where the chance of a charge by another cow escalates dramaticaly. Take the Lott. If you have an overnight scheduled in Joberg you can check your rifles through to Zim and stay overnight in the hotel at the Joberg airport. If you don't leave the airport you don't need to check your rifles in SA.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buzz is known for getting in close where the chance of a charge by another cow escalates dramaticaly

Buzz needs the video footage. Only thing better is if someone gets stepped on.
Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The decision to stay overnight in J'Burg was logistical. My alternative was to arrive in Harare about midnight or so. Not a happy place to be, much prefer Afton House for jet lag R&R. I was originally scheduled for Makuti, but when Buzz offered me a hunt in Chewore South I jumped on it. I plan on talking to Danny Spahn at GSI Monday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would have overnighted at Buzz's place no matter the hour. The whole SAPS thing is a real irritant. If not for that, you would have already decided to take the Lott.

Alan is hard to get ahold of sometimes unless you want to do it through the bush radio. Have Kristy ask him about it but he'll probably say bring whatever rifle you can get here with solids and let's go after it. He was my PH last year and he's a great guy. Tell him Bryan said hi.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking the Lott. Some guy advised to " Use enough gun". I think he was famous or something. If it means more time in the airport dealing with the SAPS 520, so be it. I don't want to wind up on the next DVD on the "Common mistakes" segment.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Head Trauma,

You are spending the night in Joberg anyway. fill in the SAPS 520 form and have all the paperwork handy and close by. So if you waste one hour at the airport it will not be the end of the world. If your paperwork is correctly done then the permit takes 15 minutes from handing it in.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to wind up on the next DVD on the "Common mistakes" segment.

Oh, come on, you'll be famous in Buzz's next DVD, or at least on YouTube. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take some solids for the 375 even if you do take the 458 Lott. Get the 500 fixed, HK-Merkle will turn it around for you ASAP. I'd bring a pillow and stay at the airport, or fill out the papers in 20 minutes. Next time do not spend the night in JoBurg and get on that 7:35pm flight to ZIM, I'm going to be with Buzz June 19th and I'm flying into Zim at 9:10pm and staying at a nice B&B, no headaches.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load one bullet. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Try shooting the rear trigger on your Merkel instead of the front one. To see if it still doubles and also if it shoots OK with either barrel first before the other.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a problem with my merkel a few years back, GSI had it fixed and back to me in 2 weeks

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT,

I've been in the same situation and nearly had a rectal bleed. My 458 cracked the stock length wise juat a short time before my safari in '96. My other big bore had a feeding problem and the two 375's that folks lent me had problems. One had a broken scope mount and the other did not cock on occasion when closing the bolt. I eventually took my 416 as a two shot. I got so stressed out over all this that it carried over into my safari effecting my shooting andenjoyment of the experience.

So my advise is if the 375 works fine and you have a good solid load for it just make up your mind to shoot it only and stop stressing over the double etc. and have a fun safari. There will be other safaris for the Merkel.

Good luck!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the .375, its plenty of rifle for a tuskless or a 100 pounder for that matter.....

The most dangerous thing about using a .375 on elephant around here is you will get chatised to no end, even after the ole Tembo is dead! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Pulled this post up from the deep.
had had a friend not so long ago ask if he should use his 375 on Tuskless and had to tell him I honestly could not recommend someone to do an early season Cow Ely hunt with a calibre less than .40 for reasons that occurred on this actual hunt.

Also would always recommend a night in Jo'burg when travelling to Zim so to greatly minimise delayed baggage.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
470NE, 500NE, 577NE, 600NE.

Tuskless are much more aggressive and need a good stopper.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ozhunter:
him I honestly could not recommend someone to do an early season Cow Ely hunt with a calibre less than .40 for reasons that occurred on this actual hunt.
QUOTE]

?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:

Good calibers for the PH but an accurate .375 with good ammo is all you will need. Low power scope would not go amiss.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Good calibers for the PH but an accurate .375 with good ammo is all you will need. Low power scope would not go amiss.

I don't like to rely 100% on a PH, they miss a brain shot to at times. Also wouldn't want to rely on a charging cow with a 375! Plus there's especially no need for a scope when hunting a creature that is usually less than 50 yards away.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What's the big deal, tuskless aggressive yes, charges possible most definately, very close encounter yep. So a 500 Nitro Express both barrels going off brain shot...D.R.T. I don't see a problem...

Mike jumping

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't like to rely 100% on a PH, they miss a brain shot to at times. Also wouldn't want to rely on a charging cow with a 375! Plus there's especially no need for a scope when hunting a creature that is usually less than 50 yards away.

Not sure what you are saying?

That you cannot brain an elephant, a football size target, with a .375 or any other caliber at fifty yards. PH cannot do it either?

The 375 and 9.3 has brained more elephant in Africa than all the other calibers put together. Charge or no charge.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
Yes, you misunderstood my point, again.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure what you are saying?

That you cannot brain an elephant, a football size target, with a .375 or any other caliber at fifty yards. PH cannot do it either?

The 375 and 9.3 has brained more elephant in Africa than all the other calibers put together. Charge or no charge.

PH's that can do that are few and far between.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Totally disagree with that statement.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
quote:

Andrew,

Guess you don't know what the hell you are talking about! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
BTW...what ever became of the doubling Merk?

Did it get fixed???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
quote:

Andrew,

Guess you don't know what the hell you are talking about! Wink

I'd be happy to stand corrected. Just post the videos of whomever PH is braining charging cows as a matter of course, with a 375 or otherwise.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I do like the virtues of a light and handy rifle like one of my 9.3s . Just not in the thick stuff with a mob of angry Cow Elephant. That what the 470s for.

Andrew, Its a bit like you feelings for deep or shallow water. Wink

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In 1998 I killed my first Ele, a bull, with a .375H&H. I immediately started looking for a larger caliber. Now I have a .416Rem, a .458Lott and a new 500 NE, and the .375 has never gone to Africa again.

Will (Bill Stewart) has it right. Read his new book "Elephants and Elephant Guns". You can kill an Ele with a .22LR but nobody I know does so.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never understood the "pull the triggers in the wrong order" solution. If you've hunted with doubles for very long -- rifles or shotguns -- it simply can't be done.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and killed an ellie in Zim in O6 that was trying to kill me with the .458 Lott.

Was it poor shooting on her part?? Big Grin Big Grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 849 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I originally thought this was a current post by Head Trauma.

After reviewing, I have these questions:

1) If the gun was bought in the Fall, I question how much the gun had been shot over the 4-5 months prior to getting to his hunt. A new double should be shot at least 6-10 times a week for proper break-in, familiarity, and to hone the shooting skills.

2) Had anyone other than Head Trauma shot this gun and experienced the same doubling result? Just last week we had two individuals think they experienced doubling in shooting the .470 and .500 Merkels, but photos prooved the finger had slipped to the rear trigger causing a boom/boom firing.

3) Had a trigger job been done on the gun? Doubling often occurs after someone had a trigger job done. I know I had the triggers adjusted on one of my personal Merkels a couple of weeks ago, and Herbert at Merkel USA would not adjust lower than 3.5front/4.0rear.

Interesting thread that started before I joined the forum.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just last week we had two individuals think they experienced doubling in shooting the .470 and .500 Merkels, but photos prooved the finger had slipped to the rear trigger causing a boom/boom firing.

Much more common than is ever admitted! Smiler Pull the rear trigger first.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
On a serious note, I have shot many different double rifles of various makes and grades. From 600 down to the 45/70.
One thing that sticks out in my mind is two Merkels I have shot a 500 and a 470. The technique I use to control the recoil on both rifles the safeties went back on from recoil with me holding
them tight. This happened with me shooting both multiple times.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote